Friday, October 29, 2004

I've been enjoying the CD Sam sent me. Here are the lyrics to one of the songs that really ministered to me this morning--

Here I am, Lord, kneeling at Your feet
A broken spirit longing for mercy.
My heart is longing, Lord
This is my plea--
Take my sin and purify me.
Lord, I give you all of me.

words and music by Sam Middlebrook (c) 2003

There are several others that have been especially meaningful--in fact, I found myself wishing he'd been with us at ZOE to share some of these songs. Thanks again for sending this, Sam!


This weekend we have a lot going on. Maddie is so excited about Sydney Williamson's birthday party she can hardly stand herself. One night she even slept with the invitation--perhaps it's because it's a princess party??

Saturday night we have a leadership dinner for all those in leadership at OC and those who are steering the Reach Campaign. We will all give our pledges for the campaign that night and let that be the starting point for the church in its giving.

Sunday we'll enjoy some time of worship together and Sunday night we'll have "trunk-or-treat" in our back parking lot for the kids of OC, Church of the Redeemer and maybe neighborhood kids too.

Speaking of Redeemer, I met with Thomas McKinzie yesterday--pastor of the new Church of the Redeemer who meets in our building on Sunday nights. I was surprised to find him around my age. We had a great conversation and a good laugh. I left there feeling so thankful that we've been afforded this opportunity to journey with a group of people we wouldn't otherwise have much contact with. It's a cool thing they're doing.

This weekend we'll see lots of kids dressed up as all sorts of things. Again, it occurs to me that often we send a message on these types of holidays. It completely makes sense to me why people don't want to "celebrate" a holiday that was marked for evil purposes. However, sometimes I think our closed doors and humbug attitudes can send a message that can be misinterpreted. (Don't bother us, we're religious. We don't care for you. You're less than--because you're trick-or treating. God is exclusive and you're out) That may sound over the top, but believe me, it's the impression Christians give all through the year--not just on holidays we may or may not share with the world around us. I'm not saying go out and have bloody eye balls on your door or witches flying from your windows, but let's at least be ready with warmth and cheer. Really, how many times do our neighbors come and knock on our doors. It's an opportunity!

Here are a couple of pics from Maddie's Harvest party at school. Ella's not dressed up but will be this weekend. Maddie's teacher, Ms. Dele was Cinderella. The girls are both fairy princesses--along with EVERY OTHER GIRL at school. Of course, not every other girl has mommy who can make her costume! Sheryl is a wonder--for sure!

Have a safe weekend and let me know if there are ways you're being creative with your candy giving.



1 comment:

SG said...

Beatiful girls! I love the pic from the reception. Fishers little boy has that red hair! Priceless!

I totally agree about the trick-or-treating. We have kids from other neighborhoods (across the bridge and in the ehh not so good part of town) come and trick or treat on our street. One of our neighbors (who also goes to our church)was being really negative about this and saying her light would be off and her door closed but if we wanted to bring our kids she would love to give candy to those who "belonged on our street." Made me think.. What would Jesus do?

At our house there are no tricks, just treats. We put orange and black streamers in our trees and turn on our porch lights as well as the flood lights and every light in the front of the house. We try to talk to all the kids and give real candy. I thought about printing up some little cards that say "Thankyou for stopping by" or something but I haven't figured that all out.

I just don't want to be a scrooge. I don't know what Jesus would do, but I can't imagine that he would sit behind a dark door letting all the kids pass him by. One night a year I will give candy to anyone who comes to our door, no matter where they are from or what they look like. All will be met with a cheerful smile and a genourous amount of sugar!