Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Well, the world of Corporate Church work never stops. The term corporate church work probably brings both positive and negative things to mind. I mean it in all those ways.

We're in the middle of our building fundraising campaign. It involves a lot of time. It's hard not to feel like there's a "spin" put on certain things. The good news is, I think our leadership has a sincere heart towards seeking the Lord in all these things. It's just so hard to know what to do with the corporate American church and all the things I've been reading and hearing from people like McClaren. The issue isn't buildings, it's more philosophy. I find that I am in complete inward turmoil over how to be the "new kind of Christian". I am immersed in modernity. I love this place and the freedoms we have here. I love our leaders. I just want to know how to build the Kingdom in ways that are lasting for this and future generations. Thankfully, the Lord knows how and, I am convinced, will show all of us.

There's so much on Tim right now. I am worried about him. Please pray for his strength and spirit right now. He's got a lot on his plate. His eyes seem tired. It's not an easy job to lead. Most of us know that. Would you mind just mentioning him by name and asking that the Lord empower him with wisdom, energy, and boldness from the Holy Spirit?

I am staring down the barrel of another deadline. We are supposed to begin Christmas rehearsals next week. I have an entire program mapped out, but am still questioning whether it's the right thing to do this year. We have done everything from a simple candle light service to a huge Broadway style, two act musical (Two From Galilee). The past few years we've gone more the concert route. It's Nashville, after all. Here are a few pictures of last year's show. It was based off the City on a Hill Christmas CD. It was so much fun--I think I am worried that nothing we find will be as fun as that was!









Pray for wisdom for me in planning. I always have a blast once it's going, but the planning part can sometimes be the hardest.

Anyone out there chewing on what McClaren said?

7 comments:

c said...

being that i wasn't able to attend ZOE conference and didn't hear McLaren, i'm not chewing on his discussions. but i am chewing on a conversation in my head that might be similar.

it is a book by a guy named michael frost, "The Shaping of Things to Come." the first chapter was available online at http://www.cms-uk.org/shaping/

anyway, their big push is returning to the missional phase of christianity instead of the institutionalized organization that was birthed during the days of Constantine and following. even though some of their ideas i don't agree with, they are wanting people to first be influenced by their view of Christology. this determines missiology which determines ecclesiology. and their basis question to all of us that resonates within me is this quote, "What has God called us to be and do in our current cultural context?"

glad you got through the conference. peace.

Tim Castle said...

I am DEFINITELY chewing on what McLaren said, and I think I'm dealing with the same issues you are. I'm really good at "doing Sunday morning." Everything I'm good at fits into our existing structure. I don't know how I can cultivate the things that will be needed by the next generation of Christians. My guess is that "going to church" will be either gone in 50 years, or it will look completely different.

For my part, I know that I need to teach my kids that they need God in every part of their lives, and they need other people to help them stay focused. Beyond that, I'm going to have to wait and see how to guide them as they grow.

RD said...

Still chewing. McClaren's stuff is real chewy! I bought all of the CDs so I could revisit the message. On a personal note, I'm trying to consider how the message from the conference impacts me. For instance, how do my actions, my respect and love for my co-workers across the hall fit into the Kingdom of God? I guess that is the kingdom breaking in.

I was most impressed by the idea of spiritual formation as "dance" vs. "lecture/intellectual". Few people know it, but I've got some really great dance moves (especially for being a C of C kid).

-Russ

Val said...

I've done so much chewing I need "mental floss." Get it? Man, I crack myself up. I've blogged a little on it because he helped me form some thoughts that had been bubbling under the surface for me. I guess the weirdest part is that despite the simplicity of some of his comments, we react as though they are so foreign. Again, it was great to get to see you and for that group to sit down to a meal together. It was also absolutely awesome to reconnect with Stephen. I think you helped God plant a seed in him that could really thrive. I am excited by the possibilities.

john alan turner said...

I think the danger with McLaren's comments is that we'll take his logic and apply it to a pre-existing template rather than a blank page. That would miss the point entirely. But we'll have to be really brave to re-invent rather than just tinker.

And to be honest, I've given up trying to figure out a way to "build the Kingdom in ways that are lasting for...future generations." They'll have to do it on their own. Sure, they'll be standing on our shoulders, but it won't look anything like I expect it to. It'll probably make what we did last weekend look like "three-songs-and-a-prayer".

At least I hope so.

Phil said...

Does anyone else think the terms "missional Chrisitian" and "missional church" should be redundant? Isn't that what we're supposed to be about? Getting outside our walls and comfort zones and taking the love and message of Jesus to the marginalized,

MichaelPolutta said...

Several things from the conference are still rattling around in my mind.
1 - I hope our "movement" learns from The Brethren and their history. I don't want to be "doomed to repeat" what happened to them (as Brian described).
2 - I wrestle with this one every year. It is hard to stay patient with our congregation and the eldership regarding worship style. Our attempts to stay "blended" mean that (for me) it is hard for our worship times to be consistently passionate. We're WAY too modern for my taste. However, I know I can't drive the worship times for our congregation based solely on my taste. There are 2 times of the year that do this to me - Palmetto Bible Camp in June and ZOE in October. Every time we return home from camp my daughter wants to know "Why can't our church be more like camp?!?" How honest do I need to be when I answer that? Or, rather, how much should I editorialize in my answer?
3 - I'm wrestling in "complete inner turmoil" also. I have peace in who God is, but learning to see my relationship with God apart from our corporate times(rather than integrated with them) is a challenge. So much of my view of what God is doing is related to what I see within our church body. I'm not very good at "in the world but not of the world." I have felt that discomfort for a long time, but McLaren's talks give me a framework within which to address those thoughts - but it's even more disturbing rather than more comforting. I still have too many pat answers from 42 years of "indoctrination". (is it even fair for me to use that word?)

LOTS of prayer going on here. Please - everyone - offer prayers for everyone chewing on Brian's information. Let us all test the spirits to see if they are of God. (I John 4:1)

Also - please pop over to michaelpolutta.blogspot.com and let me know your thoughts about worship planning.

Blessings!