Sunday, October 10, 2004

Things I have learned over the course of one weekend:
1. I don't really like the single life.

2. Ladder 49 is too long and the same scene repeated about 15 times.

3. Walking downtown was pretty cool. One t-shirt worn by a group of men from a gay community church read "Church shouldn't be the place you go to catch hell". As I mentioned, there was a noticeable lack of church involvement in this AIDS walk...aside from the churches like the one I just mentioned. Does support for those suffering with that horrible disease mean you have to embrace the lifestyle? I certainly don't think so, but it seemed kind of polar to me. One good thing--Jars of Clay was performing before the walk began. Dan had some really good comments and came across as someone who really cared. I wanted to stand and cheer. Praise God! It was an interesting day. I was really glad to be with Amanda and Geof.

4. I am extremely blessed by the friendships God has given me.

5. Friday Night Lights was AWESOME! I really loved this movie. It was really cool to see a lot of it filmed in Abilene at Shotwell Stadium. It brought back a lot of memories.

6. People seem to use sports and, perhaps, especially football to either bring good things into lives or to belittle. It's always been that way. How many fathers did we know who were like Tim McGraw's character? I thought Coach Gaines was portrayed in a positive light although his personality wasn't nearly as cool as the real Coach Gaines.

7. This point was proven after the movie when we ran into a friend who made some smart remark about sports to me that was neither funny or cool. He has since apologized.

8. Sometimes, I fear, Christians do the same thing. We use the cause of Christ to either bring good or to belittle.

9. I cannot watch any TV show or movie where little kids get hurt (ER re-run). It literally makes me sick to my stomach.

10. I am not sure we can apply business principles to Kingdom. And yet, we do it and put a Christian spin on it and make ourselves feel good about it.

11. The Church is a body--based on the Corinthian letters and every body, like it or not, has a sphincter. (Tim preached this morning on the power of the Church as a body of believers and said, "not everyone is a hand or an arm...some are sphincters and some are toenails." I wanted to die--laughing.)

These seem random. That's probably because I had a lot of random thoughts this weekend. Sheryl and the girls are driving even as I write. Hurry home!

4 comments:

Beaner said...

I thought the church as a body was funny too! I think some people at church are appendixes. They're sitting there every week but mostly you don't notice them. Sometimes you wonder why they're there. They don't sing or stay after church to visit. But one day they get ticked off, blow up & leave. Anybody else have appendixes at their church?

Unknown said...

Brandon,

I like the post. Good lessons we all need to learn, especially about Ladder 49. Clint Gilliam put up a great post today, check it out at clintg.blogspot.com

CL said...

Yes Brandon! Yes!

MichaelPolutta said...

1. When my girls are gone for a week I usually enjoy it for less than 2 days. Somewhere in the 2nd day I'm TOTALLY ready for them to return.
3. We taught our 5th graders yesterday, based on I Cor. 6:11, that they are to love folks from every walk of life.
10. So often we give public voice to those who have had business success within our fellowship, specifically due to their business success. There are MANY other voices that should be heard within our fellowship. Many servants.

Blessings to you as your family reunites!
Michael