Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The flights to Abilene were some of the best we'd ever had. Even American Eagle only threatened near death 3 times as opposed to the 20 or so that are expected on such a flight. We've had such a relaxing, wonderful time!!

We spent some time with our friend, Sally Gary on Tuesday night. Afterwards, my life long friend, Kyle Dickson came and kidnapped me and we went to Val Durrington's to borrow a squirrel trap. Yes, a squirrel trap. I loved Val's face as he opened the door--only expecting Kyle. One of the best things about going "home" is getting to see your friends. It's been great in that respect already.

This afternoon I helped Mom clean out some stuff. We also went through some old video tapes...Wylie High School concerts where Shawna Duff and I were singing Daddy's Hands and other less memorable moments. There was one tape of my dad interviewing my grandmother about all her memories. We enjoyed watching bits of that. There was a recital from ACU where many faces and voices of old friends--all Jeannette Lipford's students--came to life. John Scott Davis, Kellie Curtis, Gayla Hester, Julie Corlew, Wendy Wray, David Chrane, Holly Sparlin and on and on. (This post is for you, Anonymous. I like to call it my "names a plenty" post.)Like it or not, each of us has a history made up of names and faces. Some bring warm memories and others bring pain. These are the warmest of memories. Getting to see my dad on tape, my grandmother, my cousins and others in New Braunfels as we were kids. It was really a riot. Maddie exclaimed at one point, "Daddy was YOUNG!" Ouch.

Tonight we went over to Kyle and Camille Dickson's. Our kids had so much fun playing. Colin and Chloe were great hosts. It was nice just getting to visit in a low key environment. (Yes, 4 kids running and playing is lower key than the Homecoming weekend.) Being with them always makes me feel like moving to Abilene. They are great friends.

Tomorrow I am tackling the storage shed. Never mind that someone forgot to change the thermostat here--it's 94 degrees!! UGH! We are spending some time tomorrow night with our family's long time friends, the Lorenz's. Ronnie and Darla have been parents to me so many times over the years the lines were often blurry between who's child was whose. It will be nice being together.

Friday begins the festivities. Since Mom is moving, I am having all these nostalgic moments. I think we might even take in the Wylie High School pep rally that morning before ACU chapel. That evening is the carnival. The girls have been asking about it every day this week.

Saturday morning is Homecoming breakfast--do I really want to go pay $10 to eat with people I pledged with and under...only to watch men throw biscuits at current pledges? Doubtful. However, the parade starts at 9 and so we'll be getting ready for that. Maddie has her candy all prepared to throw. The rest of the day will be really full with the presentation and whatever speech I am giving at chapel and then the reception in the performing arts building. That night will be the Homecoming musical...Kiss Me Kate. It will be a full weekend, but lots of fun, I'm sure.

I honestly feel like I am on vacation. I know I needed this. I am thankful to God for the respite and the time with family. The girls have been so much fun. It's fun to watch THEM have fun. They love being here and have been so happy. Sheryl and I are loving the down time. Thank you, Lord, for providing rest for us!

5 comments:

JD said...

Sounds like a really great time. Rich memories ... thanks for sharing them with us. Enjoy every minute. Throwing biscuits? lol

Val said...

I'm just glad you didn't mention that I answered the door in my boxers. DOH!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

LOL!! Val--you're right...I came close to saying that though.

JD--yes, biscuits. Mature, huh?

Mike--sorry--just now checking this. What about tomorrow. Call MY cell. We have lunch open. Talked with Ronnie Lorenz tonight. Remind to to tell you.

Anonymous said...

BRANDON - Remember the baby chorus in Summerstage?! How are you, my dear? I just googled my name for no reason at all, and found this blog mentioning my name. Awwww, so good that you have those tapes. I'm jealous!!!! Email me sometime. Would love to hear about your life. I'm married now, living in Santa Monica, CA and with a baby on the way! My e-mail is hollysarge@yahoo.com. Would love to reconnect! Love, Holly

Anonymous said...

P.S. Last post was from Holly (Sparlin) Sargeant