Thursday, July 09, 2009

Pain Scale...an 8

Some of you know about my back and neck issues I've been dealing with for the last two months. I started really being bothered by it at the end of May when I was on the NCL Majesty. It has been gradually getting worse. Things like being in the studio for three weeks at night didn't help. (if you look at those pics or videos while we were recording, you can tell I was hurting.) While we were on vacation I had some pretty unbearable moments. It's just gotten worse from there.

I've seen a Chiropractor, family doctor, and now also a physical therapist at STAR in Nashville. Honestly, I have been miserable. Yesterday was probably my worst day. I was in tears last night.

I covet your prayers. I'm working hard to get it under control and trying hard not to exacerbate the issue. However, I have a very long flight on Saturday and I am praying it will be ok. I'm flying to get on a ship for a week...in Barcelona. I am excited about being in Spain (I'll also get to see Rome and Malta) but am dreading the flight.

I hate to be a downer, I just haven't even wanted to mention it in blog posts. I am to a point now where I just need it to be different. Have any of you tried acupuncture? I ever thought I'd EVER hear that word cross my lips, but I'm actually considering it.

Ultimately, we know where healing is found. I covet your prayers. Thanks, blog fam.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I'm sorry to hear you're hurting. I can relate... the only physical pain I had that hurt enough to make me cry was back pain (not even unmedicated childbirth came close to that pain). I hope you find relief soon.

annie said...

I haven't had quite the pain you're having, but I've struggled on & off with neck & shoulder pain for years. It does affect everyday life, & trying to stay "up" for work & family situations does add stress to your condition. I'll be praying for you as you travel the long distance to Europe. Don't hesitate to keep us informed on how you're feeling----well or crummy! That's what blog friends are for. :)

All the best to you & your fam while you're away from them.

Amanda Brooks said...

Yes. Call Kyle or Geof. I also emailed you.

Dana said...

You definitely have my prayers. I too suffer from chronic back and neck pain. I had my first neck surgery in December which gave me much needed relief in my neck and my arm. Physical therapy has helped do wonders for me in the past. I did a trip to Rome in November just before my surgery. My best advice is to get up and move as much as you can and drink lots of water during your flight. I know that sounds strange but keeping hydrated will help the pain. I am so sorry you are hurting. I hope you can enjoy your trip. Rome is amazing!

Kelley said...

I too never thought acupuncture would ever be something I would consider, but back in the winter I was diagnosed with a rare auto immune disease. One of the side effects of the disease is muscle pain, sometimes very severe muscle pain. It got unbearable and I was falling into a deep hole of depression as a result. I felt trapped inside my own failing body. Someone shared some info on acupuncture with me and I decided to give it a shot. Honestly the pain was so bad that if someone had said, "Eat an old dirty shoe cause it will help" I would have done it.
I got immediate relief from some of the muscle pain at the first visit. Over a period of weeks, I got relief from most all of the pain. I've had to learn some new relaxation techniques and make some major lifestyle adjustments, but the acupuncture was worth every penny.
God bless you as you deal with this. I know it can be hard.

Chris said...

If you haven't already, I would see an orthopedic doctor.