Monday, March 28, 2005

We had an incredible day yesterday. Both services were really great! The choir did a fantastic job, Sonya and Philip did a wonderful job with the drama. (Owen, it was great. I'll send you a copy of the CD.) Tim's message was powerful and ended with having Otter Creek people testify to what the Lord has done in their lives by asking different groups of people to stand if they'd experienced the power of Christ in their lives. Some specifics he mentioned were--healing in marriages, restoration of broken families, a breaking of the slavery to sexual issues, a healing for loneliness and more. It was powerful.

After our worship time we all (our family, Fajita's family, and Aunt Kiki) made our way to my mom's house. She was, of course, the grand hostess! We had delicious honey baked ham, orange salad, sweet potato casserole, green beans, potato salad, and coconut cake. It was really such a great day. I'm so glad she's here.

After lunch we all crashed. I don't know when I have slept like that. For you worship ministers out there you know what I mean. There's nothing quite like the sleep you get the night (or afternoon in my case) AFTER your big Christmas or Easter program. So much work goes into them. It's so rewarding though--pouring time and energy into something that will lift up the name of Jesus. There are other times when that kind of exhaustion hits from doing things like Habitat for Humanity or other kinds of service projects. All are important and we are testifying through each different activity what Jesus means to us. It's important to take time to do both--to live out the life we've been called to live, serving, ministering, loving, reaching out, caring for people, etc. And it's also important to stop for moments like we had yesterday where we remember who we're serving and testify together. Neither should be independent of the other--in my opinion. People on both sides argue the importance of one over the other, but aren't both important? Those whose hearts beat for worship need to balance their time to make sure that their "worship" includes lifestyle and daily act of giving themselves to Jesus through serving people. And--those whose hearts beat for service should not come to worship with arms crossed judging others who are engaged in passionate worship to the Lord.

We are a body--made up of many parts. I don't think we can hear that enough. My thumb and my mouth have very, VERY little in common. However, they are both really important to the function of my body as God created it. Imagine if my thumb said, "Look at that mouth up there. What a lazy bum! He can't even pick up anything or help carry things. It looks like all he's doing is sitting there like he's along for the ride...all talk and no action. Geez--why can't he be a thumb?"

What if my mouth said, "Look at that thumb down there. He can't sing, he can't talk, he can't speak words of encouragement, he seems like a bump on a log. He can't communicate like I can. He can't smile or frown. He can't even word a prayer. Does he even care about God?"

Ridiculous, huh? I know I've been guilty of doing that with people in our church. I will probably continue to struggle with feelings like that. BUT--the truth is, we need each other. We are connected to the body--even though we are completely different, have separate giftings, interests and abilities. We are connected to the Body and we have a function to carry out. Working together, we create something really beautiful. In service, the thumb is able to help physically while the mouth speaks words of encouragement or healing. In worship, as the mouth sings or prays, the thumb and hand are lifted as a symbol of vulnerability or offering unto the Lord.

Maybe it's an image that seems like a stretch, but I couldn't help but think about it yesterday. I'm grateful for the Body of Christ. I am thankful that we aren't all alike and that God can accomplish His purposes through us--even in our differences.

Today is Monday. I'm home with my girls and we're painting the nursery preparing for Baby Sam. I'm thankful for the freedom I have because of Jesus. I am thankful for the love I've experienced in my life that never would have been known otherwise. I hope your weekend was wonderful.

4 comments:

MichaelPolutta said...

I have long theorized that leading worship is one of the most exhausting things simply because it is a draining thing to come before God. In a good way, but physically draining on this "old body". Really makes me anticipate my "new body" when that time comes. There is a "being jazzed" sense from deep worship, but I always sleep DEEPLY afterwards. I led two different services yesterday, and was WIPED OUT last night!

Blessings,
Michael

MichaelPolutta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Generous Kitchen said...

My brother recently said he thinks worship leaders have it the hardest when it comes to actually worshipping. It was good to hear that sympathetic view from someone who is not a worship leader.

I will also say that when I can snag a Sunday afternoon nap, there is nothing more delicious!

This year, God has shown me over and over how important each part is. More than ever before. I know it's something my heart needed to open up to. In fact, it's been heavy on my heart for a month or two that I need to go to a couple of people in the church and tell them I love and appreciate them...which will be very hard because they (particularly the wife) are critical of me. It's a quiet, passive, dislike they have for me for reasons unknown to me. So, I guess I'll have to take the prodding and do what God wants me to do. Yuk...I hate it when those things become so clear you can't ignore them!

Love you, brother.

Fajita said...

It was good to see you all over the weekend. Had a great time.