Wednesday, March 23, 2005

My year anniversary of blogging came and went and I didn't even realize it. Here's a look back at a sentence or two from my first entry in March of 2004.

Day one

I am embarking on a journey that I pray will be meaningful, disciplining, heart felt, and even humorous. To journal about one's journey in this life certainly takes courage, but for me--more discipline than anything else. As I struggle through living the life of a worship leader, a husband, a pastor and everything else that somehow gets attached to me, I pray that God will bless this writing and that He will use it to encourage someone else. So...here we go!



Several days into blogging
I don't know what the end of this story is for me. It's possible that the next time you drive through at Taco Bell you'll hear a familiar voice saying "whatcha want?" But, what seems more likely is that God will be faithful to bring me through this season of difficulty and give me tools for ministry as I walk ahead in faith.


Hopefully, some of those beginning goals have been achieved. I still struggle some days with candor and honesty and sometimes it just equals a great big bowl of creamed corn. But, overall, it's been a wonderful exercise this year.

Please pray for me today as I try and finish up last minute things for Easter and rehearsal tonight. The meeting yesterday is still weighing heavily on my heart. Consequently, as things go in churches, groups of people have discussed this matter and are coming to their own conclusions. It's all well intentioned. Mostly. Anyway!! Thank you for allowing me to share bits and pieces of my journey with you along the way. I look forward to more moments together.

Oops--one last thing to leave with you. Maddie has gotten to where she loves to sing in the bathroom with the door closed. I think it's the acoustics. I remember going out to the garage as a kid and singing songs as loud as I could to hear the sound in there. Anyway--what strikes me as funny is that her song of choice lately as she is in there sitting on the toilet is... "Here I am to Worship".

5 comments:

wstaple said...

Brandon,

Hopefully, you'll enjoy this small bit of humor.....another funny song choice for Maddie would be Switchfoot's "I Dare You to Move".....

Jenni said...

I'm so glad that you are blogging, Brandon. For one, it has opened up a whole new world of blog friends - including you! So glad that we finally were able to really meet in person as adults. For two, I love hearing about what is going on with you and your family. Being still single, I love to live vicariously through the chilren of my friends. And finally, I really appreciate your honesty and transparency in your ministry. I struggle with being open and honest with my feelings. I put on my "I'm strong, perfect, happy church face" way too often. I need to hear from others that I admire that they struggle, too. Thanks - keep writing and I promise to keep reading!!

SG said...

I used to use our bath tud and split shower curtian as a stage. I had the best audiance... the mirror!

Happy Blogiversary! I have come to love an depend on my daily dose of Brandon! And yes for me it has been meaningful, disciplining, heart felt, and even humorous! Well especially humorous. Ilve keeping up with you this way bud! Give my best to Sheryl, as I type I have an ice pack strapped to my back. No big, just over did it in the yard. But I feel for her having to endure pain and pregnancy at the same time! Love ya!

julie said...

Brandon, I am so glad that you started blogging a year ago. When I think back over the year of blogs you put out to us I can remember moments of deep searching, questioning, strong calls to prayer, conversation with people walking so many different journeys, personal spiritual formation and community spiritual formation, struggles, new life starting that was quickly named Sam, church problems and moments of unity and peace, and the best of all...funny stories that had these 4 wonderful characters in them named Brandon, Sheryl, Maddie and Ella. Stories of Brandon taking care of two little girls in many ridiculously hysterical situations...panties in Brandon's pocket, cell phone not working and pay phone being repeatedly hung by little girls, funny words and phrases from those same two little girls. Also many funny stories involving Brandon all by himself...my personal favorite...the dentist and then someone reading it and taking it to that very same dentist.
Brandon, thank you for being real and allowing us all to laugh at ourselves and at you. You are precious. May God continue to bless your words and the conversation that comes after those words.
grace, Julie

Candy said...

Brandon - I add my thanks. Your blog has been a blessing to me also. You have added so much to my days thru your writing and I am grateful. My biggest regret is not meeting you at Lectureship this year. Maybe next time.