Monday, March 07, 2005

Great ZOE meeting yesterday at our house and then a really awesome life group night. Community is so important. I am so glad to have community with the people in our group. We shared some pretty important things last night and were able to pray for each other. It really encouraged me.

This morning I met Mike Cope, Jeff Walling, Greg Taylor, Randy Gill, and Eric for our ZOE planning meeting for the fall conference. We had a great day together-enhanced by lunch at Baja Burrito. I am really pumped about the theme we are working on for the fall conference. We're going with something about incarnation-not in the Christmas sense, but talking about how God's love became flesh. And now, we are the flesh behind His Kingdom here. We embrace the incarnation and it's not a nice sermon on a Sunday morning but instead a way of life. It should change everything. If you know any songs you want to suggest with that theme in mind for the recording, please do. ("In Christ Alone" is a great one!)

Back last January I went in to the Vanderbilt University Allergy Sinus Clinic. A producer from ABC just happened to be there working on a story about allergies. The Nashville ABC affiliate bought an hour of prime time to air the show. They asked me that day if they could follow me around and I agreed. The show aired tonight. The most hilarious thing was that the segment on me began like this... "Brandon Thomas is MISERABLE." Sheryl and I both laughed out loud. The second most hilarious thing was that based on how I looked, it was no surprise to anyone that I felt miserable. Nothing like seeing yourself on TV being the allergy poster boy. They even showed me getting my arm prick allergy test. Why me? Christy McInturff called immediately and laughed out loud at me while we both watched them look up my nose on TV. Not pretty.

It's a busy week ahead for us. Tomorrow night I am taking Maddie and Ella to eat dinner with the people at Room in the Inn at Otter Creek. I've been trying to tell Maddie that there are people who don't have houses or beds (she's been so excited about her big girl bed and she actually offered to put it in the van to take with us for someone to have. I don't think she actually knows what she was offering, but it was really sweet!). Tomorrow night will be a great time for them to meet some of the really nice people who come to escape the cold nights, get several nice meals, and a warm shower. I am looking forward to it. It's a start.

Thursday night we begin recording. I am asking you to pray for us. Please pray for an anointing on that time and for God to keep us healthy.

Tomorrow morning at staff meeting, our newest minister will be joining us. Doug Sanders who is leaving his VP position with Purity Dairies (the man's job was choosing and managing ICE CREAM FLAVORS! Hello? I think I have found my true calling.) Doug is our new admin. minister. We are all very excited about this addition to our staff. Doug is a tireless worker and has already given so much to OC. I know this will be a real blessing to us.

Please continue to pray for Jonathan and Thomas. Both seem to be showing signs of continued healing. Thanks for always praying for us too. I'm thankful for you.

8 comments:

Phil said...

Dude, you should just feel lucky that I didn't have the VCR running tonight.

Some of that footage would have showed up on the Timbotrons at some point in the near future.

Jenni said...

Brandon, there is a great Michael Card song called "The Final Word" - I have it on the Joy in the Journey CD. I think it first the theme as you explained it here....

"The Final Word"
by Michael Card
Hebrews 1:2

You and me we use so very many clumsy words
The noise of what we often say
Is not worth being heard
When the Father's Wisdom
Wanted to communicate His love
He spoke it in one final perfect Word

Chorus
He spoke the Incarnation
And then so was born the Son
His Final Word was Jesus
He needed no other one
Spoke flesh and blood so He could bleed
And make a way divine
And so was born the baby
Who would die to make it mine

And so the Father's fondest thought
Took on flesh and bone
He spoke the living luminous Word
At once His will was done
And so the transformation
That in man had been unheard
Took place in God the Father
As He spoke that final Word

Chorus

And so the Light became alive and manna became Man
Eternity stepped into time so we could understand

Chorus
And so was born the baby
Who would die to make it mine

Jenni said...

"fits the theme" is what I meant to type....

k2 said...

brandon,

i still think that the casting crowns song "if we are the Body" would really fit the theme of what you are trying to convey for the next fall conference.

IF WE ARE THE BODY

Lyrics by Mark Hall
Music by Casting Crowns

It's crowded in worship today
As she slips in trying to fade into the faces
The girls teasing laughter is carrying farther than they know
Farther than they know

Chorus:
But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going?
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way

A traveler is far away from home
He sheds his coat and quietly sinks into the back row
The weight of their judgmental glances
Tells him that his chances are better out on the road

Jesus paid much too high a price
For us to pick and choose who should come
And we are the body of Christ

Jesus is the way

(c) 2003 Club Zoo Music / SWEC Music (Admin. by Club Zoo Music) / BMI. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

we love what you do and i'm sure that the angels are singing along with you as God inhabits our praise.

ken

Jennifer said...

Which songs are you already planning to use on this CD? I've got a few ideas, but I'm interested to see what's nailed down so far.

Anonymous said...

BST
Chris Tomlin's "More Than Enough". At least I believe it is on one of his album's. I know for sure pretty much that it is on a Jeremy Camp album. Powerful truth and message to the song.
-zac-

Corey said...

Real cool, BST. You know I can't think of suggestions after you mention Baja Burrito for at least 24 hours. That is a reason in and of itself to go to Nashville. My kingdom for a Baja Burrito or a Baja Fresh or a Chipotle in Abilene...

Stephen Bailey said...

I need a copy of that news story. I'm putting together a BST reel that includes showing pigs, numerous theatre and sing-a-ling performances, shirtless cruise ship scenes and other unmentionable footage from college. "Brandon Thomas is MISERABLE" I love it!