Monday, April 28, 2008

Infinity Install

My flight to Acapulco was thankfully uneventful. The best part was the flight attendant who, in a very Texas accent, kept saying what a niiiiiice day it was and kept referring to “Acapooco”. No one else seemed to think it was funny, but I know for certain I laughed out loud at least once.

I was really surprised at the size of Acapulco. I never knew how big it was. It is a very large city. I rode a taxi about 30 minutes from the airport o the pier. My life flashed before my eyes. I honestly wasn’t sure I would live to see the ship. I couldn’t get out of the car fast enough. :)

Rebecca (our production manager) and Tony (Celebrity’s production manager) met me at the pier and got me situated on board. The Infinity is a beautiful ship! There was a nice string quartet playing in the atrium and I was glad to be on board and ready to see both casts. (I taught the cast that’s ending their contract here too.)


This is the Infinity!


The new cast took me to dinner that night. It was so great to be reunited with all of them!


rehearsals of "Celebrate the World". This was taken from the third level inside the theater. It's a very nice, big theater.



It was also great to see the old cast again! They've had a LONG 8 month contract through South America--but they've gotten to see some amazing places! It seems like yesterday they were in Nashville in rehearsals! (L-R) Brad (USA), Jason (Canada), me, Adriana (NYC), Eno (London/Nigeria)


Eno and Adriana


Jason, Brad and me

The next day I watched the new cast do a dress run of the Fats Waller show. It was great!

Katelyn, Scott, Andrew (all USA) and Danil (Russia) pose before the run


Holly (USA), Tracey (UK), Laura (Scotland), Natalie (USA) My Infinity singers-- Adam, Jennie, Jeremy, Courtney, Dustin
The cast did a great job on their run. These show are extensive with costume changes, flown sets, and lots of tech cues. Below are some pictures from our tech run of "Celebrate the World"

Venetian section
Ireland


There are moving levels on stage that make it really interesting. As the dancers do this Irish number (Lord of the Dance style) the level raises up and begins to turn around. It's cool to see!

Russia


This is the African section...very cool too!
Yesterday the cast did a dress/tech run of their Broadway show. Here are some pics--

West Side Story
West Side Story
Les Miserable
Chorus Line
On Saturday night I got to watch the old cast do their final show on board. They were fantastic! I was so glad I got to see them perform together one last time. They did "Celebrate the World" that night. The costumes are really amazing. Here's a picture of the final song--"Rio". The dancers all have beautiful costumes resembling the festivities in Rio.


The new cast and I enjoyed watching and cheering them on. Pictured here--Sanci (Hungary), Laura (Scotland), and me

Posing here with Katelyn, Adam and Tracey


After the show I went backstage to congratulate the cast and we took this picture. (L-R) Derek, Adriana, Jason, me, Brad, and Eno. Congratulations on a great contract! May God bless each step you take.

Our new cast is ready to hit the ground running. They will be a big hit. Amazing voices, amazing hearts! Blessings to all of you!

I am getting ready to head to Los Angeles to meet my family and sing with ZOE this week. I am excited to see Sheryl and the kids!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! In that 6th picture, Adriana looks just like Laurie Wolfe from Otter Creek. Crazy! Hope you're having a ball. Safe travels.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I know...crazy, right? I really miss you, Laura!!

For anyone wondering how I taught this cast 8 months ago...I did some subbing in as vocal director in my off time and as a favor to Gary. It was in tht time thatI taught them--only one show out of their 3-4 shows. It was also during that time that I really began to wonder if this was something God was calling me to. So that cas has a special place in my heart.

I am in Cali today and will get to see my family tonight. WOOO-HOOO!!

SG said...

I know it is a job, and whole lot of work, and you miss your family, and traveling for work isn't as /cool/fun/glamorous as it looks... But still dude... You get paid to go on cruises!(I know,I know that is just a small part of it...but still! I hope you are loving it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...the shows look awesome. Safe travels to you, bro!

Terry

Anonymous said...

Brandon,
I have to tell you a story from a small little corner of our world here in Tulsa. And I don't have your e-mail, so I guess I have to publish it. :) First off, it was great to see you in Tulsa! I am looking forward to seeing you in Arlington and hopefully getting to meet your sweet wife.
Okay, so I wanted to tell you that Shawn and some of the Garnett Praise Team led chapel at our kids' school. It is a Christian school and probably 98% of them worship with instruments (Which is great, I am just informing you of the background). Sometimes you never know how that will go over, singing acapella when most people aren't used to it. Well, anyway, they did an amazing job, was such a neat time. Everyone kept saying over and over how blessed they were. They sang "You Are God Alone" and a couple of dear friends were in tears, one whose 43 yr. old husband just had a heart attack and happens to be the headmaster of our school! And another whose husband left her and her dad was days from passing away. Well, her dad did end up dying on Sun. and she came by to borrow Overflow from me to take on that trip because she said she didn't think she could do this without it! (By the way, Jill is going to buy 2 CDs for me while she is at Pepperdine to bring back to those friends.) Anyway, so many were touched and I just thought you should know that story, because you guys work so hard and produce such great quality music that sounds great, and it helps spread these neat songs around for other churches to learn them! We are very thankful for the talents God has given you, and are very thankful for the way you use them to serve His kingdom. I hope you have great week at Pepperdine!
Blessings~Arlene Mayes