Sunday, July 22, 2007

I had what I would call a "BST" moment this morning. Our good friend Juanita who got married and moved to Santa Fe was back at Otter Creek with her new husband. Her nickname for years has been "Midget". She is a very pretty, put together woman whose nickname really just doesn't fit except when you get to know her. She's a nut. So, during the intro to "Meet and Greet" time this morning I said something like... "And there's Midget over there!!! Everyone be sure to welcome her!" Once I released the crowd to mingle, a praise team member pulled me aside and asked me who the "midget" was and why in the world I said that to everyone. She said that it sounded like I said, "And there's a midget over there, be sure to welcome her!" OH MY.

So, later in the service when I was covering the announcements I said, "I feel compelled to explain my earlier comment about 'Midget'. Juanita's nickname is Midget, there's not actually a midget here this morning...not that there's anything wrong with that....I mean...it would be fine if there were a midget here... that would be just fine...I mean...let's move on people." There was laughter and we moved on.

This afternoon Sheryl and Maddie got to go see High School Musical with Sarah and Sydney Williamson (live on stage). Since Maddie had a mommy date, I took Ella to see "Evan Almighty" while Sam stayed home with Nonnie. The movie was so fun!

Tonight we got to celebrate one of those incredible life moments with some of our ZOE family. Karin Hensley's son, Jackson (who SHOULD still be 5 in my mind but is now a teenager), was baptized at Otter Creek. There was a large crowd of family, friends and youth. Jackson's dad, Blake, baptized him. All of his siblings and Karin read scripture over him. It was amazing.


As I looked down the row and saw our ZOE family all watching it made me cry. We were getting to FEAST on this moment of pure joy...an answer to prayer! How awesome to see these kids come to know Jesus in real ways! Afterwards we snapped this picture (above) together.
Jackson, we rejoice with you and are so excited that you are our brother in Christ! Congratulations!

8 comments:

Phil said...

As soon as you came up to correct yourself, I looked at Al in the booth and said, "Oh, no. What's he doing?"

Good BST moment, but not nearly as good as the George Buck one.

Anonymous said...

There was a midget in the back who got up and left but was too short to be seen. sorry.

wstaple said...

Wow, Jackson getting baptized! I had alot of fun with him and the other boys his age in 3rd/4th grade Sunday school. Tell Jackson I'm proud of him!
Wade

Beaner said...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!" Classic.

Deb said...

Wasn't Zaccheus a midget? Jesus went to his house for lunch. I am soooo confused!

;)

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

he was wee. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Amy Anderson Westerman said...

Oh, Brandon!

You are as priceless as Sam eating the "peace" under the chairs! :)

It was a funny moment! :)

Tears came to my eyes, too, with all of us there to share in Karin and Blake's joy over Jackson. We have all been through so much together-- good and bad.

When you feel like that about people, you never have to question their hearts-- or worry that they think worship is a performance. You know better....

Only wish the "A-non-a-mouses" who post here knew you (and your heart) that well....

AW

mundiejc said...

Yes, George Buck is my all time favorite. But I definitely looked at Carrie with the "Did he really say that?" face...

though, I think Tim has still got you beat. The sphincter thing.... the trailer trash comment... those were out of this world.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Perfect.