Saturday, August 26, 2006

This weekend has been full of important moments. Some are like the ones I wrote about last week...snapshots that you want to just freeze in time. Others are like snapshots of you from 5th grade that you want to burn in case anyone might possibly get their hands on them.

First, Sheryl brought the kids up yesterday afternoon while she worked at the Otter consignment sale (it was AWESOME!). Maddie and Ella were in the sanctuary trying on different costumes from my office (from old Otter musicals and things). They would dress up, sing and dance, and then Sam would clap for them. It was so adorable. Then we brought out three stools and I sat in the middle and the girls sat on either side. Sam crawled around. We sat there for probably 25 minutes just singing. They wanted to sing You are Holy, I Will Worship, Shout Hallelujah, What Can Wash Away My Sin, etc. They sat on their stools and just belted it out with all the gusto they could manage. It even sounded really good!

Second, through Doug Sanders' AWESOME connections with Metro Housing, today we were able to deliver a refridgerator to a family who lived in the projects. They live in what we would consider 3rd world conditions...no air, no fridge, no stove, no food, only a mattress on the ground, but lots of smiles.

After dropping off the fridge we went to another area in the projects where a woman we'll call Janice lived. She's a single mom, 27yrs old, with a 5 yr old daughter (LaQuandra) and a 6 year old son (Elijah). They lost everything in a fire. Everything. Sheryl spent all morning rounding things up with the help of Maddie and Ella. I was proud of them for wanting to get rid of some of their "good" toys and dress up clothes. How many of us also have bedding sitting in closets we NEVER use? We were also able to take a bunch of kids clothes from the consignment sale to them. Anyway--Maddie, Ella, Sam and Sheryl came with me. Doug led us to "Janice's" house. LaQuandra ran out to meet us. Maddie and Ella disappeared upstairs (a nice, though little, place for the projects). Doug and I put her bed together and Sheryl helped unload some food. I went into "LaQuandra's" bedroom where she was telling Maddie and Ella she wanted them to see her toys. She pulled out this black bag and in it were 2 things---a stretchy thing that goes around a suitcase to hold it together, and a ratty old stuffed pink donkey that was losing all it's stuffing. She shrieked with delight at the dolls, dress up stuff, and books. Maddie and Ella beamed. On the way out Maddie said, "That was a good house...just the right size." They have no concept of "the projects". She just thought it was a cool place to live. I love the way kids think.

I say all that not seeking a pat on the back. I say it for this reason...I am so grateful for Doug Sanders. He is a GIFT to our church staff. It was his initiative that took us there...his idea. I asked him how Metro Housing got hooked up with him and he said simply, "Well, I just went down there one day and introduced myself to them and told them we wanted to help." DUH! I just continue to be grateful for the way he shows Jesus to me by helping push me outside myself.

Now, finally, I will NOT be giving full details on this part...and hopefully most of you won't have read this far (Russ Debenport won't for sure). You all know me well enough by now through stories and other things to know what a big statement this is...last night I had the single most embarrassing moment of my entire life. The only thing I'll give you is this...during a play at a community theater in east Nashville, I...let's just say that I had some issues. Issues which have caused me more humiliation than I ever thought possible...even for me. Someday, possibly at my funeral, my old college roommates (Stephen, Craig, Chris) can share the story in its entirety. For now, suffice it to say, I will never be the same. And neither will any of the people who actually saw me. BLESS. I believe that's enough sharing for today.

16 comments:

Craig said...

Oh my, what a night. I still laugh out loud when I think about your experience. I EXPLODED with laughter.

Karen said...

How could this be? I thought there weren't any In 'n Out Burgers in Nashville!

Jacinda said...

Wow. What a story. I have a visual and I'm trying to get rid of it!

Beaner said...

That would have been a good story for the 'Desperate' conf. Of course, if there had been a 'Closer' restroom???

Clarissa said...

Oh, I read that far, for sure. You are truly insane. (Yeah, I know, takes one to know one.) I guess Doug will always keep a change of clothes around for you, just in case ... oh, my. Good thing you ran, especially knowing that part of town ...

Stephen Bailey said...

You are brave for sharing that much. I don't know how you can top last night for comedy, danger or embarassment and frankly, I pray you never do.

Jenni said...

oh my ..... the visual that was created by just that little teaser.... you sure are brave for posting even that much!!!

great stories of your girls....they sure are learning how to give joyfully!

Kelley said...

Uh.....Words fail me on the underwear story.

On the part about the kids singing and sounding good....for the love....look at who their parents are!
If they couldn't sing, THEN we'd all be surprised!!!!

Clarissa said...

Ah, wisdom. Sheryl found out what you posted? :-)

Beaner said...

Craig Fisher's comment gives a clue to the missing part of the story!

RD said...

Russ might not have made it that far but you should know that I am a very thorough reader! However, I think you took out some of the details of your story by the time I got here.

On a completely different note, I spent the morning pulling a couple songs off each of my ZOE CD's. We're wanting to learn some new songs (instead of singing the same 12 songs over and over again). We'll start translating them into Thai this week. Should be a fun project for the next couple months. Hope all is well!
Rebecca

Stacey said...

Hmmm...my mind is running all over the place trying to figure this one out...

Phil said...

The story about Doug and the visit is really great. I think every OC member needs to go on a ridealong with him at some point.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

why the hate, Justin? Why the hate? (note to self...next time Justin's on praise team...turn his mic OFF!!!)

~Jodi~ said...

brandon, your blog is so great, and i say that not just for your funny stories that you share ( i feel bad for you on this most recent one but did have to laugh! poor guy!) but most of all i love the moments that you share that just show Christ's love in such real ways to others and for your kids to see lived out right before them.
hope you have a good tuesday!
blessings!

RD said...

Russ here. Not only did I read the entire blog, I read all of the comments and the unedited version thanks to Justin. This is quite disturbing. Actually, Brandon you would fit in fine here in Thailand. There are 5 different words in the Thai language for what happened that night. Oh by the way, thanks for sharing about your experience helping out in the projects. Let's all do that.
-Russ