Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Here are some snapshots of moments I've enjoyed over the last few weeks. (Blogger is finally letting me post)


Girls are ready for their dance recital!


Ella is having a blast!


curtain call


Daddy and Maddie at the recital.


No real change in David's condition. Please keep praying. Apparently, they thought Sunday night was it after he caught Pneumonia and couldn't breathe. However, he made a serious comeback in the early morning hours Monday.

Do you ever want to freeze time? I've had that feeling a lot in life. I remember having it with my father when my young mind realized that he would not live to see my wife and kids. I remember having it in college as I laughed myself hoarse with my roommates. I remember feeling that way at our wedding reception as we were surrounded by our dearest friends. I remember certain days, certain pictures, certain feelings that remain as snapshots in my brain.

I felt that way Monday as I watched Maddie walk up those big steps to her Pre-K class at Otter Creek. It had snuck up on me. I hadn't stopped to realize that there wouldn't be anymore family days on Mondays when everyone was home. I held her that night and wanted to freeze time.

After loving on Maddie, I went over to Ella's bed and scratched her back and told her like I try to tell her often, "There's nothing you can ever do to make me not love you. I love you when you're good. I love you when you're bad. I will always, always, always love you." Then I laid down next to her and gave her a big hug and said one last time... "I love you!!"

She turned over and looked at me with this dead pan expression and said, "You told me that three times. I think that's kinda weird." (in her growly little Ella voice.) I laughed out loud. She's a nut.

Reality is, time is fleeting. Every minute, every second means something. We have opportunities that are here and gone in an instant. We are but a blade of grass--here today and gone tomorrow. The love of God is from everlasting to everlasting.

Take time today to take snapshots. Soak it all in. Seize an opportunity. Say something you need to say to someone you love. Don't wait.

Here's one last snapshot to leave you with...Maddie on her first day of Pre-K

8 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

I so enjoy your posts about your children. Ella gets right to the point, doesn't she?

Drew Battistelli said...

I can think of moments I'd want to freeze time and make it last longer, but I also have learned that moving forward is the most important thing we can do as people. The faster we get through our time on Earth, the quicker we'll get to spend life with our Father in Heaven. Yay!

Although- I wouldn't mind being a kid again.

Beaner said...

About an hour ago, I took my kids on a walk for the last time before school starts. I let them go down by a pond & I stayed on the trail & watched them from afar. I saw how big they were & how seemingly happy & carefree too. I marveled that I had something to do with bringing these 2 souls to earth (God & my husband played big roles too!) Anyway...it WAS a moment in time & I took a mental picture.

I also have that same conversation with my kids before bed - almost verbatim! I want them to know that NOTHING will stop me from loving them. Ella is a hoot!!!

Katherine said...

I love love LOVE this post!! :)

Still praying for David...

Generous Kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Generous Kitchen said...

I stood in the parking lot of McDonald Hall at ACU and watched my beautiful, confident, precious girl walk into her new residence...both of us sobbing...wondering where the time had gone. Yes, soak it all up. It flies by

Val said...

Speaking of fleeting time, check out the picture on my blog right now.

Katherine said...

Sandra, your beautiful, precious, confident girl is living in my hall...and she is all those things!! We will take good care of her! :) Blessings~