Sunday, July 30, 2006

It was Saturday night. The year was 1983. We were in Hamlin, TX about an hour or so outside Abilene where my mom grew up. My Paw-Paw's house was on the corner and I can remember it like it was yesterday. He had these metal TV trays. We'd call the local hamburger place and order 4 hamburgers and fries (the burgers were perfectly greasy, and the fries were awesome!) and we'd sit in his small living room in the house where my mom was raised eating on our metal TV trays. Then that famous animated mule would come on the TV and most Americans would hear the song lots of us can still sing today... "Heeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwww, hee, hee, hee, haw, haw, haw!" (and you thought I was going for the profound?)

So, my buddy Amanda got to program the Hee Haw re-runs on CMT this weekend. We watched some of the marathon. (It's funny how a show like Hee-Haw can transport you to a specific time and place. I had that experience yesterday.) Several things struck me. For one thing, 90% of the jokes weren't even remotely funny. Secondly, 80's hair and country plaid just don't go together. And lastly, clogging just ain't what it used to be.

This week we are having a Hee-Haw party over at Minnie Pearl's old house (some of our friends now live there) and Lulu is coming. I'll bet the entertainment of the night will be the behind the scenes stories coming from Lulu! I'll be sure to give a report.

Here's to my hometown back in Abilene, TX...population 115,000 and growing. SALUTE!!

7 comments:

Katherine said...

Thanks for the salute to Abilene!! I also watched some of the Hee Haw marathon this weekend-man, I loved that show when I was growing up!! But you are right, it is not as funny now as it seemed to be then...but I still LOVE listening and watching Roy play that banjo!!! :)

Wow, that will be quite a party-please let us know how that goes!! Blessings~

Katherine said...

Oh, and no...I was not expecting profound! I feel like I know you enough to know better than that...ha ha! ;)

judy thomas said...

May I come to the party? You owe me. Love Mom

Generous Kitchen said...

I watched some of that marathon this weekend, also. It took me back...I laughed and cried. Precious memories!

markreeves said...

SAAAAA-LUTE!

I couldn't leave an Abilene brotha' hanging.

Hilarious that you're having a Hee-Haw party, and what a perfect place to have it. I saw some of the marathon this weekend too and it took me back. (I tried to take Alyssa back there with me, but she grew up further north where the Hee-Haw transmissions didn't permeate. She's more cultured for it...)

Funny how seeing Hee-Haw again had the same nostalgic effect on me. Burgers also accompanied every broadcast at my house, but they were from my father's grill. As a kid, we went on vacation to Opryland (remember it before it was a mall?) where we watched a live taping of a show. I met Lulu and got her autograph.

Good times.

Being too far away to crash that party just means one thing... gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Reever...
thanks, man! Hey--guess who's here in Nashville now and been at Otter the last few weeks? Corey Patterson! CRAZY! It's so fun looking out and seeing him. Wish YOU were here.
B

Lovell's Lookout said...

Well Good night nurse- Mark Reeves and BST talking about old times... Love the Hee-Haw stuff. I remember watching Buck Owens... man did that guy have talent!!!? I always had a crush on all the cute country chics... Great Memory.