Friday, May 06, 2005

Sunny!!! Praise God for sunshine!

We had a great day yesterday. Before class we met in the sacred stairwell in Smothers Theater. We've been meeting there for years. We discussed all the things we've laughed and cried about in that very stairwell over the last few years. We talked about our need for the Lord. We prayed for Sally and cried tears of joy that there was actually a forum this year addressing sexual issues. We prayed for another friend who we recently met who is here this year after getting out of prison (19 months). He said that at times he would just sit in his bunk and sing "ZOE songs". Such information is almost too difficult to process. What a blessing and honor to be a part of peoples' lives. By the time we were done praying we were a mess. THEN we had (got) to sit through another heart wrenching message from Mike. What a blessing to be a part of that class with him. There were so many people crammed in to the theater that people were sitting on stage and even to the sides of us. There is no more powerful time of worship (except the night sessions at ZOE Nashville when everyone is busting out). The power doesn't come from us--it comes from being in a room full of people who are panting to engage in worship. It comes from a God who meets those who seek Him with all their hearts. It comes from a higher level of expectation--expecting God to show up! It's definitely not us. We just get to be beneficiaries. What a HUGE blessing!!

We went to celebrate Cinco De Mayo by eating some great Mexican food at a little dive in Malibu. We were excited when Pierce Brosnan came in with his family. There's nothing like eating chips and salsa with James Bond!

Afterwards, JV and I headed off to get coffee while the rest of the group drove down to the Colony (a beach front residential area near Pepperdine). When we came back to the dorm they were glowing. Apparently, they saw Brad and Angelina. Like they need last names. We couldn't believe it!!

We eventually left to go rehearse for our late night time. We talked about the theme of desperation last night. It was truly a powerful time of worship. My goodness. Something just happens at night. Have you noticed that? For whatever reason, people seem more open at night. There was a huge outpouring of worship and openness. The open mic time was powerful. One man shared through tears his desire to be undivided. We could all relate. Other men and women shared beautiful passages of scripture that had fed them through times of desperation. I think we could have stayed there all night. Afterwards, I got to visit with a young brother who's 16. His desire is to be a worship leader and he wanted to share and pray about some things. I just can't get over the honor of being able to hear stories like I've heard this week. Another woman approached me after the late night session and told me that our session last year had started her on a year long journey to healing from abuse. What does one do with such information? I feel like a fly on the wall getting to hear and see such amazing things. We all know that God is the one doing these things and moving in hearts. Why He is allowing me to witness His glory like this is still beyond me. I am eternally grateful.

I got up this morning and ate breakfast with the group who is all leaving me today. I am doing class alone with Mike. That's a first. I'll really miss them. Towards the end of breakfast Eve began a story in her best story telling voice. She told of a group of friends who went to eat Mexican food and saw a movie star. She told of two of the friends who jumped in their little red car and sped off for coffee leaving the mini van full of other friends in the dust. She told of how the mini van drove to the beach to see who they could spot. Then she went on to say, "And since we didn't see ANYONE important, we made up a great story that our friends in the little red car completely bought!" I slammed my hands on the table and in my best Elaine impersonation said, "GET OUT!!" They totally got us. And we bought--hook, line... So, no Brad and Angelina.

I am thankful to be here today. I am thankful for the memories of this place. I am thankful for friends and stories I've yet to hear. I'm grateful beyond expression for ZOE. I love them so very much. I'm thankful that Sheryl and the girls are thriving at home. But I can't wait to see them! A very cute little red headed girl was dishing out yogurt across the line from me today and I almost wanted to go and hug her. I am ready to see all my girls. Love you, Sheryl! I'll be home tomorrow. YEE HAWW!

Meanwhile, I think I'll enjoy this beautiful day in Malibu. God is good.

3 comments:

Stephen Bailey said...

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Karen said...

Star sightings... cool. We're moving to northern California next month. I imagine we'll have to head down Malibu way.

But hey, when we were there househunting last week, we bumped into John and Sherry Rivers from KLOVE at the Jelly Belly Factory tour!

Jenni said...

Ok - I completely busted out laughing with the story that you got snowed. Sounds like something that only good friends even think to do - and then are actually able to pull off! What fun.