Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Rosepepper...yum! Such a cool little place out in East Nashville. If you're in town, stop by.

Last night as we were trying to get the girls settled down, I asked them about their day. (We've been loosely following the "examen" principles.) I'll ask them what the best thing about today was--or what blessed them today? Then I'll ask them what was something hard about today? Then we pray. It's been so interesting to see how girls ages 3 and 2 respond to this. They get it more than you'd imagine. Last night when I asked Ella about the day she told me that the biggest blessing was riding her bike at the park. The hardest thing to her about the day was "seeing Geoff". "He made me cry." OH MY. Ella got so embarrassed by her crush on Geoff that at dinner she literally turned into a statue and buried her head first in my chest and then Sheryl's. We really tried to underplay it so as not to make it worse. Bless her! Only the beginning.

After praying, Ella hugged me and said, "Daddy, I love your hat. Daddy, I love your hair." Then she stroked my arms with her tiny hands and said, "Daddy, I love your arms." Cue the sappy music and bring on the Kleenex. I would have given her anything she ever wanted in that moment!

These times are so, SO precious. Sheryl and I have been looking at the girls over the last week and marveling at how big they are. It just seems to be like sand running through your fingers. It goes so fast. Pat, Otter Creek's pre-school and kindergarten director, tells the parents every year at the orientation meeting, "These are long days and short years." So true.

One last thing on the movie--"Kingdom of Heaven". I have a lot of friends who are serious movie and theater critics and I tend to be one myself at times. However, I took that hat off as I went to see this movie yesterday. I had already heard negative comments from some of my friends. The reason I liked this movie was because it was about character. There are so many movies that exemplify lead male characters who are money hungry, power hungry, sex craved, immoral, and fanatically appearance conscious. This movie's main character, though flawed deeply and fully aware of his own sin, chose the high road. He heard from his father a challenge and followed it. He risked his life for the lives of those unable to defend themselves. He gave up power and wealth for conscience. "A kingdom not built on conscience is not a kingdom at all." I long to be that way and find myself lacking. So, when I see a character like him, that's something I want to support and say--go see.

Sheryl has a girls night out tonight. I am really excited for her. Sarah and Jill and others have put a night of fun together for her before the storm hits! Have fun, honey!

One last little funny--I have gotten into the habit over the last year of calling Maddie and Ella "honey". "No, Honey, you can't do that." "Come here, Honey Bunny, and let me give you kisses." Things like that. Maddie and Ella are both now saying that to each other and it's cracking me up. Maddie will say to Ella, "No, Honey, you can't have that crayon." Now Ella has picked it up and it's about the cutest thing you've ever heard. Of course, I'm biased--as any father ought to be.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Rick J said...

When you talk about your girls, the door to my memory opens wide and sooooo many warm and soft memories (you know in that soft, dream-like, slightly out-of-focus lighting, complete with slow motion) come gushing out. My kids are almost 28 and 25 now, but I remember those bed times, those "wise-beyond-their-years" comments, those nap times together on Sunday afternoons (Who has time for those now???), and I just relax into them and cherish them. So... thanks for helping me open that door.
One thing... even though they are now young adults, we're still gently folding and storing away special memories. You have a lot of them to look forward to even though the years do fly by. Have a blessed day, bro!