Sunday, May 08, 2005




My mom is an incredible woman. Her heart for God astounds me. She is 67 years old and yet, she absorbs spiritual matters like a sponge--always learning, always growing, always stretching. She is not one of those people who get under my skin who think they've "arrived" at all spiritual wisdom and understanding, and yet, she knows more than most. She is a Godly woman who lives her life in the shadow of the cross. She invests herself in things that matter. She loves deeply and she is a wonderful mother. She has walked with me for many years and always challenged me to seek the deeper things of God. I am thankful for you, Mom!



Sheryl is one day going to read words like this written by her own children. She is teaching them the things of God. She is investing herself in their lives and making a difference. I cannot imagine a better influence as a mommy for my girls. I love to watch her with them. I love the way she cares for them. I love the way she loves on them. I am blessed to be married to a wonderful mother. Maddie wrote something at school this week about Sheryl for Mother's Day. Some golden nuggets included, "my mom is very old, she looks like she has a baby in her tummy, she likes to eat salad and cupcakes, for fun she likes kissing daddy, and she likes to go to the store." Salad and cupcakes. Well, that just about says it all, doesn't it?

There are others who've mothered me over the years like Darla Lorenz, Jeannine Nichols, Kaye Price Hawkins, Jeannette Lipford, and Donna Reynolds. My life would not be the same without their influence. I am grateful for the way God uses women to shape the lives of girls AND boys. Thank you for your influence and your love.

Got back last night from Pepperdine. I am too exhausted to write about the final couple of days, but I will tomorrow. I am just thankful to be home with my family. I loved getting to cuddle and kiss all three of my girls last night. We're having Mother's Day lunch at my mom's. It will be wonderful. Enjoy your day with your mom or thinking about your mom. If your mom is no longer living, I pray that today will be a day of sweet and peaceful memories.

5 comments:

k2 said...

was your mom at highland in memphis? i was just looking at the banner behind her. i attended highland st. coc in memphis where dr. harold shank was the minister.

judy thomas said...

No it was in Abilene at the 75th anniversay of Highland.

Thanks, Babe, for the wonderful words--I pray that my influence may continue to be a blessing and not a burden. No mother, except Mary, could have asked for a better son. I too am thankful for all the other women in your life and for their influence in mine as well.

What a great Mother's Day!

Lauren said...

Brandon,

Many of the women you mentioned today have also been influences in my own journey of faith. Jeanene Nichols was my Kindergarten teacher back when Texas had half day programs. I am so glad you are back home safely from Malibu. Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

I love your mom, too. We sure do miss her here in the Key City. I remember one of the first things I said to Marsha after my bypass surgery on Dec. 1 was how mad I was that I would miss Judy's "going away" party at church. Go figure...I'm glad she's there for you and your girls - and the soon to be "Mr. Sam." - ICB.

Deb said...

Hey, Brandon!

Your sweet mother was one tremendous influence to me when I was in Abilene all those years ago, and later when I returned, broken to pieces. I was so glad to see these pictures of her … thanks! The ways she nurtured me are too numerous to count, and I will always thank God for being so gracious as to allowing her path to cross mine on more than one occasion.

As to some of the other women you named, you know a few of them also mean so much to me as well. Are we blessed, or what???

Just a quickie, also, to say I’ve got so many precious memories of you when you were the ages of Maddie and Ella. The pic of Maddie and Sheryl on the beach drew my breath. Maddie has the same stance I remember you having when you were a wee little thing.

My husband John and I were in the US a couple of months ago and were introduced to your group. What beauty! We are introducing our church members and friends here in London to the sounds of ZOE. I get really homesick when I listen to you. We let some friends borrow a couple of your CDs on their trip to Devon and back last week, after our fellowship group sang along with a few of the tracks at our worship. They all thought at first it was American barbershop, but soon decided it was definitely more than that. They called it a taste of Heaven!

I love you, sweetie. Hug Judy for me

Blessings!
Debi Milstead Simmons
(KibbelzNBits)