Friday, May 13, 2005

Sheryl continues to progress. We're so excited to see baby Sam!! Thanks for your prayers.

Last night we had a blast playing outside and eating with Daren Stanley and his kids. You'd think Maddie and Ella had never had a friend over. They were all over Mary Carsen. It was fun to hear their screams of delight as they ran around together. These are such precious years!!

As we were getting into bed, we got a call from Amanda and Geoff. THEY'RE ENGAGED!! We are so thrilled! They drove by to show us the ring and let us celebrate with them. Congrats, guys! We love you!



I am still laughing today over memories that came flooding back as I wrote that list yesterday. Oh my word. Seriously. Some thing I forgot to mention--

1. Willard Tate's "life learning skills" class. "You've all got an A in here. Your job is to keep it." Who can forget the banjo and singing songs that had to have been in the original soundtrack from "A Mighty Wind"? )"Boooorn to win, Booorn to win...")

2. Validine

3. PE. I chose Scuba, Snow Skiing and Advanced Snow Skiing, and Bowling. Now THOSE are my kind of PE classes.

4. Welcome Week. It just got more and more fun each year.

5. Breaking into Jennifer Money, Shellie Braddock, and ??'s (can't remember who else lived there) house and taking all the labels off their canned goods in their pantry.

6. Chris Seidman doing a hip jiration in chapel while leading "I Love the Lord Messiah" (deep down in my heart...UHGH!)

7. Clint's dog, Daisy, who HATED Stephen. She would literally go back to our bedroom and under his bed to pee.

8. Senior Sing Song--the Flintstones!! Ba, ba ba--ba Barney rubble, Ba, ba ba--ba barney rubble...short and squatty, funny little body Barney Rubble. Torey Barnhouse rules.

9. The cast from "The King and I" maintaining a weird orange tint to their skin all through the week of performances. Ask Melissa Kirby, Jane Ann Myers, or Beth Ann Fisher!

10. Michael W. Smith Concert at ACU. Awesome.

11. The "Return to Gilligan's Island" social.

12. Taking dates to the Paramount. The Changling...ooooohhhhhhh!! Why was everyone so creeped out by that movie?

13. The dollar theater.

14. Kyle meeting Camille.

15. Singing "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" during the closing chapel each year. I still remember standing there singing it on that last day of our Senior year.

16. Jeff Berryman

17. "Hair" and "Messy Eater"

18. Reg Cox, Brad Small, Wed night Bible study, and the campus ministry at Southern Hills

19. Winkie James.

20. Those windy days at Shotwell stadium watching football and hearing the Big Purple play the ACU fightsong. Purple, white, purple, white, fight-fight-fight!

OK--I won't subject you to any more. It just felt so good to go there yesterday, I thought I would do it again today. There's that old country song that says, "Ain't it funny how a melody brings back a memory? Takes you to a certain place and time, completely change your state of mind." How true! There are songs that take me right there. Restless Heart does it for my ACU experience. "Long Lost Friend" especially.

Any songs that take you back to your college days? I realize this will date us, but hey--who cares??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rest of Willard Tate's Life Learning Skills Class song:
Within me lies the power, I beleive in my dreams. Yes I was born a winner, I can be what I want to be. For as I've been given, I will give, you see...
Boooorn to win, boooorn to win, yes I was born to win.
Can't beleive I remember all that, 24 years later

Anonymous said...

Bluest Eyes in Texas (was that Restless Heart, too?)
And Reg Cox SCREAMING "There Is A Habitation" minimum twice a week in chapel.

JKMeeks said...

Please tell Amanda Jeremy and Katie Meeks said Congrat! We are so excited for her. We sang in the light together and we miss her voice here. Also would you ask her if she still has my sing song tape? :)

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Kyle-
What the heck are you talking about? You know good and well you're making that up. :) You always had a way with the ladies. You've got skills. Miss you, man! come back from England!!

jocelyn said...

Brandon,

I remember my skin being tainted orange from the King and I and my hair being a weird gray color after the black hair dye...one difference, though...I was in the 2nd grade and it was my first play ever! Now I have a degree in theatre from ACU and have been teaching other theatre to other kiddos. Where does the time go?

Jocelyn (Reese) Wiebe

Caroline said...

This totally make me seem like I am 5 years old, but I remember the song "Ghetto Superstar" playing over and over in the car on my first date in college. Ahhhh memories. Needless to say, he wasn't a keeper. :)

www.carolinerebekah.blogspot.com