Wednesday, October 17, 2007

19 years ago a group of over 1000 students came together as the Freshman Class of ACU. We were all nervous, excited, ready... and wondering what the next 4+ years would bring.

(pictured below--Freshman class officers 1988--Tara McKnight Seidman, Shannon McKnight Wilburn, Jennifer Wade Shewmaker, Amber Bogle, Stephen Bailey, Wes Stamps, me, Brent McCall, and Shane Holland. Wow--my hair is, well, I'm not even sure what kind of mullet that is. An unfortunate one for sure.)



We adjusted quickly to dorm life, studying, and late night talks with the "dingle-berry man" in Mabee. I made Brent McCall hang his Taco Bell uniform out the window because it stunk up the entire dorm and it got stolen. Brent, Shane Holland, Chris Seidman and I would have many late night talks and often would wait for Seidman to go to drift off so we could listen to him call football games in his sleep. We saw the construction and completion of the Bible building--many of us climbed the tower of light before it was finished. Um, not me. And...we jammed in Sing Song as Eyeballs!



My sophomore year I decided to room with Stephen Bailey, Chris Doggett and Craig Fisher. 18 years later we are still the best of friends...and rarely go a week without talking. (nice glasses, Fish)





It's been 15 years now since we graduated. I remember sitting in Homecoming chapel when the 10 yr reunion people came back for the "Coming-home court" and thinking how OLD they looked. How in the world am I now 5 years PAST that???? It's madness.

So, tomorrow we all climb on a big airplane and head to TX. Homecoming weekend is finally here. The girls have had their suitcases packed for 2 days and sitting at the top of the stairs. What a blast it will be!!

Friday and Saturday I am doing chapel with the Sing Song hosts and hostesses from my year...



Pictured here are... Val Durrington, Kimberly Meador Condor, me, Kristin Beherends Ward, Stephen Bailey, Darcy Washburn Chapman, and Martha Kate Stallings Gunn. I can't wait to see them...and sing with them again. It's been a really long time.

This weekend will be full of reunion dinners, Gamma Sig's Homecoming breakfast, handshakes, hugs, and desperate attempts to put names with faces. We'll cheer at the Homecoming parade and the kids will love the floats. I'll get to sit in the Fisher's living room with my roommates and laugh til we cry. I'll get to see and stay with the Lorenz family (my second parents). And...we'll see the fabulous ACU Homecoming musical-- Elton John's AIDA. I'm getting to spend some time with some of the theater students Saturday afternoon and hear some of them sing.

For those of you in the class of '92...I hope to see you at ACU this weekend. And, as Ella keeps reminding people, "We're gonna see some WILDCATS this weekend!"

12 comments:

Jacinda said...

I love it when you post old pictures from ACU! I know you'll have a blast and I look forward to seeing pics from the weekend! Be sure to eat at Joe Allen's-yum!

Stephen Bailey said...

oh my.

Sam I Am said...

If when hearing the theater students, you get a chance to meet/hear Jake Harbour, give him a giant hug for me. He's my very best friend. And a job. Give him a job.

Christy said...

Hope you guys have so much fun. Love the old pics--the clothes--the hair--all priceless:)

Generous Kitchen said...

Hey friend...I'm so old I actually have kids at ACU right now! Look for Avery pulling the Kojie float in the parade, and Ash will be one of the silly clowns marching with Kojies. She gets to see your Mom tomorrow morning at the Kojie reunion breakfast...how fun is that!? Have a safe and wonderful weekend! Hug my babies for me.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Joe Allen's has moved. And ever since, it is a risk to eat there. It's so sad.

Amy Boone said...

Not sure who posted the Joe Allen's comment, but it's only around the corner with Cahoots and still tastes great to me.

While living in Abilene is truly the best, here is the giant disadvantage: no one in Abilene cares to clear schedules so ACU homecoming events can be attended! So, between a morning workshop at Andrew's school, two basketball tryouts, a soccer game and a five year old's birthday party to attend, we might not have time to squeeze in all the festivities. Hope I run into you at some point, though!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, bless!

Sam Middlebrook said...

Dude, you've done some impressive things musically, but I had NO idea you sang with Ferris Bueller (pictured far left). WOW.

Beaner said...

Get you head in the game!!! Oh...different Wildcats.

RMs at the Village said...

Hi,
I've been trying to find a copy of "when the music fades" and it appears to be out of print. I'd love to purchase it . . . or, in particular an mp3 of the song, "here in this place." It's a beautiful song. Please e-mail me at bovendesign at yahoo dot com. Thanks. Andrea

tymbos said...

Brandon hi,
i looking for an old penpal friend, Amber B., if you have time please reply at tymbos at gmail.com Thanks in advance