Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sheryl and I saw Dreamgirls today. WOW! I have loved the music from that show for a very long time but it comes to life in new ways in the movie. I read a review that compared "Dreamgirls" to "Chicago" saying that where Chicago seemed embarrassed to be a movie musical making many of the songs a fantasy or dream-like scenario, Dreamgirls puts it right out there...unapologetically! I couldn't agree more. It is AWESOME!!

The performances are fantastic! Eddie Murphy deserves a nomination for his portrayal of James Early. Beyonce is great as Deena Jones and Jamie Foxx is just ok (riding the coat tails of his performance as Ray, if you ask me). The real star of the movie, surprisingly, is Jennifer Hudson as Effie White. Holy smokes, Batman! She is unreal. (former American Idol contestant, ya know!) The song, "And I'm tellin' you..." closes Act 1 in the stage show. Her stirring rendition brought down the house in the movie.

I was really excited to see the movie and, for the first time in a long time I can say this about a movie, it was better than I expected! There are some adult themes and there's some language so it's not for kids. Just FYI.

We've had a good break. We even worked a puzzle yesterday with Lauren--all day I might add! It was relaxing--especially for me since I came and went and added pieces at my leisure while Sheryl and Lauren labored over it! :)

Happy 2007, everyone! Can I just say how THANKFUL I am to be in a NEW year?? Do I hear an amen??

2 comments:

Drew Battistelli said...

Preach On!

Stephen Bailey said...

Can't wait to see it! Thanks for the review. And thanks for letting me pick your brain last night.