Wednesday, October 12, 2005

OH MY WORD!!!!! SEE BELOW FOR AN ADDENDUM TO TODAY'S STORY!!!

Why do weird things always happen to me? That should be the book title of my autobiography.

Yesterday Kyle Rigsby called and I called him back. A voice answered, "Hello, this is STAN GUFFMAN!" (name's been changed to protect the innocent...namely, ME!) He said it in a real animated and almost sarcastic way...sort of like a TV car salesman. It was clear to me that it was Kyle. He was joking around and being stupid.

So, I said, "Well hello there, STAN GUFFMAN (real sarcastic and animated just like he said it), this is BRANDON SCOTT THOMAS!!!" He laughed nervously.

"What's up, bud?" I asked.

"Not too much, just finishing some things up at the office," He replied.

It sounded like Kyle. Was it Kyle? Why was he at the office at 5:00pm. He's a P.E. teacher for crying out loud.

"Cool," I said.

Long pause.

"I'm wondering if I have the wrong number," I finally blurted out.

He quickly asked, "Well, who were you trying to call?"

"Not STAN GUFFMAN!" I said and nicely excused myself.

So, then I find out that "Stan Guffman" is this real estate guy who has ads all over TV and radio. He probably thought that no stranger would possibly kid with him like that. And beyond that, I'm sure he wondered how I could have possibly gotten his cell number. Poor guy. He was probably scratching his head going, "Brandon Scott Thomas....who in the world???" And he seemed like a really nice guy. Hopefully, I didn't freak him out.

OK--Addendum...so I'm on my way to Cool Springs to meet Brad and on the phone with Tim Woodroof who is out writing this week. I'm telling him my funny story and at the end he says..."You know who that is, right? It's ________'s best friend (a member here). He's been to Otter Creek on numerous occasions to see Christmas and Easter productions. He knows EXACTLY who you are." I could have died. Twice.

Why me? (Why me is right. I think it's the spirit of Sam Thomas. Dad, you've gotta stop this!)

Speaking of why's...this morning the girls were watching the Disney version of Peter Pan. (I know, shock.) There's this song in there about the Indians and Tiger Lilly. "What makes the Red Man red?" Now THAT'S PC for ya. Good job, guys. Check it out. It's pure comedy.

Speaking of songs, I'm meeting Brad Crisler in a minute. Brad and Dawn are new to Otter Creek. Rumor has it they even blog on occasion. HEY GUYS!! Brad wrote one of my favorite recent country songs, "Sweet Southern Comfort". Buddy Jewel sings it. (He's written lots of other stuff too--for Tim McGraw and other artists.) I love turning it up and singing it at the top of my lungs. They both have talent oozing from them and God has dropped them at Otter Creek. I can't wait to see what God does through them.

Still processing the weekend. I stared at the ceiling last night thinking about my class on Saturday. Long. Verbose. Borrrring. I don't think I was able to really get to the heart of what I wanted to communicate. Mainly, saying that the most radical approach to worship ministry to me is trying to keep it real. Scratch that. The most radical approach to MINISTRY period is trying to keep it real. We play games and tell people not to be plastic and meanwhile we're writing the book on being plastic. It's a constant battle that any of us in public ministry will have to face, however, we HAVE to talk about it. We have to combat it. If we don't, we're a joke.

One last thing and I'll stop. 14 years ago this week I was watching my father die. It will be 14 years tomorrow. I'm having lots and lots of memories and tears. The tears are sweeter than they used to be. For those of you who've experienced loss, know that at some point you can actually think about it--even cry about it without always feeling that raw wound. Sometimes, it's still raw just like that day. But, overall, God uses time to bring healing and wholeness. More on that tomorrow.

Blessings to you today.

14 comments:

Dana said...

Brandon, It was so good to see you and worship with you over the weekend. We wait a year for Zoe and it's just over so fast! Our little taste of heaven. My dad will be gone 5 years in February. You are right that God heals the searing pain but there is always that empty place that memories just can't seem to fill. May God bless you with special memories tomorrow and extra sweetness from all of your girls and your little Sam. Keeping his memory alive in your children helps keep him alive for you. God bless you and your family. It was so good to see Sheryl up there singing her sweet heart out. We love you dearly!

Phil said...

Sorry, BST. Your stories will never beat Matt and Emily Little's stories.

cwinwc said...

Hi Brandon.
My father died in 1988 of a heart attack. The last time I saw my Dad alive I was playing basketball in a local city league (that was both pounds and years ago) and he was keeping score for the recreation department in our town. I played in the first game and then sat next to him for the second. Our conversation will always stay with me.
But even today some 17 years later, I can still be somewhere and it remind me of him and I'll shed a tear. In the early days they were tears of sadness and anger. Now my tears are of sweet memories and gratitude towards God because my Dad was a Christian and I know I'll see him again. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

MichaelPolutta said...

Brandon,

I was in your "borrrring" class - but did not find it so. But I did recognize your struggle to communicate what you wanted - and that in itself encapsulates the struggle, doesn't it? Wanting so badly to say something, but the words (and the self) get in the way.

I am still attending a mostly conservative CoC (there don't appear to be many other types here in the Atlanta area) - and I certainly struggle to keep it real with them. I have some instrumental gifts that I am DYING to use, and I'm contemplating making a change along those lines. We'll see what happens - I only ask that God be in the middle of it, and direct it. This "fire in my bones" won't shut up!

Thurman8er said...

Brandon, one thing that teaching has taught me is that first period never goes as well as second period. If you are conscientious enough to analyze what went well and what didn't with your first lesson, then your second lesson can't help but be better.

As jealous as I get having to stay in Fresno during the Nashvilled conference, I know it's worth the wait when you all show up in January and teach us the classes that have been refined and molded.

Phil said...

OK, I was wrong. The Littles' stories are NOT better than that.

Geez.

wstaple said...

Brandon,

We listed our first house with "Stan Guffman". His for-sale signs have a cutout of his head on top. Meg always wanted to know why the birds would perch and poop on Stan's head.....

Terry said...

Brandon:

Your class was great...I'm going over some of your notes today in my office. Don't be disappointed...we all got a lot out of it.

I'm lucky enough to still have my parents in THIS world...but today I just happened to come across the words of 1 Corinthians 15:54-58. Check it out if you have the time.

Anonymous said...

Brandon, how odd that just this morning I was talking to a friend about my dad dying, 28 years ago (this December). I can tell by how you talk about your dad, that he was a very special person in your life. I always wished my dad could have met my children. He would have really enjoyed and loved them.
hugs to you
ginger

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Oh, Amy, those words are so very special. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I never knew that about Dad saying that to you about your wedding. But you know, I believe it. I think the thing for me was he had gotten down several times before and always miraculously pulled himself back up, seemed to hold cancer at bay and went back to work. I think in my mind I was convinced he'd do that again. I never expected it. Even though it was probably obvious. I remember standing rubbing his feet that night thinking that this couldn't possibly be happening. I still feel that way. it doesn't even seem real some days. Friends like you are so special. You experienced Sam Thomas in all his glory--hilarity and all. I'm so glad that he knew you and thought of you like a daughter. These experiences have forever shaped us and our families. I mean it's so cool that your mom taught for him and that our families have been friends for so many years. There are so many blessings!!

It's the Stan "Guffman" stories of the world that make me miss him. OH, how I would LOVE to be able to pick up the phone and say, "Dad, you'll never believe this..." and hear that hilarious laugh of his.

I am convinced that he's pulling strings up there to continue the hilarity.

Thanks again for your comment.

SG said...

So have you been singing Polly-wally-gum-gum, Polly-wally-gum-gum all day? After this I am sure I will be! You are too funny. You and MK always have a great story and I always love to hear them. I'm really glad that the hurt isn't so raw these days. It's all good my friend!

Fajita said...

Ha! Wouldn't you like to be an absolute and complete nobody like me?

Hoots Musings said...

Has anyone ever told you, that you resemble Ken Young?

Jim said...

Brad and Dawn are very dear to our hearts here in Florence. Take good care of them...we know they'll be a blessing to you and Otter Creek Church.