Tuesday, August 30, 2005


We had a great weekend together. Sheryl had the great idea of making Saturday nights "Movie Night" at the Thomas house. So, this weekend we had movie night (Sunday night instead of Saturday since we were at JV and Liz's Saturday and we were so exhausted after Sunday and just needed some family time). Here you see Daddy with the kids eating popcorn and watching "Pete's Dragon". (Remember "Pete's Dragon"? Apparently, I didn't remember it well enough...b-o-r-i-n-g!!) It was still fun. We made it through about half of it before switching to "Babe, Pig in the City"



The girls have been driving us crazy about Jonathan Shaub. It's all they can talk about. SO...we arranged for us to spend part of the day with Jonathan on Monday. They were hilarious. Their eyes were like saucers. He has been the subject of their prayers and thoughts and every time they've seen him they just look in awe. Here's a sweet picture of Jonathan holding Baby Sam--even Sam is looking in awe!!



Sharon has treated me like a part of the family since the first phone call about the music ministry position here over 10 years ago. It's fun to see her with my kids now. They loved getting to spend time with her in the reading corner! They were also ENTHRALLED with Jonathan's bed made with sand and water so that he can essentially float on his back and all the wounds can continue to heal.



Ella wanted to pose with Jonathan too! They were so excited to be there and he even let them see some of his "boo-boos". He is really healing so well. He has a long way to go with more surgeries expected next Spring and Summer. One thing we all love about JD is his endearing smile that never ends. It was such a great and encouraging time with them.




Last night we stayed in and watched the approaching storm. All of us played and ran around the house chasing each other. At one point in the evening I captured this picture that I anticipate being one of my favorite pictures of them for years to come.




These precious children are a gift from God! Sheryl and I look at them and marvel at God's grace and creation. For these blessings, we PRAISE GOD!

Sheryl's surgery is set for Thursday morning. We're coveting your prayers.

12 comments:

Beaner said...

I LOVE the picture of you guys just laying around the house - those are better than any professional "posed" pictures because they show the real love of your family.

I'll be praying for Sheryl! (I hope this doesn't affect her ZOE Conf. plans! Her voice is like a soothing salve to me & to many others! Make sure you take care of that girl!!!)

Jacinda said...

Those precious kids! I was wishing we had our digital camera while we washed the mini van the other day...those would have been some good family pics!

I will be remembering Sheryl!

Beth P said...

There is zero spirituality or words of wisdom in this comment, but when I clicked on the pic of you and the kids to get a closer look, I had to really look hard at what was under your arm...I thought "is that his other hand behind him?"..."is it Sheryl?"...then with everyone's placement in the picture the answer was obviously "no"...then I realized it was a baby and I had to think twice about the number of children that you have and why you would be hiding one of them...Needless to say I had a nice little laugh while sitting at my computer!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

HA! Beth--I can see you laughing about that. That's actually Ella's baby...she goes NOWHERE without it.
Hilarious. Looks like I am trying to conceal Sam's twin.

Ron said...

Hey - Pete's Dragon has one of our favorite lines of all time... Especially for our kids.

'Hey - we done had our bath in May'

What a crack up. We still use that line today.

Generous Kitchen said...

My kids loved Pete's Dragon! Go figure.

Tell Sheryl we love her and are praying for her.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Sorry to make fun of Pete's Dragon. We actually watched the rest tonight and they enjoyed it. Here's to Helen!

Val said...

The first movie I ever saw was "Pete's Dragon" in the historic Crest Theater in Wichita, KS. Then, many years later on Movie Night at Camp Blue Haven, it was the backdrop for my first date with Kendra. It holds a special place in my heart and there are some great songs and an all-star cast. I think the dragon got an Oscar nomination.

Val said...

BTW, I'm really going to miss the conference this year. I love Leonard Sweet. I am bummed.

Eli Perkins said...

personally, my favorite has always been Robin Hood...the cartoon; i love that rooster who sings all those catchy songs. we'll be praying for sheryl--looking forward to the conference; kristen and meredith (14 mo) are both coming with me this year...eli & kristen, san antonio.

K said...

We do "Party Supper" and it is my favorite night of the week. We put together a smorgasbord of all those great apetizer foods from the frozen food section in the grocery store and spread them all out on the coffee table and the floor in front of the TV. Our most recent movie was "The Pacifier." I definitely need to pull out the camera for our nights too. Your picture looked like soooo much fun!! Keep it up. We do our night because Josh remembers doing it with his family as a kid and he loved it. Great memories in the making.

Jana said...

That pic of your kiddos is adorable. I want a copy!!! ;)