Friday, August 12, 2005

Seven years ago tonight, friends from all over the country were coming into Nashville for our wedding. Sheryl and I were filled with nervous anticipation. The fellowship hall had been transformed into a Caribbean tropical paradise and the steel drum player was warming up. Our friends and family were putting on clothes and getting ready to drive over from the hotel. It was really happening. It's one of those surreal moments. You've wondered all your life who you'd end up marrying, or if you would ever marry. Could it possibly be happening? Really? After the rehearsal, the dinner and an interesting night out with the boys at Buffalo Billiards where I was tattooed with a black Sharpie, I knew it was truly happening.

Then, the big day hit. Mike Cope was up front with me prepared to bless our union. Stephen Bailey stood next to me as my best man and at one point reached over to hold me up. A choir of about 20 or so from all over the country sang the most beautiful music I've ever heard directed by Jeff Nelson and Wendy Wray Ogren. John Catchings was melodic and perfect on the cello. Kirk Nofsinger sang and played the guitar and it was heavenly. Then the wedding party began to enter. Nika Maples, Kyle Dickson, Paula Agnew, Shane Holland, Kellie Ingram, Craig Fisher, Phillis Osborn, Josh Morse, Emily Trice, Jeff Gregg, Kim Girdley, Ryan Williamson...then Gail (Sheryl's sister) walked down. As she reached the front, The chorus hit the key change on Shine On Us and Sheryl entered with her father. This is where Stephen had to hold me up. Sheryl was exquisite. Unmatched in beauty. I was a raving mess. I had what is referred to as the "ugly cry" going on. Unbelievable.

Mike, full of humor and heart wrenching stories, preached the perfect wedding ceremony. We left as the band struck up Shout to the Lord and the choir sang with all their hearts. WHAT A DAY!!

The reception was at Woodmont Hills. It was nice and open and non-claustrophobic (my requirement!). 7 years ago this weekend we walked out of the reception as people blew bubbles in the air. We walked out to start our new life together.

One month ago this weekend I preached Jason's wedding, we went to Woodmont Hills for the reception, and we stood outside and blew bubbles as they ran out to begin their new life together. There was one MAJOR difference. The Thomas two had not only become one, they had become FIVE! It was a surreal moment. We stood there remembering our special day, holding our 3 children and praising God for all He's done.

The last seven years have been filled with laughter, love, births, deaths, pain, victory and seeking. I feel like the most blessed man in the world. Praise Your name, O Lord, for making Sheryl Rathbun. Thank you for watching over her, protecting her, guiding her, teaching her to be passionate for you, giving her the most beautiful voice I've ever heard, and leading her to me.

August 15th--what a day!! Happy Anniversary, honey!

11 comments:

Jacinda said...

Happy Anniversary! Chris & I celebrate 11 years tomorrow!

Rick J said...

Brandon... what neat words to share with your blogging family. To add to the story of this week... Jeremy and Amber
(http://jeremyandamber.blogspot.com/)
just celebrated three years together, Micah and Erica will be married Saturday,
(http://micahanderica.blogspot.com/)
and this Saturday Virginia and I will close out the 34th year or our journey and begin the 35th. God bless!

Stephen Bailey said...

That was one of many times we have held each other up. I was proud to stand by you then and I'm proud to do so now. It's a blessing to know you are always there for me during my "ugly cry" moments. I've had a few over the last couple of years with you on the other end of the phone. Congrats Bro. I love you and your family and I am PROUD of you!

Fajita said...

7 years ago tonight I was making the mistake of life (so far as family is concerned). Still sorry I was not there.

Tim Castle said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Sheryl! Nina and I are coming up on 14 years next week! Blessings to you, and praise to God for how He gives us great relationships.

Unknown said...

As you know, though it was difficult not being able to stand with you on that day, that was a special day for Karen and I as she was in labor that day with sweet Taylor, our first child. I always think about you on that day.........I never forget your anniversery because of that. But then again, I would never forget an anniversary or birthday...........what's up Fish?

Seriously, you are a blessed man. Praise God for you, your sweet wife, and 3 children.

Lovell's Lookout said...

BST-- Happy Anniversary... A lot has happened in 7 years!!! Rachel and I are celebrating our 7th in 15 days!! Congrats!!!

judy thomas said...

It was a perfect day for all of us.How fast 7 years go by. Just think in 7 years how old your kids and you will be!!! Happy anniversary, Mom. I have the most beautiful daughter-in-law and grandchildren in the world. Thank you Lord.

Mark Lowenstein said...

Brandon and Sheryl,

Michelle and I have the anniversary on the same day (August 15th)!! We'll be entering a BIG 13 years and counting!! Praise the Lord on your anniversary and we wish you the best! <><

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! Blessings, Blessings, Blessings.

Katherine said...

Happy Anniversary!! What a beautiful family-God bless! :)