Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Left to right: Taylor, Laura, Mason, and Chuck Rathbun (Sheryl's brother and his family), BST, Cindy and Haley Yates (Sheryl's sister and her daughter)

It's been such a crazy 4 or 5 days, I just haven't been able to blog. So, be forewarned...this might be a bit long.

Saturday morning I flew to Houston and met with the worship search committee at Bammel Church of Christ. There were probably 25 or so there that night. They are a great group of people. We spent about 3 1/2 hours together. They asked some great questions and I hope I was able to be of help to them. I was there to help them focus in on what they should be looking for and how to maneuver through the difficult waters of making a hire like they are about to make.

Sunday morning I led worship for both services at Bammel. It was the first time I've led without a praise team in a LONG time. Not my favorite thing. To me, there's just so much power in having team leadership. I much prefer it. However, I think it went well. They DO have a "stealth choir" that sits out all over the church with the head-set microphones on to aid the sound. They were really good. Overall, the church seemed open and they were really ready to worship. Such sweet, hospitable people! I was blessed by being there.

I got to see and stay with Sheryl's brother, Chuck, and his family. It was so great to be with them. Chuck is like a brother to me and I always love being with his family. AMAZING kids. Cindy and Haley drove over from Lake Jackson Sunday morning and it was wonderful to see them! I also got to see Colter Lewis from old ACU days. So fun to see him! Sunday morning I rehearsed with the "stealth" singers and Sarah Bass was one of them. Sarah is legendary. She has an incredible, INCREDIBLE, voice. She had been a Sing Song Hostess many years before me and then always came back to sing back up. What a talent and what a heart!

I saw several others from days gone by--ACU friends and even Jill Starr (niece of Kenneth!) whom I did shows with in High School. It was really fun to see her and her THREE kids. Goodness. She's married to Brad Mitton. Remember Brad Mitton, Stephen and Val??

I flew home right after church and got back just in time to rehearse the team here for our Celebration Back To School service. It was a total BLAST! I had assigned solos for the three verses on "Shine Jesus Shine" to 3 kids...Tyler Swafford, Julianne Cox and Will Roberson. I began to get nervous on the plane ride home, hoping they were ready, hoping they knew it, hoping they could sing it. Needless to say, I was completely blown away. BLOWN AWAY. They were amazing. Melanie Brown (one of our children's ministers) did an object lesson that night about Fathers and sons and used David and Benson Rubio. She asked the kids to notice how much Benson was like David and then used that as teaching tool for being like Jesus. It was wonderful! After ZOE sang and did worship for a while, we called all the kids down and Melanie got on stage with them and led some songs with them. They used the Jana Alayra instrumental tracks for the songs and the kids (and adults) were jamming. Melanie led one song called "Jump into the Light". It starts by saying... "Jump, jump, jump into the light, light, light..." and Melanie had all the adults jumping up and down. So fun. It was like a big mosh pit. Well, not really, but it was still fun.

Monday night Donald Miller was here. What can I say? It was amazing and fantastic. It was better than I expected. I know some who came were on the outskirts of faith. I think it was really encouraging for many of them (several I've spoken with). But, there were others who came with a heart cynical about Jesus and they left with a heart cynical about Jesus. At least they came. Miller did a brilliant job comparing Romeo and Juliet to the gospel and the mystery of God's love. I can't even begin to describe it. But on that note--he talked about mathematical equations and how we try to make love an equation. You can't do that. There's something mysterious about it. I am in love with Sheryl for many reasons..but if you brought someone else to me who had those same qualities, I wouldn't feel the same way--there's just some weird mystery to love. What is it about relationships? Why do we love at all? How can you put definitions around it? It always fails. There's a holy mystery. That's how God's love is for us. At least, that's what I took away. Wonderful, wonderful night! The place was packed and there were also some good Q&A time at the end. I wish it had been longer though.

Yesterday I had meetings all day long. OC and ZOE. Looks like this 3rd service is going to be coming quickly...maybe even mid-October. More on that later. I may be hiring an intern during the school year...anyone interested?

We put some more finishing touches on plans for the ZOE Worship Conference yesterday afternoon. It's almost FULL. 1100 are registered and that leaves only 100 more spaces. Call today to register if you haven't!

Thanks for your prayers about Sheryl. Apparently, women don't like having their ureters talked about on the internet. Obviously, I'm retarded, but I'll use my "beinng a guy" excuse here. I think guys would probably take theirs out to show them off if they could. So, sorry for over-sharing. Sheryl will be having a laparoscopic surgery in the next 2 weeks sometime. We'll definitely want your prayers.

OK--this is long, but one last thing...Pat Robertson--are you kidding me? What the heck? I mean, he's always seemed a few fries short of a happy meal to me, but calling for an assassination? For the love. When I hear things like that it makes me want to run an ad in every paper and magazine saying, "Not all Christians feel like this!" But the sad reality is, for centuries Christians have put the call of Jesus on the shelf to take up other causes that feel better or seem to make more sense. Ironically, so many of those causes involve violence...the OPPOSITE of the message of Christ. In my opinion, Robertson's remark deserves some critical response from the Christian community.

OK--seriously, one LAST thing. To end on a positive and happy note, here's a picture of our Sam. He's just growing so fast! Amazing BOY! Have a great Wednesday!

20 comments:

Chris said...

BST - seriously - try decaf, man!

Just kidding! I so enjoy hearing about your ministry and your beautiful family. I'm really going to miss not attending Zoe this year. Ah, well - maybe next year!

Praying for Sheryl...

Blugs!

christine pinson said...

would being your intern also include a job for matt, a place for us to live in nashville preferably right down the street from tj and holly...oh, and childcare for jack?!
if so...i'll apply!

Stephen Bailey said...

Hi, my name is Steve and I'd like to speak with you about your intern position for the Fall. I can lead in 4/4 AND 3/4 time, I have a gold plated pitch pipe and my leadership and vocal quality is on par with all the greats: Looney, Boyd, Doggett, Fisher. If you're interested (and I know you are) you can reach me on the web at www.greatsongsofthechurch.com.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Actually, the "Fisher/ Doggett" template is what I am looking for--someone who can DANCE and play the drums as they are lowered from the ceiling of Moody coliseum. Can you handle that?

JD said...

Enjoyed reading all of your news. Your joy is contagious.

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

"It was the first time I've led without a praise team in a LONG time. Not my favorite thing. To me, there's just so much power in having team leadership. I much prefer it. However, I think it went well. They DO have a "stealth choir" that sits out all over the church with the head-set microphones on to aid the sound. They were really good."

Appaling. The thought that worship through song by a gathering of believers is not enough - that a "worship team" is required to fill your bloated ego to the point that you "prefer".

Drew Battistelli said...

can i go to school and be your intern at the same time? i'm interested, already worked in Dallas & Manhattan... Otter Creek seems like the next possible place!

c said...

Brandon, my wife and I enjoyed Monday night. You should read my blog from yesterday and read my Donald Miller story. It will relay the fact that I'm a huge.....dork.

Jenni said...

I'm soooo looking forward to ZOE this year. Can't wait!

Stephen Bailey said...

Sometimes when I see people on the news who have done something wrong and are loving the attention they are getting from it, I find myself wishing the news would not even cover the story.
Sometimes I see silly comments on someone's blog and I want to respond, but because I don't want the source of those comments to receive attention, I refrain.
As someone who knows your heart I just wanted to say I love you BST, warts, preferences, bloats and all.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Thanks, Stephen. And boy, do you ever know my warts! Ha.

Mr. Klineman, I was hoping I had been a little more clear about the difference between my preference and what I feel to be best in leadership and my "bloated ego". Apparently, I didn't make a good distinction.

What I feel to be best in leadership is a team model...ironically, in that case it becomes LESS about one person and MORE about community. The focus goes off one personality or leader and it seems like a more community feel to me.

What I feel about my bloated ego-- how did you know? Maybe it was all those embarassing moments that characterize my life every day and constantly remind me that I truly am a dork. Perhaps it's how I've actually stumbled and fallen on my face walking on stage not once, not twice, but multiple times. Or maybe it's that when you look at me you can tell I'm surely the most attractive man in the entire world. HA! I'm sure that all of those helped you make that character judgment.

Whatever the case, one thing we probably agree on is that every worship leader--every LEADER--should prayerfully remain honest before the Lord and allow Him to remove all elements of self. If my comments made you think that it's all about me, I invite you to call me or email me personally and we can talk about it and hopefully I can explain a little better. My email address is: brandon@ottercreek.org.

Stephen Bailey said...

Laughed out loud thinking about you tripping getting on stage before our duet as sing-a-ling hosts! Your poor leg bleeding and us laughing as the lights came up. Who cares how we sounded or even what we sang, it's the tripping and bleeding memories that are the best!

Val said...

Sorry. Brain cloud. Brad Mitton?

Anonymous said...

Hey, My name is Rich Smith. I heard about this blog thru Paul Clark in Nashua, NH. He mentioned that there was a possible intern job and I've come running. I'm in my second year at Lipscomb and looking for work, so let me know if that is still open. My email is smithrm1@lipscomb.edu

Thanks

Deb said...

Bloated, schmoated! So what's not to be bloated about? It's hot, it's Summer in the South, you like Blue Belle, love eating Mexican. Oh, about your head ... you need to keep it covered with lots of massive shade so the HEAT doesn't penetrate. We ginger-headed and faux blondies are SO sensitive.

Burp all ya want! :)

Love ya!

PS: Sheryl is in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I apoligise for my personal criticism of Mr. Thomas, a personal attack was not my intent. My intent was to focus on the mode of worship that ZOE represents, a mode that SEEMS to deemphasize the role of the individual believer, and emphasizes the role of the praise team, a body seemingly independent from the corporate worship assembly. I welcome discourse on this concept, and am curious where this model is found in the New Twstament church.

Best regards,
Steve

Anonymous said...

A spell check would benefit you mightily, Steve...

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Check out the book..."A Church That Flies". Christ did not bring us pattern theology, He breathed FUNCTION into relationship. The Pharisees were criticized by Jesus because they paid Him lip service but their hearts were far from Him. Basically, the scriptural view that the New Testament is pattern theology and every element of what we do is spelled out there is where we might begin to disagree. It would be hard to have a constructive conversation without beginning there because we'd be approaching the conversation from completely different points of view. I have a high view of scripture. I think you do too. We just seem to come at it from completely different perspectives.

Where in the New Testament do you find mention of pews, church buildings, baptistries, classrooms, sound systems, flourescent lighting, carpet, communion tables, grape juice, hymnals, shaped notes...shall I continue? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic. I just am trying to point out that all of those things point to function that allow us to get to the heart of what we're there to do. That, to me, is what's helpful about a praise team. It is not a separate body from the church--we ARE the church. It's community ministering to each other. If you've never been around a praise team that functions like that, you're missing out.

Joel said...

Anyone else think of this classic interchange when reading the above clarification?

Harry: So you got fired today?
Lloyd: Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident.
Harry: I lost my job today too.
Lloyd: Man, you are one pathetic loser. No offense.
Harry: Oh, none taken.

On a different note: I was preparing for my sermon on Christian Communinity this weekend and was reading where Paul encouraged Euodia to rip Syntyche on her blog which I had never noticed until now.

And finally, I am looking for suggestions for what to get Brandon his birthday. So far all I can come up with is a size 14 ball cap with the prhase "BST - Yeah You Know Me" on it or a poster of himself leading worship shirtless at the Women of Faith Conference. Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

HAAAAA!

Just make sure that shirt has sequins on it and then I can do some of my old cruise ship routines.

Love the Dumb and Dumber reference.

Where's Boone when we need him?