Thursday, November 11, 2004

Several thing to mention today...

funny conversation between Maddie and Mary Carsen on the way to school today. They were talking about getting their big girl beds and then it somehow transitioned to talking about Mary Carsen's dog, Rudy.

Maddie: Does your dog talk?
MC: Ummmmmmmm...no, he doesn't talk.
Maddie: Oh, I was thinking that your dog talked.
MC: no, he's just a dog.
Maddie: is she getting bigger in a few minutes so she can have a big dog bed?
MC: No, she sleeps with my mommy and daddy.
Maddie: Oh, but she COULD get a big dog bed if she wanted to.
MC: yeah.

Not sure why that hit me as funny, but it did.

I feel like I am on an escalator trying to run backwards--away from November 15th. My birthday is Monday. I have never really cared about age. For some reason, though, this year is really bugging me. I actually had to count back the other day to make sure that I am turning the age I'm turning. I just wouldn't believe it. I know, it's dumb.

Sunday I had a conversation with Sallie Miller--new to our praise team ministry. She said, "Hey--were in a group at ACU called Take One with a guy named Jon Paul Findley?" I replied, "Yes, that was 100 years ago." She said, "I know, you guys came to Camp Deer Run and sang. I was 9 years old." Is it wrong to hit a woman?

I pulled out a picture post card I had of that Take One Summer--this cheesy picture of all of us hugging and laughing--very staged. We had a good laugh about it. Actually, a couple of times recently people have mentioned having some of those old Take One tapes (yes, TAPES--not CDs). It always makes me want to ask them to please throw them away. Perhaps it was seeing that picture again, I'm not sure--but I had a hilarious dream last night. I literally woke myself up this morning laughing.

In my dream ZOE was somewhere singing. It must have been a small town somewhere. Anyway--we were in this bookstore and I saw a CD cover and picked it up. I did a double take--the picture was that Take One picture with JP except, there were other people who had been added with computer enhancement. The weirdest thing is they were people like Jay Jones (high school friend--quarter back who went on to play for ACU and almost went pro). It was like they had lifted a high school year book picture of him in full pads but smiling really cheesy like the rest of us. He was in the bunch. Then there was Suzahn Roach. (A girl from high school with an extremely unfortunate last name.) She was randomly in the bunch. In the dream I was freaking out showing everyone this CD cover wondering why in the world someone would do that. Then, one of the Zoe guys was opening the paper of this small town and there in the entertainment section was an ad for Shrek 2. However, the ad had the same theme--that Take One picture--all of us cheesily gathered around and POINTING to Shrek. I couldn't believe my eyes--except in this picture it was that Take One group plus the group with Stephen, Kellie and John Scott. It was like someone had cut out our pictures and placed them all around Shrek. Then I began to notice more ads that were just like that. It was truly a twilight zone moment. I am not lying when I say that I woke myself up laughing. I tried to find one of the tape covers to scan so you'd see what I was talking about, but I couldn't.

In case anyone has any doubts, age is not a cure for weirdness or dorkiness... especially in my case.

We have a date night tonight and we're going out with the Woodroofs to one of our favorite restaurants, Basantes. I hope you all have a great day. I, for one, will continue to laugh all day about the thought of Jay Jones being in that Take One picture dressed in full pads. My mind is a scary place.

3 comments:

Chris said...

BST~
I hope dreams aren't always portending a reality! I recently had a dream where we had a car wreck after seeing bigfoot, and we ran into a nearby town where we met up with a ghost named 'Amazingly Orange Larry.'

Freud would have had a field day with me...

<><

Corey said...

BST-

I read your post and laughed all over again. It's even funnier in print. I love the thought of Jay Jones and Becky James laughing in the same photo but with him in full pads. I would have loved to see the look on your wife and friend's faces as you tried to explain. That had to have been priceless. I will let you know if I have random dreams tonight as a result of this. Thanks again for ruining my productivity...

Fajita said...

So yesterday Gail is cleaning out some old stuff from a box and, lo and behold, out pops a Take 1 cassette. More cheese than a Wisconsin cheddar festival. Is there some eerie, whacked out connection between your dreams and my reality? If so, please wake up and never go back to sleep.