Tuesday, November 09, 2004

It was a great weekend. We had our big pledge Sunday--totals are still being counted...hanging chads and all. I had rehearsal all afternoon Sunday and again last night. It's going well. There are quite a few lines to memorize and I am wondering when I'll be able to do that!

I can't wait to hear the bluegrass band playing with us. I know they will be fantastic. JV is really the only "Sanders Family player". Actually, all the actors are supposed to sing and act and play the instruments--but that was just a little too much--even for Music City. However, JV is saving us from too much disgrace. I believe in the course of the evening he is playing the piano-with one awesome ragtime type solo, the trumpet, and an accordian. What a multi-talented guy! The other instrumentalists will be playing guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and others.

Is anyone else in the holiday spirit? Some years it's easier than others. This year it seems Sheryl and I both are getting there early. Christmas has always been my favorite. I enjoy having the tree up, the stockings, the lights. I love that warm family feeling. After my dad died, I dreaded holidays like Christmas. My mom and I tried to do things out of our norm to break up the grief. We spent the first couple of Christmases in NYC--something everyone should do at some point. However, it wasn't until we had kids that the holiday really came back to life. I LOVE BEING A DAD! I find myself on pins and needles waiting to see their joy and surprise. Maddie can hardly stand the suspense of knowing we've bought things but having to wait until Christmas--truly my child! She saw a "purple thing" that Sheryl bought recently. It's a pair of Disney Belle shoes in a purple package. Not a day has gone by that she hasn't bugged one of us about the "purple thing". "Where is it? When can I have it? Where did you put it?" A couple of nights ago she thanked God for the "purple thing". Sheesh.

As the season approaches, schedules get tighter and tighter. If it's any indication, we had to back up our office Christmas party to November 30th. I just pray that we'll be able to take the time to enjoy and celebrate birth, hope, family, and all that we have to be thankful for. My mom will be packing up "the dreams God planted" over the coming weeks--not just a chapter of her life, but almost an entire novel. Moving is never fun or easy. However, one of the things I have always loved about my parents, and Mom especially, is their eagerness to try new things. I have the adventurous spirit deep in my DNA. I am excited about this new chapter in her life and ours. Thanks for you continued prayers about her transition.

God is good! Today we have the opportunity to live and reflect that truth. It happens in grandiose ways, yes. But, in truth, it happens more poignantly in small ways...the way we treat our spouse, the way we talk to our server at a restaurant, the way we handle people who treat us rudely, the way we respond to those who disagree with us, etc. Those scenarios sometimes take us by surprise. Maybe we could agree together to be on the lookout today for opportunities to show the glory of God in the small ways...an decide ahead of time how we will react.

4 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

It sounds like you're talking about the play "Simmons Family Christmas," though I can't seem to find a reference to a title elsewhere in your blog. If so, it's a hoot and it will be a blessing to your audience.

My exposure to it was in Abilene, with author Thom Lemmons (The Story of Jabez, et al.) as the family patriarch.

Deana Nall said...

Hey, Brandon...

I write a weekly column for the Baytown (TX) Sun and tomorrow's is about hanging, dimpled and pregnant chads and what it's like being married to one. It will be online Wednesday at http://www.baytownsun.com/columnist.lasso?who=Deana%20Nall.

Also, sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. This week got crazy -- deadlines all over the place. You'll hear from me by the end of the week.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Keith-
Actually, it's "Sanders Family Christmas". I heard the production in Abilene was quite good. It's a really fun show!

Keith Brenton said...

"Sanders", of course. I'm an old guy. That's what I get for trying to comment on blogs and do work at the same time ... particularly work with the name "Simmons" in it. Break a leg!