Tuesday, November 30, 2004

I am sure we all have stories to share from our Thanksgiving holiday. We had a long trip to Arkansas after sitting on I65 for an hour and 45 minutes waiting on a wreck to be moved. I kept thinking about all the people in that long interstate line. Where were they going? How had that wreck messed up their plans? How would the holidays be affected for the people involved in the wreck?

It was nice to be in Cherokee Village. There's absolutely nothing to do. It forces you to relax and slow down. The girls were so excited to see their grandparents. Our dog, Bear, was extremely happy to be on a family trip and enjoyed the turkey bone she had on T-Giving. We enjoyed time with Sheryl's parents. Chris and Gail, Cindy and Billy and all the kids were so much fun to be around too.

Sunday morning we went to the Ash Flat Church of Christ...not quite as backwoods as one might expect. I'd venture to say that Ash Flat is one of the more progressive churches anywhere out there. However, I couldn't help but be struck with the cultural influences. Everything was laid back--the song leader actually said from the pulpit after being asked from the pews to repeat what song number it was... "I've told you twice, now everybody listen up and let's sing!"

There was a flag by the stage and while the singing wasn't devoid of emotion, an emotional current came forth as we all rose and sang "My Country Tis Of Thee". Can you recall those lyrics? I promise, I'm not anti government, but that seems a weird song to be sandwiched into a worship period. "Of Thee I sing?????" I've always marveled at how church members can trod through praise songs and then come to life in honor of veterans or of our country. It always makes me feel like I am in a Kiwanis Club meeting instead of a worship service.

Having said that, I am glad there's a church as genuine and loving as Ash Flat for the Rathbuns to attend. They really love it and I am so glad that it's a place where at least there aren't sermons on how clapping is a sin or other ridiculous notions like that.

One last thing on Arkansas in general. Who knew that camouflage could be worn in so many different variations. It is THE fashion statement there to wear camo. There was one sort of upscaled baby shop that had nice toile stuff and things we would never buy...including a velvet camouflage blanket. I am not lying.

We headed back Sunday night and I rehearsed all the way back--running lines, listening to the music and trying to be ready for our rehearsals this week. Sheryl was a tremendous help!

Our rehearsal last night was light years from last week. We had a great night. The show is coming together and I think we were all really encouraged. If you are around Nashville, plan to join us for one of the shows. It will run 3 nights on the weekend of December 17, 18, 19. I hope you'll try and come.

It's cold, rainy, and dark today! Where is my beloved summer sunshine? Sorry--no poems about winter flowing from me today. Tonight is our staff Christmas party. Is it December yet? We always have a blast.

Yesterday we put up one of our Christmas trees. The girls had so much fun "helping". It only gets better with each passing year. The older they get, the more excited they are about the tree, the season, the stories, etc. It's so fun! It really has made the holidays a thing of joy after enduring a decade without my dad and not loving this season as much.

Speaking of, Maddie has gotten to where she wants to hear "Poppy" stories every night. "Poppy" is what we're calling my dad. Her favorite one right now is how my dad would sometimes wait until I went to sleep and tie my big toe to the end of the bed. She can't get that out of her mind. She also likes the one about how Dad used to dress up like an old man and go to the school where he was Principal and trick people. I love that she's so into that.

Finally, my mom's house is really coming together. We have the final walk through on Dec 8--just a week away! Mom closes on the 15th. It's happening very quickly. She is having lots of parties and send offs in the meantime. I am so grateful for the friends she has in Abilene. I pray that the Lord will surround her with meaningful relationships here in Nashville. He is good to supply all we need! On that note, have a great day realizing his supply for you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon, when I read about your trip to Ash Flat, I was struck by all of the interesting (and sometimes weird) ways that God connects people in his family. You don't really know me, although we have met a couple of times through my friend Kip Long. About 4 years ago, Kip was invited to do a quick little weekend workshop at the Ash Flat church and he asked a few of us on our praise team to come along. That weekend still stands out in my mind as one of the best times that I have had as part of a praise team. Having spent many a summer vacation as a kid with my grandparents in a similar small Arkansas town, I had some preconceived ideas about how "traditional" this church would be. But they proved me wrong by how excited they were for Kip to be there and help them learn about praise teams and teach them new songs.

They also took great care of us while we were there. In fact, if we had stayed there much longer, we all would have been 100 pounds heavier! One older lady in the congregation invited us to lunch after worship on Sunday and I've been to Luby's Cafeterias that had less food than she had at her house.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that they are still doing well. Thanks for your posts.

Jimmy Knight
JKnight100@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Buddy, I'd be just as concerned about a church who flies a flag and sings about alegiance to a country as I would a church who argues over clapping. I know a few people from Ash Flat, and I'm sure it's a wonderful chruch. Just something to think about.
Daren Stanley

Eshinee Veith said...

It's possible to be too hard on "My Country Tis of Thee". It reads like a psalm; patriotic in the beginning and ending up with submission to God in the end. See?

My country tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died!
Land of the Pilgrim's pride!
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love.
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture fills
Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song.
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our father's God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King!


No mention of allegiance, here. I'm not even American and I was moved the last time this was sung in church. My emotions were more along the line of being torn between national pride and shame, followed by a fresh wave of hope as I, at the end of the song, turned to God in a plea for my own country.

Like all elements of worship, this song will only be as valid and useful as the individual allows it to be.