Thursday, April 12, 2007

What a week! We are all still spinning from the incredible Easter experience last weekend. We had an all day ministerial meeting yesterday where we discussed visioning and how to fill some of the gaps we're experiencing in a growing and busy church. It was a great day to reconnect with each other and some of our dreams and goals for OC.

I took some time "off" the beginning of the week to take care of some other things that I needed to get done. I am also vocal directing for a cast for Norwegian Cruise Line and the Gary Musick Company in my off time. It has been such a fun thing to step back in that world for a moment. The kids are so talented! I am jealous of their itinerary. They will be performing on NCL's Marco Polo which basically will take them around the world. (maybe I'll get to go check on them?!)

Back when I worked for Norwegian, the shows were produced by a company out of Fort Lauderdale...which is where we rehearsed and lived for a few weeks. Now, Gary has some of the Norwegian contracts and he is based here in Nashville so the casts come here to rehearse. It provides a great opportunity to get outside the church walls every now and then and get to be involved in the lives of performers who are in a different world. This cast is smaller--4 singers and maybe 5 dancers or something. The singers are from NY, Toronto, Boston, and Iowa. It's been nice getting to know them. Maddie, Sam and Sheryl came up at one point this week to check the progress. Maddie was so thrilled to be there. She is a performer at heart! Saturday they will run the show and the whole family will get to come and watch.


Rochelle, Sarah and Maddie


Rod, Dallas, Sarah and Rochelle look over one of their shows called "A Night of Stars" before doing a vocal run of the show.


Dallas and Sarah croon through one of their run-throughs

----
Last year Parable Bookstores commissioned Eric Wyse and me to make a CD for kids. I wanted to do something with a Jack Johnson kind of sound (he recorded the soundtrack to the movie "Curious George"). TJ McCloud immediately came to mind because he is one of my favorite artists and has that Jack Johnson vibe going--especially now that he and Holly are really LIVING on the beach! (They are missionaries in the Dominican Republic...look for their website in my links.)

The CD was called Playground and you can order it here . It was a huge success for Parable and brought some great attention to TJ's awesome style and writing abilities. Parable decided they wanted another one so TJ has been hard at work writing a new set of songs. The new CD which is titled "I Want to Shine" will release after Memorial Day.

TJ flew in last Friday and has been working on vocals all week. I am producing this one and having a blast. In my opinion, the songs are even better and the tracks are stronger. TJ has really knocked it out of the park! Some of the songs include, "Firefly (I Want to Shine)", "Jonah", "We're Goin to the Beach", "God is Good", "I Will Song Over You", "Playground--remix", "Ice Cream", "John 3:16" and more. I absolutely LOVE "Ice Cream" (maybe because it's dedicated to the Thomas kids!)


Here's TJ...aka Captain Dominican


We used the studio group "Kids Call" again this year for the songs that have kids' voices on them. They are fantastic!


I am so proud of TJ and I can't wait for you to hear this new record! I'll let you know more about ordering once it gets closer to release date.

I have a special interest in TJ's music career. He was my worship intern 5 years ago and then moved to Nashville after graduating from ACU. I am such a fan and so thrilled at what God is doing in and through him in both the Dominican and in the States!

Speaking of interns...I've also been spending some time this week getting things ready for my first worship intern SINCE TJ. Kyler will be here the middle of May. He has a great heart for worship and I think he will be a great leader. I'm looking forward to journeying with him this summer.

Now...if only my taxes would magically be done...Have a great week, friends!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Next year you should let my husband do your taxes. If you feel brave, you can see if he has time to knock 'em out for you this weekend!

Elizabeth C. said...

I just ordered "Playground" for my niece and nephew and they love it. I loved it so much that I'm going to order another copy for myself and I'm going to order some extras for baby gifts as well. It definitely has that "Jack Johnson" kind of feel to it (and it's much too good to let only the kiddos enjoy it!) : ) I'm so excited that he's working on another one already!

I found TJ's music through your blog and he is now one of my favorite artists too! I got his CD "Kind of Life" and listen to it all the time. He is very talented and I look forward to hearing much more music from him.

Eric Livingston said...

Hey Brandon, you might hook up with Mitch Monroe in Lubbock. He specializes in finances/taxes for ministers. My short experience with him has been that his services pay for themselves.

http://www.assistfinancial.com/