Thursday, April 26, 2007

Recently, I was showing some pictures saved on my laptop to some kids who were only a year or two out of college. It was at that moment that I realized exactly HOW DATED those pictures are. Oh my word. It was a walk back in time--and gave all of us a great laugh. I decided to share a little of memory lane with you today as I take a quick mental break between planning 5000 different worship segments (at least that's how it feels!!).

These are simply priceless. The sheer embarrassment I am bringing on myself by posting some of these is all worth the pain...because I am getting to embarrass others too. :) I'll be sure to point out some of my favorite parts...


Freshman Class officers--Tara McKnight Seidman, Shannon McKnight Wilburn, Jennifer Wade Shewmaker, Amber Bogle, Stephen Bailey, Wes Stamps, me, Brent McCall, and Shane Holland. I would love to point out how curls were obviously "in" or how Brent looks like he's 10 years old, or how Stephen and Jennifer are trying to give a cool "gang" sign that ended up being the "I love you" sign...but my mullet seems to overshadow it all. Bless.

Our Freshman year in Sing Song we were eye balls. Yes, eyeballs. It was my first run in with a serious uni-brow. Our costumes flipped up and down and changed from brown to blue when we sang "Don't it make my brown eyes blue..." I think I can actually still sing that entire show. Hilarious. Stephen was our director and he was a giant bottle of Visine! Pictured here are Wendy Wray Ogren, Amy Nichols Boone, Nino Elliott, me, Stephen Bailey, and Patrice Nataliccio Powell. (that's right, you Otter Creekers...that's Patrice Powell!)



These were my college roommies... Stephen, Chris Doggett, and Craig Fisher. This was taken at the Siggie golf social in 1989 or 90


Who can forget Matt the wildcat? He lived on my floor in Maybe and one night Stephen, Alan Brown, Matt Robbins and I sat up laughing until all hours of the night in our hall. The stories from that night 18 years ago still live on...one word...Dingleberry man.


Shelly and Kendra pose as flight attendants---Soph year Kojie Sing Song 1990.


Soph class officers. This was at our Soph class "Return to Happy Days" social. Tara McKnight Seidman, Shannon McKnight Wilburn, Jennifer Wade Shewmaker, Shane Holland, Brent McCall, Wes Stamps, me, Stephen Bailey. Stephen was about to take a smoke break.


Drew and Shelby Anderson pose after Sing Song our Junior year 1991. I got to see both of them at the ZOE conference in Lubbock. It was so AWESOME to get to worship with them and see their beautiful children and share with each other for a while.


My Junior year I was a Sing Song host with some of my very best friends! It was such a blast. And...unfortunately the mullet had only grown. Pictured here are... Val Durrington, Kimberly Meador Condor, me, Kristen Beherends Ward, Stephen Bailey, Darcy Washburn Chapman, and Martha Kate Stallings Gunn.


I was also in a couple of touring groups at ACU who toured and recruited for the University--Take One, Daybreak, Reflections... this was Reflections performing in the amphitheater at ACU. This picture absolutely cracks me up. Can you imagine telling a college student today in 2007 that they have to wear a pantsuit? What?? And the hair...oh my soul, the hair. Kimberly must have destroyed an entire layer of ozone. This picture was taken around 1990.
pictured here are Stephen Bailey, Martha Kate Stallings Gunn, me, Andy Kirby, Kimberly Meador Condor and Jennifer Langford.


My senior year was one of the best---they all were, actually. This was taken at a cookout at my parents house. I LOVED the twins! Jennifer and Julie Wade are pictured here with Wynn Bradley Heyen (hi, Wynn!!!). These were three of my favorite people.


Senior year Sing Song...Kojies dressed up like maids. 1992


The ACU Homecoming court our senior year...if none of the other pictures date themselves, this one DOES!


Our senior class was Fred and Wilma Flinstone in Sing Song that year---1992


I directed Gamma Sigs that year. We were doctors and surgeons. 1992


Senior class officers--taken at my parents house... Stephen, Mike Shanks, me, Craig, Terry Sparks, and Chris Campbell. Nice sweater vest, Fish. You should frame that and put it in your office at school. Oh wait...you ALREADY DID!


My roommates...we finished! 1992 Graduation---Stephen, Chris Doggett, me and Craig. We still email and talk frequently. I'm so, SO grateful for their friendship. It's seen me through some hard days. I remember flying to Dallas last May and sitting around a table with the 3 of them for hours as we poured out our lives. They helped me step OFF the cliff! HA! But, seriously, isn't that what real friendship is about...being in it for the long haul? I am a blessed man.

OK...well there you have it. Some hilarious pics from days gone by. I am certain there are comments to be made. Hope this made you laugh today...

15 comments:

eshanks said...

I'm Mike Shanks' wife, and I can't wait to tell him about this post. We have lots of pictures like this laying around our house. They're great for parties. He looks like a little kid. Thanks for the laughs!
Erin Shanks

Jenni said...

love it. I'm a few years behind you -- just enough that I remember being a middle schooler selling girl scout cookies to the McKnight sisters in both Nelson and Sikes dorms! yikes.

John Owens said...

Why did every vocal group use those big, nasty, foam wind-screens? They muffled the sound and harbored way too much spit and way too many germs.

And I often I apologize to young people today for the fashion and hairstyles of the 80's/early 90's. God have mercy on us.

Christy said...

The right words escape me just now...the hair, the clothes, it's just all too much.

Should I mention I was just STARTING high school in '92?!?!

Jacinda said...

Well, I'm Mike Shanks' sister-in-law and I was laughing at his picture! I'm glad to see Erin posted about it too. He looks like a baby compared to now!!!! Those were all hilarious!

I used to destroy quite a bit of ozone with all my hairspray, too!

Gem said...

I can't believe there's not a single bow in those girls' hair! Didn't y'all have bowheads at ACU in the '80s/'90's or was that a purely HU phenomenon?

Deb said...

Thanks, Brandon, my darlin’.

I have always wondered what the exact definition of ‘mullet’ was, and when I heard people talking about a mullet they knew or somebody else’s mullet, I just assumed they were talking about something furry, like a pet. It really helps that you have been able to illustrate the REAL thing to me. Now I get it – those mullets sure made up a lot of the scenery back in Kentucky. We called them thangs ‘Hillbilly-do’s’!

But back then, mullets and bowheads went hand in hand. My, how time flies!
;)

stuckinthe80s said...

Ah, yes. How can I forget the words: "Then...you choked on your red jello; blue...eyes cryin'...in The Bean."

Almost as good as "Short and squatty, funny little body, Barney Rubble!"

Zoe oughtta try to work those memorable lyrics into one of their next songs!

Stephen Bailey said...

Ha! I remember looking at my parents yearbooks when I was a kid and thinking how funny and dated they were. I couldn't imagine I would ever have that feeling about our pictures. But, oh my! I love looking at them, but I was terrible about taking them. You were always good about that. My plan to hang out with you all the time worked. It was the only way I'd have pictues to remember things in my old age. Thanks for sharing.

judy thomas said...

Those were wonderful days! I loved every day and all your friends. I hope the young people you showed them to will have a wonderful university experience like you did.

k2 said...

which one of these is your brother?
http://ignitermedia.com/snippets/images/blog47.jpg

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

the good looking one, of course. (front left) And if by "brother" you mean not related at all, then that's him. Actually, Rob and I have been pretending to be brothers for YEARS. Lots of people have thought we were--I don't mind at all. Rob's a great friend who has made me laugh more times than I can count. Love HIM!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Campbell--
You OUGHT to remember those Barney Rubble lyrics! That was so much fun! Funny and weird thing is...I randomly will sing that line to myself even 15 years later...
Ba Ba Ba Ba Barney Rubble
Ba Ba Ba Ba Barney Rubble...
SHORT AND SQUATTY, FUNNY LITTLE BODY Barney Rubble!

Heather's House said...

Those pics crack me up. I went to LCU in 1991 and I have some pics that look just like that! HAHA And to think....we all thought we looked HOT.. :)

Deana Nall said...

When I worked in the ACU alumni office in the late '90s, I had pictures of all the Homecoming Courts from about 1989 on in my office. It was amazing how the hair and earrings grew smaller in each picture until the court of 1999 looked pretty normal.