Tuesday, July 05, 2005

4 years ago today we got up very early and drove to the hospital with such a sense of anxious expectation. We couldn't wait to see the face of our daughter, but we had never gone through this experience. Maddie waited a long time to decide to be born that day. When she arrived, we were instantly in love. She had the perfect cherub face. She was soft, pink and very cuddly.



This morning something happened that rarely, if ever, happens. Ella slept until 8:45am. That has to be a serious record for her. Meanwhile, it gave me time alone with Maddie. I told her the story of the day she was born. I couldn't help but cry a little. She has been such a blessing to me (as have all our kids).

As I was preparing to make her breakfast she said, "Please daddy, may I have some oatmeal?" I said, "You've got a deal, birthday girl!" She then made sure that I had noticed how she asked for it. (I've been telling her that big 4 yr old girls are polite and don't whine.) She said, "I'm 4 now and I know how to ask." Too sweet. This gives some comfort for all the 1000's of times Sheryl and I have said, "Can you think of a different way to ask instead of 'I want, I want'?" (I know we'll keep saying that another million or so times, but it was nice to see at least some recogition that it's getting through this morning.)

We had a great night at the Rubio's celebrating the 4th with their family and the Woodards. God's blessed us with special friendships. I am so grateful.

I'll leave you today with some pictures from the party this weekend. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDIE!!









2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

Blessings to you and your wonderful family. Got any tips on how to tell a 4-year-old BOY how to ask for things???

Anonymous said...

Hi Brandon,

This is Susan and Shelby. You have such beautiful children!!
I was on your website ordering the new CD and saw that I could read your daily thoughts.
I've been reading them for about a week now and it helps me see things in a different perspective because of yours and Sheryl's love of God.

Thanks so much for sharing and please keep us in your prayers that we will find our way again.

Susan