Friday, January 14, 2005



Last night Sheryl and I went to see Finding Neverland. I highly recommend it. It's tough to recover after seeing it, but it's worth it.

January 13th is my father's birthday. Typically, I try to do something to remember him on that day like go down to the inner city daycare (Wayne Reed center) and read to the kids, or try to cut snow flakes into crazy shapes, or write notes to friends--something that he would do. That helps me feel close to him. Yesterday I found myself at the end of the day and having done nothing really like that as in years past. The movie last night ended up being that thing. Sheryl and I both confessed later that we had to fight back the sobbing reflex while watching. It was wonderful.

My father was really Peter Pan in a lot of ways. He was the boy who never really grew up. He also helped others see how rigid "adulthood" could rob them of the fun of living. He taught people to "fly" by thinking of good things. He told stories about pirates, Indians, far away places, and imaginary creatures. I remember stories at bedtime about places where the trees dripped with taffy and carmeled apples, the grass was cotton candy, and the clouds were marshmallows. I remember stories about "Little Joe" who lived with his family in a hole in our garden (sort of like the "Borrowers". Of course there was the tragic day when my father was plowing the front garden and I realized he was plowing them up and ran out to stop him. He left a space where Joe's home supposedly was.) He was a man much like the author of Peter Pan. He made a difference in people's lives--especially children. He saw raw gifts in people and encouraged them to cultivate them. He was a great man.

However, just like the ticking clock inside the crocodile in the story of Peter Pan, it's a reminder that we are all being chased by the inevitable. We are but a blade of grass--here today and gone tomorrow. BUT--unlike those characters, our "Neverland" is real. We have an inheritance that cannot spoil or fade away. As Peter Pan said, "To die would be an awfully grand adventure!" It's true for us too. There is much work to be done here. There are dreams to instill. There are people to touch. There are lives waiting to be changed. There are crippled hearts waiting for the touch from the Master through our love. What an adventure we are on! To live is Christ. To die is gain. Both are incredible adventures when the Lord is with us.

2 comments:

christine pinson said...

Yesterday was my dad's birthday also. He turned 60. Isn't it such a precious relationship between a child and their father. You remind me to always treasure that relationship and never take it for granted. Your dad sounds like an amazing man from all of the stories and memories you share. I appreciate your willingness to be so candid with your precious memories so that your Dad can live on even for people who never had the privilege of knowing him. My baby boy shares my father's name also...what a precious gift to give your son...the name of a great man whose heritage will always live on your little boy!

Brian said...

Hey Brandon,
I posted this back several months ago when you had an entry in your blog about your dad just before you went to Abilene to get your Young Alumnus Award (apparently that was a busy week for you!).
When I read that particiular post, it was already old so I am not sure that your readers saw it. So I thought, in honor of his birthday, I would re-post it and add a memory of your dad from a non-family member's perspecitve. I barely knew him and he made an impression on me that I still recall today.
It had to have been amazing (and a bit crazy) to grow up with him (or not grow up as the case may be...since the picture of you sitting in you daughters play house does not exactly conjure up the idea of adulthood! Your dad taught you well!)
Anyway, here is my memory of BST's dad:
*****************
Brandon, I started reading your blog and came across this about your dad, and I have to share a story with you that I have never shared. I'm not sure why I have never talked about it, because I litterally think about it quite often, even to this very day.
When I was at ACU, it was a difficult time for me on many levels and an amazingly wonderful time on many levels. But one of the not so amazing times durring my freshman year in 198(whatever, lets not go there) I was walking through campus, thinking, crying, praying, obsessing... you know, the usual. It was somewhat late, I was alone, and this man walked past me and stopped and said something along the lines of "be sad for a while if you want, but don't forget the joy of the Lord" I must have looked at him like he was crazy, I had no idea who he was. I stood there wondering who this crazy man was that was intruding on my self pity. HOW RUDE!
He came up to me and said he didn't need to know what the issue/problem was, but just wanted to remind me that to find joy you just have to look around and it will show itself, but that I had to be open to seeing it or I would miss it. I didn't say a word, all I could do was stare at him. He told me he hoped I had a better night and started to walk away. Then he turned around and said something like, "oh and by the way...." he was reaching in his coat pocket and pulled out this yellow plasic thing and pointed it at me. Now, I saw a yellow something coming out of it and instantly thought he was spraying me with mustered! I screamed and ducked, but he had this mustered bottle rigged with yellow yarn, I think to freak people out (and it worked on me!). I looked up, and with a TOTALLY straight face he said, "You should laugh too", and pointed up to the sky. Then he just walked away.
I sat there STUNNED for a while, then I just started laughing. I stood there in the middle of campus, by myself, tears still in my eyes, laughing so hard I snorted (you may remember the snort laugh I have).
Anyway, I didn't know who he was, never knew he was your dad until he got sick, and then I just didn't know if I should tell you.
But anyway, he made a change in me, and I know you are doing the same thing daily with your ministry. So if you are striving to be half the man he was, I think you have made it. Time to set your sights higher. I am sure your parents, like most, wanted their kids to fly higher than they flew. Your mom (and dad I'm sure) must be proud that they achieved such a worthy goal.
Now go squirt someone with yellow yarn!!