Sunday, January 02, 2005

I am sitting here tonight waiting on our friend, Jeff Johnson, to arrive. He and his girlfriend, Jordan, came to Nashville tonight for the opening of the Passion Worship Conference. Jeff is fresh off his experience with American Idol. I can't wait to hear stories. They are staying until Tuesday.

We had a pretty good morning. Lots of people traveling. Scott McDowell preached and did an awesome job. He is so tall. I told someone tonight that I thought I could wear his shoes as pants. I got up on stage after his sermon to lead worship and the music stand we were sharing was literally over my head. His message was great today. The congregation seemed zombie-fied though. Maybe it was the holiday rush being over and everyone feeling tired. Who knows? I just thought first service was like waking the dead---unsuccessfully, I might add.

This week will be crazy. I head to Orlando on Wednesday for a couple of days of Music Florida. I will also get to see a couple of friends out there. Between now and then I am trying to soak in as much family time as possible.

ONE WEEK FROM TOMORROW we find out whether this baby is a boy or a girl. I am so pumped! Either way, we just want it to be healthy and A SLEEPER! Is that too much to ask? I'll keep you posted. Sheryl felt a strong kick the other night. That was exciting confirmation that things seem to be going well.

The sermon this morning came from Mark 10. Bartimaeus called to Jesus saying, "Have mercy on me, Son of David!" Jesus asked him, "What do you want me to do for you?" This was no "health/wealth" message. I despise that line of thinking, if you can even call it thinking. Imagine Jesus saying that to you as we stand in the door way of 2005. Preface it with a moment of careful thinking...and hear those words of Jesus. "What do you want me to do for you?" Would it be to remove a sin that plagues you? Would it be to give you the eyes to see--to really see--with Spiritual sight? Would it be to have discerning wisdom? Would it be to find healing in your marriage or your heart? I was struck with the lavish love of the Father today. I am not sure how I would answer that question. I liked Scott's answer though--"I want what YOU want for me." Maybe that should be our prayer this year?

3 comments:

Clarissa said...

I've prayed that prayer often over the years ... "I want what You want for me." I don't always like the answers, though. But I keep praying it.
Sorry, I was one of the dead people at first service. Didn't mean to be, but I was nevertheless. Oh, well. At least we made it to first service. Loved that song Eve sang. So pretty.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I want to know God's will, it seems so elusive, but whan I am satisfied with my own, His will shows up. It is as if God trusts me when I trust Him, but when I trust myself, he steps in.

Anonymous said...

Brandon,
I find myself saying that prayer too often and like Clarissa find myself not liking the answers that God shares. However, I must remember that "It's not about me, but all about Him and what He does through me!"

You attending the worship conference at the GEC? I met up with a buddy of mine thats from Kansas where I interned a few summers ago at Overland Park Church and got to have some good times together this afternoon and evening who is attending the event.

-Zac-