Monday, December 06, 2004

OK--yesterday morning I needed a self-censor button. For the love! It was way worse than "feeling full as a tick". I had worn this funky denim shirt and during second service when one of our comedic elders did his closing he borrowed a shirt from the room in the inn closet and pretended to present it to me since I "clearly didn't have anything to wear." It was humorous.

Then I had to respond. I began by apologizing for the blooper in the bulletin. Bobby Colvert's name is NOT spelled "booby". Then I had to make reference to Tim's recent sphincter comment in his "we are the body" sermon. That should have been enough right there. However, in getting George back (the elder) I went on and jumped right over the edge WITHOUT realizing it. I think my comment went something like this, " Next week, I'll be writing the front article about George Buck. We'll just see how I mess up YOUR name." Yeah--It was somewhere about mid way through the last part of that sentence that I realized how that might sound and wanted to physically reach into the air to grab the words. Wow. I need a muzzle. As the laughter roared and the praise team looked at me like I had lost my mind I concluded by saying, "Maybe we should just sing our final song now." The final song? "We Are the Body of Christ". It was just a wrong 10 miunte segment no matter how you slice it.

Highland Church in Abilene, my home church, celebrated their 75th anniversary last weekend. Lynn Anderson and Mike did a great job, so I heard. What a special place that is!

So...today we went down to have fresh Krispy Kreme donuts before hitting the doctor's office. It was Sheryl's appt. and the entire family went with us. Why would you think an entire family might go to the doctor's office? Hmmm? Sheryl is 13.5 weeks pregnant!! We heard a good strong heartbeat today. We've been waiting a long time to tell until we heard the heartbeat. It's been really hard not to spill the beans to you all. God is good!

Marilyn Switzer came up to Sheryl yesterday at church and said, "I just heard about your good news! You and Brandon are the kinds of parents who SHOULD be having more babies! Congratulations!" That might be one of the coolest comments anyone has made. AND--it's way better than the typical, "Are you CRAZY?" "WOW." "Oh my--bless you." or, my favorite, "Was it on purpose?" Thanks for being so encouraging, Marilyn!

Well, that's my big news for today. Thanks for rejoicing with us. Stay tuned for "Guess that name." Have a great day, everyone!!

15 comments:

Beaner said...

Congrats on #3!!!! And please, PLEASE don't tell your wife, but remember that post you wrote w/your family's picture in the golf cart? Well, I thought she looked pregnant. Sometimes us moms 'know' these kind of things, but I would dare never ask!!!!!!

Maybe you should've changed your last song to "If You Miss Me"! LOL!!!! It's good that you can laugh at yourself. Have a great week!

Chris said...

Congratulations!! I bet the girls are so excited!! (Not to mention you and Sheryl!)

Phil said...

In honor of this weekend, if the baby is a boy, the name should be "George Booby Thomas"

Or even Bobby.

Tim Castle said...

Cool! Congratulations, Brandon and Sheryl! My mom has always said, "Good people should have lots of babies!" Of course, she said that more when we let everyone know that two was enough for us.

Hope you get a boy, so the family singing group will have a bass!

Clarissa said...

Now I'm sorry I had to cut out early to pick up children and I missed all your flubs.

I'm happy for you & Sheryl! God knows what he's doing. Good thing your mom is moving here. You'll both be glad to have an extra pair of willing hands nearby once #3 arrives, especially those first few months. The voice of experience ... it was a hard time for me when Abbie came and we lived out in Hermitage and family was far away.

My least favorite comment on pregnancy -- someone said, "Well, that'll be interesting" upon hearing I was expecting Chloe. And the way she said it implied that she did not approve. Tone can be worse than words themselves, of course. That still smarts. "Congratulations" would've sufficed.

Val said...

Congratulations! That was a great move on the "Buck" reference. Oh yeah- congratulations on the pending arrival. It's cool to hear that Sheryl is "Great with child." Truth be told, she's pretty great even without. I just posted a picture of our kids today on our 2nd blog. It's amazing how fast they've grown. Keep us posted.

christine pinson said...

That is so awesome! What a precious blessing God is giving you and what a special blessing you and your family will be to that sweet baby! We are praying for yall, that God will place His hedge of protection around Sheryl and that beautiful child. Maybe by the time the baby is born we can be in Nashville and he or she can be friends with Jack!

julie said...

congratulations...all of you!!! Children are so wonderful...life would be so boring without them. Now you will have new great stories to make us laugh some more. I love how candid you are with your blog...the craziness of raising children, bloopers from bulletins and your own mouth...I love it. You make me laugh! I don't do enough of that but you bring me there. thanks. Julie

Unknown said...

Yes God is good. Congrats to the Thomas' on the upcoming addition to your family. May the Lord be with you in your adventure you are about to begin.

SG said...

FINALLY!!! YEAH!!! I am so glad we can talk about this now! I am so excited for all of you!!! Rob says congrats to you also. I am going to vote early in the name contest and you already know my names Sam for a boy and Samantha for a girl. I don't know Mrs Switzer but yes, you and sheryl are the type people who should have lots of kids...three at least:) Love you guys!

Val said...

Something to think about when considering names- Val can go either way (The name, I mean. For the love!).

RD said...

Congrats Brandon! Actually someone at the ZOE conference (I'm not even sure who he was but he was sitting around us) said something to imply that she was pregnant but I of course was not ever going to ask!! Congratulations!
rebecca

Mae said...

Warm fuzzies! How exciting for all of you ~ many congratulations to the Thomas clan!

john alan turner said...

BST -- What's strange is that you and I don't really know each other outside of the blogosphere, but I knew you guys were expecting. Back at the Zoe Conference I overheard a conversation. But I'm so out of the loop in cofc circles, that there wasn't anyone I could tell. It's been a strange secret for me, but now I can tell everyone: I knew it!

SG said...

PS what is the babies ETA? or due date? :)