Friday, January 13, 2006

One funny story from Disney--

We had come back to Magic Kingdom from Epcot and everyone was in need of a pick-me-up. Sam was hungry, the girls were cranky, and I was ready to put a for sale sign on the stroller (including its contents).

Sheryl decided she'd head to the baby station to nurse and Maddie and Ella and I decided to hit the ice cream shop on Main Street. It's already awkward enough taking a stroller in there but I had to. Everyone, including me, decided we wanted an ice cream float. (Yum--I want one just thinking about it!) I waited in line and when the treats were ready I noticed how very full to overflowing they were. I took the liberty of sipping some out of Maddie's and handed it to her. She can usually manage without spilling. Ella, on the other hand, is a mini-me when it comes to being klutzy. I decided I'd hold on to hers and mine in both hands and guide the stroller through the shop, out the door, and onto the sidewalk using my elbows. A nice gentleman held the door for me. I looked across the street and spied some tables and thought to myself...if I can just get across the street we can sit there and enjoy!

In my haste, I forgot about the curb and the stroller went plummeting forward and Maddie and Ella began to spill out. Instinctively, I grabbed for the stroller and them but lost one of the floats. It fell forward in slow-mo emptying its contents on Maddie's head. Plop. A big glob of vanilla ice cream sat perched atop her head while rivers of Coke and melted ice cream flowed down her face and neck. It was one of those moments when you either laugh or cry. Fortunately, it was so hilarious I couldn't help myself. I fell apart laughing. Maddie began to laugh and Ella was screaming laughing.

Families all around us watched and felt sorry for us and we began to be showered with wet wipes. I'm convinced that there are more wet wipes at Disney than anywhere else on earth. I patted Maddie's head dry while we continued to giggle. I went back in and they were nice enough to give me a new one. And we were off for our table carrying with us our Coke floats and a new fun memory of our time at Disney.

Happy birthday today to my father, Sam Thomas. That story was for you, Dad! You'd have been on the street laughing!

5 comments:

Craig said...

I love that story. I wish I could have seen it. I love your Dad. Happy birthday Sam.

Karen said...

Now that's a story worth remembering! Even a bad day at Disney World is better than a bad day anywhere else.

BTW, any word on the camera yet???

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

No camera yet. We're still praying.

One additional note about wet wipes...it seems they are always in abundance until you REALLY need them. Sheryl sent me to the restroom by the flying Dumbos with Sam because he "had a little poopie." There was nothing little about this. It was like the 7th plague and had taken over his entire back and outfit. I realized soon into my attempt to change him that this was not going to work. I had run out of wipes (used the entire box) and had began grabbing paper towels. Meanwhile this formica counter top was slippery and Sam was not helping me. He was wiggling all over and there was poop smudged from here to Dumbo. I finally had to pick up my cell phone and call Jakie to come in and help. It took the TWO of us to get this poop situation under control. Another hilarious moment at Disney!

Stephen Bailey said...

Laughed out loud when I received your simple text message that day about the float. You're right, Sam would have laughed hard. He would have quietly helped clean up with a sly grin and a twinkle in his eye. Then later he would tell of the event and it would be even funnier. Good poop story too!

Anonymous said...

Clearly we were separated at birth......

When our 3 were very young I was dragging them thru the Portland, OR airport to fly for 136 hours (in December) to see Nana. A lady came out from a store at the airport to ask me if those 3 kids were mine. As in HAD I KIDNAPPED THEM. I am (was) dark brunette and our kids were tow-head blonde. I said, "Do I LOOK insane? I know I don't remotely resemble them but let's do the math here. Lady kidnaps 3 young children who look nothing like here (with a stroller) and gets on a plane to fly from Portland to Searcy, Arkansas? This clearly is more secretive than a witness protection program."

In the words of Bill Engvall...HERE'S YOUR SIGN.

I do feel your pain about your camera, I hope it shows up soon.

Love you! Julie