Friday, September 02, 2005

Yesterday was a long one for all of us. Sheryl's surgery began at 8:00am and lasted until 1pm. We'd been sitting in the surgical waiting room watching all these doctors come visit with families and about 1:15 a nurse came over and said, "Are you Mr. Thomas?" I said that I was and she asked if I had any other family with me. I began to get nervous and told her, "yes". She said, "Doctor Dasari would like to meet with you and your family down the hall in a private room."

I freaked. PRIVATE ROOM?? Why the private room? Why not just say everything's fine? Why is he not here himself like the other doctors?

So, we followed her down the hall and sat in this little room with couches waiting, waiting, waiting. 10 minutes passed...no Dr. Dasari. I don't know when my stomach has ever been in knots like that. Sheryl's parents and my mom were with me and we were all just looking at each other.

FINALLY, the doctor walked in and said everything went well and that she was in recovery. We collectively breathed a sigh of relief. He spent about 20 minutes with us and was very thorough. We liked him very much. He did an amazing job. PRAISE THE LORD!!! I have never been so glad to see her!

Sheryl is still there and may not get to come home until Saturday. We're waiting to get the word. I'm waiting for Sam to wake up from his morning nap so that I can go up and see her.

Praise God for community! Yesterday between my mom, Sarah Williamson, Jill Young, Lauren Gingles, Katey Earles, Molly, Amanda and who knows who else...our kids were well taken care of. In fact, they enjoyed the bustle of different people playing with them throughout the day. They also had their first official day of school since it got cancelled on Monday because of Katrina.

While we waited for 5 hours until the surgery was completed I watched CNN. Horrible, horrible conditions. I just can't fathom. Talk about a time for people who love God to stand and make a difference! I've read blogs with people talking about the philosophical significance of such a disaster and the wealth of America. I've read people jabbering about economic policy. I feel the same way as many of my friends do who've written those posts...I just can't bring myself to even blog about it. The irony just seems too thick. Here we are blogging from our comfy chairs in our air-conditioned offices or homes, maybe eating or drinking something. It just makes me sick to my stomach. All those people starving and dying. We need to keep blogging and writing and calling people to action. BUT--we can't stop there. There needs to BE action. Thanks for the link yesterday, Jana!

THANK YOU for your prayers for Sheryl. Please continue to pray. Pray that she can come home tonight. We love you all.

13 comments:

Jenni said...

So glad to hear that the surgery went well....will keep praying for complete recovery!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about the great news of your wife. You are such an inspiration to so many of us. Your music in my ipod starts my day off the best it can. Continue the great work. You and your family are in my prayers as your wife goes forward and heals form this surgery.

Jud
(just a guy from Abilene, who went to Wylie HS and played the saxophone ... like you! haha)

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Just wamted to add my prayers of Thanksgiving that Sheryl's surgery was a success.

Jacinda said...

I'm glad the surgery went well!

Beaner said...

I've been overwhelmed by all the disaster in our world lately. Decided to read Lamentations. (There really AREN'T enough lament songs, you know?) Sometimes it's cathartic to just cry a river full of tears. Anyway....the second half of Ch. 3 in Lamentations is full of hope for those who put their hope in Him. It's good to still keep our eyes to heaven even when we're trying to bring a little bit of heaven back here.

Rick J said...

I've really empathized with you about Sheryl's surgery. Virginia has had a couple of surgeries over the years, including one when we were quite young, and I still remember how my stomach felt. It's such a helpless feeling to just have to wait. Thank God for prayer and for community.

My biggest question so far about Katrina is simply, "Why is it that churches and private agencies and individual people seem to have rallied to provide aid at least as quickly as government agencies who are set up to do that?"

Katherine said...

So glad to hear Sheryl's surgery went well and I hope she is able to return home soon.

This whole hurricane mess is simply overwhelming. I, too find myself guilty and yet overly thankful all at the same time for all that I have. I want to do something SO bad, I am jut not sure what yet...

God bless!!

Drew Battistelli said...

Praise God that Sheryl is ok!

I am sorry, but I'm using your heavily read blog for some contact useage.

I would like to let you all know what is happening here. We are 3 1/2 hours NW of New Orleans. From what I can get word about we have about 25,000 refugees, but that number is growing.

The director of the Red Cross attends the Storefront Church of Christ and we are setting up a HUGE ministry.

- Donald, the next 3 weeks ARE NOT crucial -

I have worked closely with Harding & desire to with Pepperdine, Abilene, etc. to provide relief in the shelters in our area. They are wearing out. We're hosting these people through the next 3-6 months.

So, I have set up a plan that every weekend we will have about 50 Harding Students come and work from Friday through Sunday in shifts. I don't know who to contact at Pepperdine or ACU who would be willing to work with me on this.

We can house hundreds of people in our church memebrs homes, church buildings, etc. and we have specific ministries and services they can provide.

Please email me at abattist@gmail.com

If anyone knows who to contact at ACU, Pepperdine, SWCC, Lipscomb, LCU, or other College Ministries. I'd love to help them send students here and closer. I mean we've got WAY more connections than the Red Cross director of Central Louisiana. Just please email me. I want to talk to people, we need help for the next 3 months GURANTEED. That is what we're working on RIGHT NOW!

abattist@gmail.com

CL said...

Glad to hear Sheryl's surgery went well, we will continue to pray for her.

Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding Katrina and our response to it. I can definitely feel what you are saying there, definitely. Blessings!

Lovell's Lookout said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lovell's Lookout said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lovell's Lookout said...

BST- Praise God for the Good News!!! I know that you are relieved. I am praying for Sheryl's today. Praise God for the body of Christ during these times...

Concerning Katrina: May the church exemplify being that not of talk, but of power. I pray we do not miss being Jesus NOW.

Love you a lot bro...

Dwiggy444 said...

Still praying for you and Sheryl and the family, but I know God is at work there already!!

Thank you for continuing to be a great example of Christ's love in this world - your wife is in the hospital, your kids are being shuttled from place to place and you still care about the people suffering in the wake of Katrina.

May we all have hearts so big, and may we ALL get off our chairs and out from in front of our PCs and start DOING something today.