Friday, September 16, 2005

Last week Paul Johnson brought to my attention that the front cover of our new CD looked like the statue of the robed Christ behind the St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square in New Orleans. The designer confirmed that it is that very statue. He had taken the picture while in New Orleans a couple of years ago. And--he finished the CD cover earlier this summer...before Katrina.



In the picture above you can see that only the finger was broken. The statue remained in tact. This is a shot through the fallen debris. Thank you to Paul for these pictures.






I couldn't believe the irony. WOW. It reminds me of September 11, 2001. We were preparing to present our conference titled "Deep Calls to Deep" with sort of a lament theme. We had no idea what would happen on 9/11. A lot of people were feeling the need to lament that year...for many different reasons.



The conference theme this year, In Christ Alone, will be about being a missional church. What does that look like, what does that mean? I just can't get over the irony. As we sat last Novemeber 2004 to begin plans, we all felt that burning in our hearts about a missional theme. And now, in ways we haven't seen in decades, the church is getting outside themselves and into the lives and hearts of people. It wasn't planned, it wasn't even wanted. It just happened. I'm not saying that God is responsible for Katrina by any means. But, as we all reach out and give of ourselves, we're getting a crash course in what it means to be missional. I do believe that God's hand is in that.

-------------------

Lauren Gingles....what a blessing to our family. With three kids, babysitting can be expensive. Thankfully, we have my mom and Kiki who are so great to help. But, Lauren, who is not a part of our physical family (but definitely a member of our spiritual family), calls us almost weekly to ask when she can come give us a night out. What a gift! Thank you, Lauren!! We had a great dinner last night with Geof and Amanda. We laughed and talked wedding stuff. I am going to be a groomsman. I'm really honored to stand with Geof. So, we'll be flying to TX in November to sing and participate in their great weekend.



I took this last night of Sam. He's such a little boy! (even if he is subjected to sitting in his sisters' old bouncy seat!) It's cool to see him developing and loving his sisters. Not a day goes by that I don't praise God for the gift of my children and wife.

I'll close with this great prayer by St. Augustine. (Thanks to my mom for this. She's using it in her Spiritual Formation class on Sunday mornings at Otter Creek.) There are some folks really hurting at Otter right now. This was very encouraging for them. I hope it can be for you today as well.

God of our life,

There are days when the burdens we carry chafe our shoulders and weigh us down;

When the road seems dreary and endless, the skies gray and threatening;

When our lives have no music in them, and our hearts are lonely, and our souls have lost their courage.

Flood the path with light, run our eyes to where the skies are full of promise,

Tune our hearts to brave music;

Give us the sense of comradeship with heroes and saints of every age;

And so quicken our spirits that we may be able to encourage the souls of all who journey with us on the road of life,

To your honor and glory!


St. Augustine

6 comments:

Generous Kitchen said...

Isn't God amazing?

From the planning of the Conference to the sweetness of your baby boy, all I can think to say is God is truly amazing!

Can't wait to see you.

SG said...

WOW! That picture and circumstances are just amazing. Meant to be I guess!

Val said...

So very bummed about missing the conference this year. I'll try to get tapes. Leonard Sweet is one of my favorites. When will you make it to Abilene again?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Valium--
I am coming on November 4th to judge the ACU Film Festival. I carcked up when they asked me. The other judges are Nelson Coates and Randy Brewer. Let's see...the song "one of these things is not like the other..." comes to mind. Oh well, I don't work with Spielberg. I don't produce top Christian and Country music videos. But, hey, I like to watch movies. Actually, I am really honored and excited to be a part.

Then we'll be back in February for Lectures. I think ZOE is leading worship again. Wish I could make it for Homecoming, but you'll just have to eat green eggs and ham for me.

We'll miss you in October.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

No worries, I am really ok after "carcking" up.

Deb said...

I sure do see your daddy in this sweet pic of Little Sam ... goodness!

Love ya!