Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Thanks to the “Lizard of Oz” I woke up at 6:30 this morning hearing the very strange voice of Glenda the “good witch” singing “come out, come out wherever you are and meet the young la-dy who came from a star”. What’s with her voice anyway? It’s a terrifying way to wake up.

Great, great comments yesterday. It’s so cool to know that so many people are interested in education. Both of my parents were educators. My dad was a school administrator after teaching 6th grade for several years. My mom was school librarian, then an LRC coordinator for the Abilene school district and then taught Children’s and Young Adult Literature at ACU for ten years or so. I still remember my father talking about kids and how things were different then than they ever had been. My feeling is, every generation has wondered and dealt with these types of issues. My dad was a very positive leader. His method was to help kids develop a passion for learning. He would have HATED all this test goobledy-gook. (It’s fun to take the kids to Sam Thomas Elementary when we’re in Abilene and tell them that it’s named after their “Poppy”. Some day they’ll understand more about that.) Both of my parents were very influential in the lives of children and helped to shape character and even faith…and all of that was in public schools.

Speaking of school, I almost literally ran into Amy Grant in the parking lot last week. Vince and Amy’s daughter is in school here. All her kids have gone through here. She’s such a neat woman. Have any of you seen her new show, “Three Wishes”? It’s really cool. It’s neat to see her ministering—even on prime time television. (It would have been just my luck to have a collision in our parking lot and it be with her or someone like that...but it would have made for a great story!)

I’m really excited about the conference next week. It’s so hard to believe that one week from tomorrow we’ll be getting started. I have a real sense of anticipation about it!

ZOE’s rehearsing tonight and we’re celebrating Melissa’s birthday. It’s been so fun to sing all these years with people we love. We’ve all sort of grown up together…getting married, having kids, etc. Now we’re also getting to celebrate the upcoming marriage of David’s son. I can’t imagine ministry without these folks. I love them dearly. We’re looking forward to being reunited with Peter too. He flies in from Malibu next Thursday. Cope also comes in Thursday. Can’t wait to see you, bro! Not sure yet when Walling gets in.

Here’s a schedule of events and speakers for those of you who are coming. Maybe this will help give you an idea of what to expect. Word of explanation--Discerning Communities will be assigned when you arrive (much like the Emergent Convention). Affinity Communities are comprised of those who are in similar jobs--like worship ministers, praise team, tech, Elders, children's ministers, etc.

Thursday, October 6
11:00 am – Registration Opens
1:00 pm – Worship
2:00 pm – Discerning Communities
4:00 pm – Affinity Communities
5:00 pm – Dinner Break
6:30 pm – Worship
7:00 pm – Discerning Communities
9:00 pm – Late Night Program (this is when the Otter team and band will do our thing)

Friday, October 7
8:00 am – Affinity Communities
9:15 am – Worship
10:00 am – Discerning Communities
11:30 am – Lunch Break
1:30 pm – Worship
2:15 pm – Discerning Communities
4:00 pm – Worship
4:30 pm - End

Guest Resources:
Mission - Leonard Sweet & Larry James
Kingdom - John York & Wade Hodges
Incarnation - Mike Cope & Randy Harris
Healing - LaJuana Gill & TBA

Leonard Sweet
A popular speaker, Len has written more than twenty books, including the postmodern trilogy AquaChurch, SoulTsunami, and SoulSalsa. His web-based preaching resource in partnership with Group Publishing is calledwww.PreachingPlus.com .

Larry James
Larry James is President and CEO for Central Dallas Ministries, a human and community development corporation serving inner city Dallas, Texas.

Friday, October 7

5:30 pm – Registration Opens
7:00 pm – Worship--BST and Mike Cope
9:00 pm – Late Night Program (John Chisum Concert and a taize worship experience are two of the choices)

Saturday, October 8
8:30 am – Worship--BST and Jeff Walling
10:15 am – Workshop Session I
11:30 am – Lunch Break
1:00 pm – Michael Card Performance
2:15 pm – Workshop Session II
3:45 pm – Workshop Session III
5:00 pm – Dinner Break
7:00 pm - Worship--BST and Mike Cope

Guest Resources:
Mike Cope, Abilene, TX – Jeff Walling, Charlotte, NC – Michael Card, Franklin, TN – Jill Maxwell, Abilene, TX – Donna Hester, Abilene, TX – Larry & Linda Bridgesmith, Nashville, TN – Larry James, Dallas, TX – Wade Hodges, Tulsa, OK – Randy Gill, Nashville, TN – Brandon Scott Thomas, Nashville, TN – John Chisum, Mobile, AL – Eddie Plemmons, Franklin, TN – Randy Harris – Abilene, TX – John York – Brentwood, TN – Matt Maxwell, Abilene, TX – Media Shout, Nashville, TN and many more.


Workshop Sessions:

Missional Church – Spiritual Direction – Children’s Ministry – Worship Planning – Church Leadership – Recovery Ministries – Youth Ministry – Worship Ministry – Drama Ministry – Audio and Media Ministries – Songwriting – Voice Clinics – Media Shout – Technology – Arranging Music and many more.

Have a blessed day, everyone.

9 comments:

Kelley said...

Hi Brandon. This is Kelley Smith. The photographer from Alabama that brought you the picture for Sheryl. Much to my regret, we are going to be missing our very first Zoe conference. Been with you guys from the start. I know it used to be that people could come just for the Saturday night worship session without being part of the conference. Is that still possible?
Also, your's and Mike's blog inspired me to start my own. Have a look when you get a moment. www.photopaintingsbykelley.blogspot.com
Let me know about the Saturday night Zoe worship.

Anonymous said...

Wow, my son went to kindergarten at Thomas Elementary! We LOVED the principal there (5 years ago and I can't remember his name..ugh!)! We moved that summer so we just spent a year there.
Also, don't know why I was thinking you went to Abilene Christian Schools but I see you actually went to Wylie...boo/hiss ;). I grew up in Clyde...or "poor Wylie" as many referred to us :) Loved the Friday night football games vs. yall!

Have a great conference. I would love to attend sometime and probably will with my mom. My family and I are going to start attending Providence Rd CofC where Jeff Walling ministers. Quite a drive for us several times a week but so worth it! We decided to just "bite the bullet" and enjoy the drive (if that's possible in Charlotte, NC?)!
CS

Stephen Bailey said...

Great talking to you today. Sorry we had to cut it short. Praying for you and Sheryl. Can't wait to see you next week and show off Steph's belly.

Deb said...

Brandon, I am with tears in my eyes now as memories of your dad and Judy 'swim' before me. Reading your blog and all the comments on education is something else! I feel so far removed (and am), and wishing for another time. Am sorry I will never get to attend one of your ZOE conferences. But it is so awesome for me to see what kind of man you have grown up as, and how remarkable you are with your Sheryl and the three precious ones. Reading about Sam in your last few posts, and also your mom, has meant so much to me lately.

We are so far away, but at least those sweet memories can help us connect.

Hoping Sheryl and Baby Sam are feeling better. You guys take care ... you're in my prayers. Love ya!

Fajita said...

Yo bro, you missed the most important piece of the schedule - THE BLOG MEET!!!!!!!

Bloggers meet face to face Saturday morning 7:30 AM under the tent.

This is an open "meet the face behind the blog" opportunity. Who knows, we might even discuss church, technology, and the power of blogging - or we might just eat doughnuts.

christine pinson said...

we are really looking forward to next weekend...assuming we survive the through-the-night drive with Baby Jack...yeah for our first family road trip adventure!

Beaner said...

"Mmmmm....donuts. Is there anything they CAN'T do?"

BTW - Have you heard the soundtrack for 'Wicked' yet? They picked a good Glinda voice, but thankfully not as trilly!!!

Gem said...

Oh, I can't wait! Not only am I going to my first Zoe conference, but I'm going to get to spend a little time with a friend I haven't seen since HU days!!!

SG said...

COMPLETELY GREEN WITH ENVY!!!!