Friday, September 23, 2005


Many prayers are being lifted for those in Texas and especially for those still reeling from Katrina in Louisiana. I cannot even imagine. The reports coming from Texas look very menacing.

As you may have read in the comments yesterday, Sheryl's brothers, Kevin AND Shelby, are staying in Houston with their families. We'll be anxiously awaiting news on how they are doing.

Also, Since my father was from Houston, I have many relatives there. Most of my cousins are staying put too. The lack of gasoline, the interstate parking lots and the risks of trying to get out seemed too much. We'll be praying for you guys.

I heard this morning that there's a chance that Rita could just park over East Texas and dump over 25 inches of rain. I cannot even imagine that. The weather guy said that in New Orleans, the rain had already caused Lake Pontchartrain to rise. Talk about compounding despair. We really need to be praying for them.

-------------

Usually on Sunday afternoons around nap time I hear this constant drum beat...like one might hear from a car passing when the bass is turned up really high. Eventually, I discovered that it was my neighbor who rehearses on the top floor of his house in the room that faces our bedroom. One night I had to call him about 11:45 and ask him to knock it off. I was THAT guy. I felt bad, but it was loud. And he's such a NICE guy!

Yesterday we were all out for a walk and Maddie was riding her bike and Rick was out washing his car. It was the first conversation we've had in a while. After he poured out apologies over the late night of music, we got to have a pretty cool conversation. Turns out he and his wife moved here from NYC where she was in marketing for a record label and where he used to play drums for groups like Nine Inch Nails and the RAMONES! I was impressed! (I'm not advocating the Ramones here, but still...) So THAT'S why I always think I'm hearing drums. Whew! And I thought I needed to check into Cumberland Heights or something. (Remember how they'd always start hearing drums on Gilligan's Island?) It was cool talking with him and, hopefully, building potential for some dialogue later. Cool guy.

--------------

Any suggestions for Movie night this weekend? We may resort to Charlotte's Web again since the girls have been begging for it and Sheryl never got to see it.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Many prayers are going out to those of you in the port cities of TX and LA. Please keep us updated on the state of things.

14 comments:

Craig said...

Any of the Chuckie movies are good.

Jacinda said...

We watched "The Shaggy Dog" a few weekends ago. The old one. It was great and Gracie loved it when the dog was driving the car. I'd like to find "The Shaggy D.A." Good Classic Disney movie.

We check out movies from the library alot (good free entertainment!) and I told her we'd go after school today. I think we may get "The Love Bug." Again, the old one. Those are also great and I think she'd get a kick out of them. We checked out "The Apple Dumpling Gang" but haven't finished it yet.

SG said...

If you can find it, Kolby fell in love with old movie "Savanna Smiles" when she the same age as Maddie. We are harboring friends from Houston right now. It's been fun for us even though this storm looks awful.

Blogger won't let me post!

julie said...

Have your girls seen Sarah Plain and Tall. It is a Hallmark movie, I think and if I remember right Glenn Close plays Sarah. Your girls will like it and so will the rest of you. Kind of Little House on the Prairie-ish but deeper and very rich dialogue and starts great conversation about family and what makes us feel comfortable with each other.

Matt Elliott said...

What -- you gotta problem with the Ramones? I was gonna suggest "I Wanna Be Sedated" for the next Zoe CD!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

don't tempt me, Matt. There are few other jewels I might like to do as well. But that's nother blog for a day when I feel like getting fired. :)

Anonymous said...

So you are comfortable endorsing NiN but not the Ramones?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Hilarious. Part of me doesn't even want to answer that but make you sweat it out. No. In fact, I can not stand NiN. But that's just me. However, I do endorse 100% whole grain wheat thins. it has 0g of transfat. Oh...and I endorse Doritos.

Peggy N Texas said...

Well, Houston is looking pretty good right now for Rita's visit.

However, Beaumont seems to be in the path of Rita. We evacuated yesterday and now are watching and waiting.

Thanks for the prayers as we do not know what we will find when we get to go home.

This is a first for us. We have lived in Beaumont for 30 years and have had scares and even stayed home for Bonnie in the 80's. That is when we knew we would leave for most all hurricanes. So thanks for prayers for courage, wisdom and steadfast faith!

Peggy

Beaner said...

Have you tried the new Sundried Tomato & Basil Wheat Thins??? YUM!!!

Have your kids seen 'Wizard of Oz' yet? My kids love it.

If I remember correctly (and I'm embarrased that I know this) I believe a line in a NiN song went something like "I'll bring you closer to God" - Of course the preceeding lyrics would make you puke, but maybe you can work with it!

Anonymous said...

It's never too early to introduce the girls (and Sam) to some of the great old musicals. Ask Katey about "Brigadoon," "Oklahoma," "The Sound of Music," "State Fair," and the list goes on and on. Molly asked to watch "The Sound of Music" just tonight!

amanda said...

i feel like i just stepped into a time warp reading the kid movie comments! gotta love Herbie and the Apple Dumpling Gang! Do they still have TRON on Beta???
i just recently read 'charlotte's web' for the very first time. how i missed that one in my 29 years i have no clue. but i loved it anyway!

Anonymous said...

Sheena is a punk rocker now.

Daren

Anonymous said...

so what's wrong with nin?