Sunday, September 11, 2005



We had fun at the Greek Festival yesterday...even if it felt like it was 102 degrees. We normally go at night, but decided to try the day time when the crowd would be a little less. Now I know why there's such a crowd at night! It's cool enough to enjoy yourself. Here's Maddie enjoying a ride on "Lady Bug".



Ella also had fun riding "Dusty". They were so excited about the ponies. I got to tell them about my pony growing up, "Tiger" (OK--so I had animal confusion). After watching Charlotte's Web I also got to tell them about my pig, Wilbur, and show them pictures. One day I'll post that picture, but it's in the embarrassing category of my time performing for Norwegian--and maybe worse.




Adrian and Shelly Church went with us and reluctantly allowed me to snap this picture of them inside the Greek Orthodox sanctuary. I'm so glad they live here now.





One of the highlights of the Greek Festival is always watching the dancers. Maddie and Ella loved it. Maddie would not go dance with them but later imitated everything she saw them do.


This morning is the anniversary of 9/11. We're also all still feeling the effects of Katrina. So, we're going to talk about storms this morning. The storm of life. There are many lives experiencing terrorism of the soul and winds blowing against their marriage and their very will to go on. Sometimes it's good to stop and acknowledge our desperate need for Jesus. As the Psalmist said, "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

May your day be blessed as you remember the love and gift of Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon, the Greek festival wasn't too crowded Sat. night, and it was just the right temperature (I'm sure those ponies smelled great with the heat!). Christy and I thought of you guys and wished we could have been with you!

We watched the older dancers, which I guess were all high schoolers. It was so neat to watch the seniors do their dance together - you could tell it was something they did all their lives and grew up together doing, and this festival was their last hurrah and a time to celebrate their community. I thought a lot of our kids at OC and how I look forward to watching them grow together.

Love you guys. I think Christy and Sheryl had a good time with the girls Friday night!

Malia said...

the best thing about the Greek festival is buying baklava and then having it for breakfast the next morning! yum!!

Stephen Bailey said...

In my opinion, the best thing about the Greek festival is that it might inspire you to post the infamous pig pictures. Much time has past...it's time to post.