Tuesday, February 08, 2005

We're working on the 2005 ZOE Conference. As you've read in my blog, the recording is already underway...at least rehearsals for it. Michael Card has agreed to join us and do a concert on Saturday afternoon as well as teach a couple of classes. That should be cool. The other main speaker(s) for the leadership conference are TBA. :)

I've been thinking a lot about Church lately. It seems to me that sometimes in our deconstruction or construction--wherever you are--that we often lose the true sense of who we're supposed to be. Take for instance our families...all of us have crazy relatives. Some of our families are more dysfunctional than others. Sometimes we go to counseling or do radical things to bring our family together or bring healing. But, more often than not, we live with the reality that they ARE our family. When Uncle Billy Bob says or does something completely stupid we don't have the option of running down the street to the Smith family and knocking on their door and asking if we can join their family. We know in our heart of hearts that this group of people is our family and we're stuck with them for better or worse.

Now, this metaphor could be taken as a prescription by me to never change churches. Actually, sometimes I think that's the healthiest thing one could do if there's conflict...especially if you're the one causing conflict. I guess my thought is that while we really do have options with regard to the Church, we often use that as a crutch or abuse it. The beauty of family is that there is something holding you together in troublesome times. Sometimes it's the pain of being together that's the hardest thing to bear. But in churches we often reserve the right to bolt when it no longer satisfies our needs or meets our expectation. (I am thinking about the first chapter of Dan Kimball's book, Emerging Worship--pg 2-3.) How many of us have had things arise at home or in our extended family that made us want to bolt? Why didn't you? What kept you there? What made it better?

Just a thought today.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

From my (very limited) experience, I think that "church" is a relationship like any other. The more you have invested, the less likely you will be able to walk away, even when times get hard. I spent the first 2/3 of my life so far without really having a church family, and now that I do, I know I will work to maintain that. Admittedly, I haven't yet had any real struggles, so I can only speculate. But I think once you get involved, really deeply entwined with your brothers and sisters, you want to stay and make things better, not leave when they get hard.

Fajita said...

BST,

Let's be honest! OK? When you're talking about "crazy relatives," why don't you just go ahead say it's me? Who are you trying to fool?

Good post. Relevant. Challegning.

Has Doug Pagitt shown up on the speaker radar? I think he might be a good one if you can lasso him.

Stephen Bailey said...

BST, Don't get me started!

SAB

k2 said...

rock on! preach it!

amen.

i want to be able to worship the way i want to and not feel that i am offending anybody. i have found that church in mobile. CL has made me and my family feel welcome. so has the rest of port city.

Rick J said...

I love worshipping and working alongside a church family who speaks my language and understands the way I think at least part of the time. But... I am also challenged and sharpened by diversity in those areas. One refreshing thing about being in northern CA instead of Houston is that you can't just go down the street to try out a different "church flavor" if you are a bit put out with your family... at least if you want to stick with c of c. As a result, churches here have the potential of a little more family diversity... and a real need to work out issues instead of just leaving. After, all we are family, right!?!

Val said...

True dat, BST! Even at Highland I sometimes get annoyed with some stupid little thing or another now and then. But the fact is, it's not about me anyway and there's room at the table for many. "One heart, one Spirit, One voice to praise you..." I think you know the rest.