Thursday, February 10, 2005



Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't. When you're me...it's usually the former. Someone stuck this picture on my door from Camp last year and it made me laugh. The picture says it all.

There is much to blog about today. Some of you might want to tune out a little later in the blog. First, I wanted to mention something about Ash Wednesday. Last night at the Emergent service they celebrated Ash Wednesday. People put ash on their foreheads and everything. The stations were really, really cool. Great night all the way around. The ZOE rehearsal went well too.

A few years back I went to the Grammy's in NYC. I am a voting member, but that year I went with a good friend (who was a groomsman in our wedding), Jeff Gregg. Jeff is an agent for the Creative Artist Agency and is in charge of Christian acts and country acts and was able to get us better seats. Turns out, the president of Reunion Records ended up sick so we got to use his tickets which also came with a pass to the after Grammy party--that's a whole different blog full of nuggets. (At one point I pulled a complete BST in talking to a woman Jeff kept referring to as "Bob's wife". Finally, I said..."Ya got a last name, Bob's wife??" She politely answered, "Carlisle.")

Back to the point--we landed in NYC that Wednesday and I swear I thought I was in the twilight zone. All these people were walking around with weird smudge marks on their foreheads and seemed completely oblivious. I really thought we'd been abducted by aliens or something. Finally, in the elevator of our hotel, I asked this woman standing next to us dressed in a beautiful fur coat if she knew there was something on her forehead. She looked at me with a priceless expression and told me it was ash. DUH!! I had never-EVER seen that. Who knew? I had to think of that as people were leaving with ash on their foreheads last night. It is really a great reminder of what Jesus did for us.

OK--I need to just vent for a moment. I am so sorry to subject you to my venting lately and thought about not saying anything, but it made me hotter to think of NOT saying anything. Last night we watched "Wife Swap". It's interesting, if you've never tuned in. Last night they swapped this very "conservative, wealthy, Christian, Republican" woman with a "liberal" woman living with her lesbian partner. (Is this sweeps week or something??) The program began by showing the Christian woman praying with her family, reading the Bible, talking about respecting people and treating people with kindness, etc. You all know where this is going. The short of it is...they swapped and the "liberal" woman seemed to care about the Christian family--in spite of their differences. She seemed unassuming and very friendly and helped the family enjoy each other and laugh a little. Meanwhile, the "Christian" woman came in like a bull in a china closet. She was nice at first, but then took full advantage of the "rules change" to order them around and completely overwhelm them with her self righteous attitude. Sheryl and I kept cringing. Finally, in the end when the couples all met, the Christian woman went off on the lesbian couple calling them freaky and depraved, saying they are only shacking up, that they didn't constitute a family unit, and that the woman who had traded with her not only "Brought nothing worthwhile to our family" but that she was immoral for even coming into their house where there was a teenaged girl (suggesting that she might sexually abuse her or something).

At this point some of you are wondering where I am going with this. Maybe I should leave it hanging. I am reminded of the famous Tony Compollo story where he was speaking to a large group of Christians saying something like..."Most of the world is dying from starvation and disease and you all don't give a sh*t" Then he said, "And besides that, most of you are more concerned with the fact that I just said sh*t than the statistic".

In Sheryl's and my opinion, what happened last night on national TV was an embarrassment to everyone who follows Jesus. She was more concerned with her own self-righteousness than loving those people. She had way more fun wagging her finger than serving them. She kept referring to the word of God and what it said about them. Nevermind that she had just bragged about her own wealth and loving the 9 carrot diamond on her finger. She informed them that they were depraved and going to hell. Maybe they are. But, she should go on a serious camel-style diet if she's planning to fit through the eye of a needle.

My mom has this really cool lamp in her living room. It's very ornate with these wooden squares that have a design on each square and then are connected with wire to made a really cool lamp shade. It looked awesome in the store...very beautiful and put together--even ornate. Trouble is, we got it home and the thing doesn't give off much light. It was a great idea someone had. Just not practical. The little squares are all so tightly woven together that the purpose of the lamp seems to have been overridden. Even at night, it puts out little to no usable light. Hmmmm. I wonder how many of us are like that lamp?

I am not making any statements in support of their lifestyle or living situation, but when true colors were revealed last night, the one claiming Jesus revealed a very ugly pattern of self-righteous, mean spirited colors. Hollywood loves to portray us that way. Trouble is, they're more right about us than we'd like to admit.

Look for people in your path today who need the love of Christ--the LOVE of Christ. Think about how scandalous it was for Jesus to spend time with some of the prostitutes, tax collectors, etc. How can we put that love into action today? How can we be a light that makes a difference--not just a useless ornamental lamp that gives off little to no light?

19 comments:

Craig said...

Preach on. Love and Grace, I wish Christian would be known for that. I watched a couple of minutes of that last night and could not take it anymore.

Jason Retherford said...

BST,

Goos stuff today. Thanks for venting about that whole wife swaf thing. The world needs us to be what Christ has called us to be, not self-righteous finger pointing jerks. Thanks for sharing.

Phil said...

Wait, wait, wait. You're saying that we need to love people where they are and allow God to work on them?

You mean people appreciate and respond to love and don't like it when people yell judgements at them?

You mean to tell me that the people that Jesus got the most angry with were the religious people who were judging other people based on their standards?

Boy, I'm glad I don't know anyone like that.

(This message brought to you by sarcasm)

Thurman8er said...

Yeah, I watched the first few minutes of that last night too and switched off when the little girl was praying for their "physical prosperity." I realized two things...1: this may not be the family I want the world to see reflect true Christianity...and 2: this show is going to be edited to make them look their worst.

You've hit the nail on the head with the woman's attitude though. And described grace to a "T". I read a great quote yesterday: "If the world could have been saved by good bookkeeping, it would have been saved by Moses, not Jesus."

Stephen Bailey said...

THAT'S WHAT WIFE SWAP IS? I have not been watching because I thought it was...well... something else. I'm a little skiddish since going to that swingers club dressed in my zoot suit and ready to dance. Those people were into a whole different kind of swinging I tell ya'!

Seriously, you are so right and it is so frustrating, embarrassing and, let's be honest, CONVICTING to see stuff like that. We read the Bible and cast ourselves in the role of the Jesus followers instead of confessing that we are the religious Pharisee's. Until we admit that, we won't change.

Thanks for your heart my friend.

SAB

Sarah S. said...

I haven't watched Wife Swap. Reading what you said about last nights episode made me cringe. I know people who are not Christians for some of the exact reasons you mentioned. She was only one person, and I hope people don't judge all Christians by the way she acted. Unfortunatly I'm sure some will use it to fuel their thoughts on us.
On another note, it's a small world. Jeff Gregg lives across the street from my Grandparents.

Steven J Bruce said...

great blog! I am just waiting for someone to do a positive portrayal of the christian faith on a reality show. So far, the best I've seen is MC Hammer on the Surreal Life. (OK, it's now out in the open...yes, I've watched the Surreal Life :-)

Brian said...

Brandon,
thanks for your comments on the Wife Swap.
Coming from the perspective of a "used to be christian" it was nice to read, especially after getting a great hate comment on my blog from an un-known chruch of christ preacher yesterday.

SG said...

Hi it's me, the shallow commenter!
A few years back (ok 8 or 9) I was working the New York Auto Show. Early on morning a salesman had a huge smudge on his forehead. I actually laughed when I saw it thinking he was trying to be funny. When I realized he wasn't, I ever so sweetly said, "Sir you have something on your forehead."
He looked at me like I was some Loony and said something to the affect of "Are you really a blond or just protestant?" I still didn't get it.
I gave a nervous "I have no idea what that meant but I'll give you a courtesy laugh and walk off" giggle.
A few minutes later my co-worker walked in with the same smudge. She saw me staring and said "Are there no Catholics in Texas?" Thing is I think there are lots of Catholics in Texas. Some of my best friends and all my in-laws to name a few but I had never seen that before. I felt so ignorant! Glad to know I am not the only one who ever had a freaky NYC Ash Wednesday! :)

Fajita said...

There now, you went and did it. You cussed. Oh sure there was * in it and you quoted a famous Christian cusser, but you did it. Now all of your problems will be solved.

Oh, good post.

Danny Sims said...

Glad I didn’t watch Wife Swap (Jesus naturally attracts sinners where the institutional church naturally repels them)... Did you know the ashes come form the previous year’s palm branches used on Palm Sunday? Nice blog... Check out my TNIV blog post and let me know what you think... I love the three dots...

Danny Sims said...

I meant the ashes come 'from,' not 'form.' I can't type.

JamesG3 said...

My wife and I were really shocked at how the 'christian' from Texas blew a cog at the end. Really, really, really sad. Do you think the two ladies will ever be receptive to God's grace when His people come across like that? It broke our hearts.

Anonymous said...

Here's a thought, what if they already have acepted Gods grace and are living under grace? I happen to know that family goes to church every week! And its (gasp) a spirit filled and bible based one!
But to answer your question.. no they most certainly WON'T be receptive to God's grace in the way that you meant it here.

Dwiggy444 said...

Great thoughts Brandon. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be any better than that woman from Texas. Sure, I know I'm supposed to love my neighbor as myself, and I know that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, but putting that knowledge into action is SOOOO hard.

Perhaps I'll be praying for that woman today, and for all of us believers, that we'll make every effort to break the stereotypes that the world has come to know about Christians and instead follow the plan that Jesus had for us -

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (see this in context)

PS - I just finished posting about "Love in Action" on my blog and then I cruised over here and...whoa. The Spirit must be moving...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm--that could have been filmed right here in old Abilene town. And on another note--why are the Christians always the "conservative Republicans"? Unfortunately, I choose to remain anonymous so I won't get tarred (sp?) and feathered.

Robyn said...

Dear Anon,

Abilene can be harsh, but I am encouraged as of late. Did you attend the Abilene Dinner Table last month? I was inspired by the participants and exchanges that occurred by breaking bread together. Keep your eyes open for the next opprotunity. I hope you will attend. Blessings! Robyn

Candy said...

BST - I coudn't agree more. I watched the show too and couldn't help but cringe through it all. I kept asking myself if Jesus would act like this - treat this woman and her daughter this way? I kept getting a resounding "NO!!" The way I saw it the "liberal" woman brought a joy into the "conservative" household that previously didn't exist. Could that have been the joy of Jesus? I read an interview with her partner and, sure enough, they are Christians! Go figure. I'm always telling my son (13) that God wants us to have joy! Following Him should not look dreary and, well, like the "traditional Christian family" portrayed on Wife Swap. That woman's light wasn't dimmed, it wasn't even turned on. God, help me to be Your light. Help me to spread the joy of Jesus to the world, my little bit of world, today.

Katherine said...

It's funny because I don't usually watch that show, but somehow it was on my TV last night, and I couldn't believe it when the lady started laying into her about how God frowns on their lifestyle, when she had barely even been in their house for a day!!

When sinners and tax collecters welcomed Jesus into their house, I don't remember him yelling at them about how they are going to hell!

He loved them right where they are...and so should we...