Saturday, June 12, 2004

Whew! What a weekend! We have been working really hard. We got a record 6 songs done this weekend. It has been very God inspired. I am excited about this project. The sound is very different and I have really enjoyed singing all these songs. I think our recording list is finally complete. Here's the tentative rundown...

--Blessed Be The Name of the Lord (Tree63)
--Hear Our Praises (Hillsongs)
--All Who Are Thirsty
--For All You've Done (O Cleanser...)
--Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy/ I Need Thee Every Hour
--Blessed Jesus
--So Are You To Me (East Mountain South)
--Still (Rueben Morgan) THANKS, RUSS!!
--Forever (Chris Tomlin)
--We Crown You With Adoration
--Your Grace Still Amazes Me
--Who Am I (Casting Crowns)
--Lord Have Mercy


That's it! We still have 3 songs left to record. But we'll do that in two weeks. Pete is going to sing "Who Am I" and I am really thrilled about how he sounds on it. Sheryl, Karin and JV are singing the East Mountain South song. Have you guys heard that CD? Unbelievable! I love it!!

Overall, a very productive weekend. We aren't recording tomorrow after all, thank the Lord! I missed my kids so much today. It was fun to come home and see them. We are grateful for people like Sheryl's cousin Kim, and our friends, Karin Speake and Lea Brown, for watching the girls this weekend.

Tonight my mind goes to Mike Cope for several reasons. Matt got married today. I know this has been extremely emotional for him. I've been thinking about them all day, wishing we could be home for the wedding.

The other reason he comes to mind is because he warned me that allowing comments would be a risky move. Clearly, based on the posted comment yesterday, he was right. However, I pray that we would continue to encourage each other to embrace what God has done and is doing in our world. These are exciting times. The movement of God's Spirit is evident. It encourages me and impacts me in ways that far outshine the sticks that will inevitably be thrown by those who disagree. I understand though. There are things out there that bother me too. It's good to allow space for conversation and debate...so long as it leads somewhere. Frankly, I'd rather spend my time and energy reaching out to a culture who desires to see Jesus in action instead of debating whether we should clap hands in worship or not.

I just earnestly pray that one day we will move beyond these surface debates and move on to being the radical disciples we've been called to be. The trick lies in perception. There are many who might define discipleship as getting all the rules right (never mind that many of the rules are made by man). To many others, discipleship is something much deeper. It is worship in daily life. It is the earnest struggle to be salt and light in a world that desperately needs Jesus, whether they realize it or not. It is walking in the confidence that God is alive and active in our lives and in our world. Sometimes the two meet. But, it makes me sad that there are those who waste so much time, not only on their own legalism, but policing the "brotherhood".

Some of you might be shocked at those words. I honestly don't mean them to be mean spirited. I pray that we will enjoy a greater sense of unity in the days to come so that we can win more souls to Christ. There are so many people searching. Don't we have better things to do than argue with each other? Let's get off our cans and do something.

Lord, help me to put my money where my mouth is!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it not funny, that people want to engage in UNAUTHORIZED (which Nadab and Abihu were killed for) acts of worship, and yet will not defend them? My offer still stands to you, and anyone else that will take on the challenge. E-mail me, johnpaullewis@6megs.com Make the subject something that will catch my eye so I don't throw it away. God Bless you in your upcoming recording. I am sure if it is like any other of ZOE's it will be great.

Tim Castle said...

Hey, Brandon. I'm glad the recording went so well. I prayed for you guys several times during the last couple of days, and I'm sure lots of other folks have been, too.

And a loud "AMEN!" with regard to your response to Bro. Lewis' comments. Jesus DIDN'T say, "Here's how people will know you are my disciples: You follow a correct order of service on Sunday mornings, and criticize people who do worship assemblies wrong." No, Jesus said that the defining mark of His believers was love for each other -- not what kind of schedule we use for an hour or so on Sunday mornings.

I know you know that. I just want to encourage you to keep working toward the radical discipleship you mentioned, and to keep leading others the same direction.

Unknown said...

I'll be out of town for the next two weeks. I will try to be kept up to date on the postings, and respond to them when I return.
God Bless you all.

CL said...

Brandon,

Brother thank you so much for the leadership that you and the other leaders at OC have shown so many of us. I thank God for our family at OC and the ZOE ministry, ultimately for many things, but mainly for not being afraid to be radical and different. Not for being different to be different, but for being different and following a path that I believe Jesus would personally lead us down. God bless you!
Father, thank you so much for Brandon and the love and spirit which exsists through the OC leadership. Thank you for helping them bless the lives of those facing similar battles and being an encouragement to those who so desperately need it. May we all give our every day to blessing your name, we love you.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Thanks, chris! What an encouragement! Too busy today having fun with the kids to blog...more tomorrow. :)