Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Last night we had another great dinner. What made it stand out wasn't so much that the food was great (I cooked). It was more who was there and the type of food we had. Growing up my parents used to make nachos with chips, grated cheese, fresh tomatoes, and sweet banana peppers from our garden. I loved it! Sheryl and I began a tradition of having "Saturday nachos" for lunch early in our marriage. It's easy to make and something I can usually do without ruining the meal. So--last night we had our "Saturday nachos" and for dessert we had the awesome home-made orange-pineapple ice cream.

The best part of it was the company. Juliet Bridgesmith and her daughters, Tess and Meg, shared a meal and some play time with us. Juliet is married to Lance (son of Larry and Linda who many of you know). Lance was a good friend at ACU as was Juliet. But, my friendship with Juliet goes back before we were even born. Our moms have known each other since ACU days--way back! It's fun to have friendships that go on and on. Their Tess and our Maddie have a sweet friendship.

The Won by One group from Pepperdine is here tonight. They will be singing and sharing with us. It's a little break from the norm of our Retreat to the Creek thing, but it will be a great night.

Talking about food up there reminds me of how much smells and tastes can trigger memories. For instance, Monday I was lathering Maddie with sunscreen at the pool and the smell of this particular brand took me immediately back to summers spent in New Braunfels, TX floating down the river and going down the "chute". Many of my favorite growing up times were spent there with dear friends. Eating those nachos last night made me feel like I was sitting in our dining room on a hot summer day in the country outside of Abilene, TX. hearing the windchimes blow outside.

I love the summer. I have always loved summer. What a rude awakening it was to me about 12 years ago when I graduated from college to realize that in the working world the only distinction between summer and the other seasons was the temperature. Maybe that's why I decided to go work for the Norwegian Cruise Line for a year. I find myself still taunted by the thrill of lazy summer days. Going to the pool, riding in a boat, water skiing, eating that awesome flavored shaved ice you could get off Judge Ely Blvd in Abilene--such temptations! My dad was a school principal and in those days, even principals had at least a month off in the summer. I loved our trips to New Braunfels. I enjoyed going to see my aunt Ruby and uncle Ralph in a small town near Waco where my father was raised...hearing endless ghost stories and urban legends. I loved the road trips in our hopelessly small Subaru having to endure my father driving WHILE PLAYING THE HARMONICA. How I wanted to chunk that thing out the window!

Summer is a time for making memories. Our kids should see us relaxing and having fun. They should remember things like we do. We need to learn the discipline of play. I want them to remember me being crazy at the zoo or sliding perilously down the Slip N Slide. Summer is a time for letting things go and being a little more relaxed. It's a time for making sure we soak in all of God's creation. Nashville may not be the Caribbean, but I'll take my life here with my 3 girls over life on the ship any ol day! (Besides, I don't have to wear sequins here...and on that note, I'll close)

7 comments:

Jenni said...

A guy I work with plays the harmonica in a band and uses his hour-each way commute to practice...so if you are ever driving on I-20 from Ft. Worth to Dallas during rush hour, don't be surprised if you look over and see a guy playing harmonica and driving - at high speeds, in traffic!

John Owens said...

Man, you sure do eat alot. Can I come over? :) Your meals sound great. I'm a bachelor so it's always my turn to cook. Also, your sequins line really humored and frightened me all at once. I'm a cool weather, football, and changing leaves guy. But blessings to you this summer.

judy thomas said...

What I wouldn't give for those summer days back again--even if I did almost drown at New Braunfels.

I thought you looked good in sequins myself. Love Mom

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Didn't you also sing at Six Flags over Texas one summer? I thought I remember something about that. Something in the country and western section??? Love the food stories - keep 'em coming !

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Stay tuned for the Paul Harvey Rest of the Story tomorrow on sequins!

Anonymous said...

Sequins, huh? Is that why you wear shiny shirts to lead worship?

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer. The sequins reference is painting a thousand pictures... But I think to do your blogger audience justice you should post a picture from your time on the high seas, bedazzled as you were! AND if you are going to make our mouths water... a recipe would be nice. :) By the by, I needed the reminder about the fun summer memories of childhood. I don't want all my kid's summers to be Disney-channel-in-PJs-until-noon while Mommy works on the computer! (Such work- blog surfing) Memories are such a deep part of who we are. My memories of the church of my childhood have formed more of my view of God and the Bible than my four years of Bible at ACU and countless sermons. Childhood is powerful and fleeting!