Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I am sitting at my desk. To my right is a stuffed bunny--of the "Peter Rabbit" variety. If this were LOST right now, there'd be some cool underscoring of music and I'd be flashing back in time a couple of weeks.

It had been a really, REALLY awful couple of days. Details aren't necessary. Just trust me in saying that Satan was really finding joy in my brokenness. After a long day, it was time for Sheryl and me to put the kids into bed. As is our routine, we took turns laying on the girls' beds and as I settled into Ella's bed she asked me how I was doing. Kids are very perceptive.

I told her, "I'm kind of having a hard time today, honey."

She replied, "I know, daddy. I can tell," and gave me a big hug. Then, Ella reached over next to her pillow and picked up her Peter Rabbit and kissed it. She handed it to me and said, "Daddy, I want you to have this. You can keep it for as long as you need to. You can even sleep with it."

I had tears streaming down my face. Ella is a very loving child. But, this felt more like the hand of God through Ella. I took the bunny. I sat it on our bed and felt the comfort, the power, and the absolute beauty of a child-like heart of compassion.

The next day I tucked "Peter" into my computer bag...Ella checked just to make sure... and carried him to the office where he sits on my desk as a reminder of God's mercy in my life.

As I have contemplated God's presence this afternoon, I have been comforted by these words of Jesus: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

God reminds me...He's near.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brandon! I needed to hear that as well having been through my own dark days. Amazing how God touched you through your daughter, but He carries the touch even further! Take care, Mike - Rowlett, TX

Kyler Erwin said...

I love you brother. I'm praying for you. I can't wait to see you. Stay strong. God will take care of you. You're right he is near.

believingthomas said...

that's a great post. I don't care what anybody says. And if they make fun of your bunny, I've got your back.

Elizabeth S said...

Isn't amazing the lessons God teaches us through our kids? Blessings.

Val said...

Yeah. I get it that He's near, but sometimes He is hiding really really well. It's been like that lately for me, too.

Unknown said...

Brandon,
Thanks for the reminder we all need that. Now " May the Lord bless you and keep you. May he make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you. And may the LORD give you HIS Peace."

Jenni said...

oh my. so sweet. I'm sitting here reading with tears streaming down my face....wishing that I felt God that near to me. hurting and yet hoping.

Owen B. said...

Holy moments, those.

Many, many prayers for you, my friend.

Mark Lowenstein said...

You're in my prayers, bro.. Surely, Zoe will uplift you and the rest of us into God's heavenly throne room and forget all the burdens we're having. Remember Mt. 6:33 and 11:28-30, bro! Wished Zoe was everyday like the good ole days Christian had in Acts 2:42-47!

Lastly, I feel for you, too, as I am burdened in many ways!

Jacinda said...

This was a post I needed to read today. Children can really help us when we need it!

Steven J Bruce said...

I'm continually in awe of how God uses our children to teach, mold, and hold us. What a blessing! Make a hard copy of this blog entry; in case the internet ever blows us, you'll want a copy of this to share with Ella when she's 16 :-)

Unknown said...

sweet, so precious--you are doing the right thing!

bless you,

Christy said...

I'm so glad that Ella was the hand of God for you...you have such sweet kids. I hope you are feeling that comfort even now. God bless you friend

Simpsongirl said...

Brandon,

I don't usually leave comments, although I enjoy your blog very much. This really touched me today. You have such a perceptive heart in knowing that God gave you that special moment so you would know he loves you. I truly believe we get little glimpses of heaven through our little children. "For the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." :-)

God bless you and sustain you. And restore your joy. See you in a couple of weeks, brother!

And, thank you for taking the time to share your blog with all of us.