Friday, January 25, 2013

The Abolitionists




I recently finished the PBS mini-series "The Abolitionists". It is really great. I often feel astounded that people who were Jesus followers could have turned a blind eye to and even participated in the appalling practice of slavery. It makes me wonder what things I might be blind to...and it makes me want to lean even more into the mind of Christ over my own thinking because I know none of us are immune to being deceived.

I'm so thankful for courageous men and women like Frederick Douglass, Rosa Parks, MLK Jr. and others who bravely followed their heart and listened to the Spirit's voice of freedom to make this country better and brighter. I love this famous quote by Douglass: "I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong."

Here's a link to the PBS series...I highly recommend it.


May God lead us in His way by the power of His Spirit!

No comments: