Wednesday, March 02, 2005

First off this morning- I've added a link for those of you who want to keep up on the progress of sweet little Thomas Griffith who is still in the hospital. He is undergoing surgery today. Click the link or click here: UPDATES ON THOMAS GRIFFITH. Please keep him in your prayers and Jonathan. He continues to struggle.

You know, this blog thing is really so cool. I've thought that before, but have been reminded of it even more over the last two weeks. Every day the Shaubs are posting a couple of times and there are usually 40-50 comments from people encouraging them and praying for them. What a fantastic way to communicate love and support--especially when they are tired of talking on the phone. I'd recommend doing that if there's a family in your church in a similar situation. Help them start a blog and let the church know. With both the Shaubs and Griffiths it's been a great way for our people to remain in the loop and support them. Even though you don't know these people, read the comments. They'll bless you.

Big news! I wanted to wait a few days so they'd have a chance to send out their mass email, but Jason and Alisha are engaged!! Sorry ladies. Many of you--especially the 10 and under set--are probably saddened to hear this. Jason has a way with the ladies. And kids LOVE him. He'll be a great husband and father. Alisha is wonderful too. We're so thrilled to welcome her into our little ZOE family! Congratulations, guys!


Last night Sheryl cut up some strawberries and bananas for dessert. I whipped some cream and we sat down to eat. Maddie was eating her whipped cream and leaned over and whispered,"Daddy, we're eating clouds!" It was so cute. Sometimes at night I tell her the stories my father told me about a make believe playground where everything is made out of treats. And, of course, the clouds are whipped cream! The water fountain sprays chocolate milk or lemonade, depending on the day. You get the idea. Can we go??

Great comments yesterday. I loved reading them. So many wonderful stories behind those. How about some contemporary praise songs? What songs have become special to you and why?

I know for me, Blessed Be Your Name will forever be associated with the Desperate Conference this year and then with the tragedy in Abilene. Had It Not Been the Lord remains my personal anthem. No song describes the low times in my life any better. Arms of Love will always remind me of a story a friend told us at the conference that year (like 5 years ago or so). She had a miscarriage very late in her term. She listened to that song over and over while laying in her hospital bed. Stories like that are so compelling. They remind me that the Spirit of God works through these songs in ways we NEVER could. Sometimes music can be the hands and arms of Jesus holding us. Sometimes it's His face we see. Sometimes it takes us to a quiet garden where we can be ministered to in ways that are immeasurable.

Thank you, Lord, for music. Thank you for putting it in our souls and communicating your love to us through song. May we hear your voice singing over us today!
Zeph. 3:17

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea to do a blog for folks dealing with illness. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in September and I started Ivy's Army - a blog for her http://robstill.typepad.com/ivy/. This gives the prayer wazrriors a place to get updates and we don't have to "spam" emails to everyone we know all about every little thing...

BTW , thanks for your comments on my worhsip leader blog. Blessings, rob

Donna G said...

"Who am I" speaks to the dark places in my soul when I start to doubt myself.

"For All You've Done" will always take me back to the Desperate Conference in Nashville. It can still evoke the same feelings of deep spiritual emotion from that weekend.

Thurman8er said...

Last year I was sponsored to go on a "Walk to Emmaus." If you don't know what that is and somebody you trust asks you to go someday...GO! Not only did I feel the love of Jesus like I have never felt it before, but the feeling hasn't gone away a year later. Usually these special weekends are mountaintop experiences but, in this case, I got to build a home up on the mountain and stay there! Our theme that weekend was "Amazing Love (You Are My King)" I can listen to it over and over and never get enough.

Tiffany said...

Brandon, I told you this when we sang it in church a few weeks ago, but for the record: "Here in This Place" always reminds me of God's power to comfort. My second year of law school at Pepperdine, my grandfather died - right in the middle of finals and the lectures. I couldn't get home right away, and it meant worlds to me to have the Zoe family near. We sang that song the first night, and I felt His presence around me through all of the people who loved me, and I knew I was connected through that love to my family in Nashville, and even to my grandfather, finally at home with God. Whenever I sing it now, I envision all of the people around the world "In This Place" with me and God.

MichaelPolutta said...

"Blessed Be Your Name" - I aspire to such faith.

"Healing Grace" - because I need it so desperately.

Michael

k2 said...

"blessed be your name", "Holy is the Lord", "if we are the Body", "who am i", there are a lot more, but my little brain can't remember the titles.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon, thank you for leading us not just in worship, but in encouraging others in love, faith, prayer, and humility. Thank you for being a good steward of your gifts. You remind us to let our light shine before others so that it's the Lord's reflection we see, not our own.
When Kevin and I lost our newborn son, Luke, the hardest place for us to be was in worship. The songs we loved the most, we couldn't sing. The words were trapped inside hearts so wounded that only God's grace could restore them again. Satan worked very hard to rob us of the most intimate time with our Saviour when we absolutely needed Him most. We were so overwhelmed by our loss, that we were terrified to worship, afraid that we would fall apart in the Lord's presence exposing our grief, anger, agony, and utter helplessness to get through this on our own. And then we heard,"lay your burden down, every care you carry, and come to the table of grace, for there is mercy". God used "Here in This Place" and many other songs of worship to change our hearts. Worship became a safe and sacred place for us to cry out to Him and He would answer us in a song, a scripture, a word of encouragement, fellowship with other believers, and in Communion with Him.
So, all that to say, when you find yourself in worship and you can't sing the words to "This Is How We Overcome", be patient, and wait on the Lord, give everything over to Him and allow others to minister to you. Abandon yourself before Him and remember "nothing can separate you from the love of God".
"He has turned my mourning into dancing, He has turned my sorrow into joy..."

Clarissa said...

TJ's "bog"??? Freudian, or just typing too fast?

Ron said...

I have found that "I Can Only Imagine" has really touched me lately. We sang it all month long in February in talking about a place that you can only imagine.

I love the imagry of not knowing whether I will even be able to speak or even stand. But always leave with "I can only imagine".

This goes very nicely along with "I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger".

Can't wait to get home.

Katherine said...

Well I got ahead of the game yesterday by claiming one of my favorite contemporary praise songs, and well...it is still one of my favs today: "Blessed Be Your Name"-and that did become extra special during the tragedy at Highland; then I have always loved "Days of Elijah" because it is singing about the excitement of Jesus' return which I can't wait for...and another one that has become more meaningful to me every day is "We Are The Body of Christ"-because I don't have a clue what I would do without that body and I know that it is sustaining SO many people right now...praise God we were made for community!! And praise Him for music...oh how it ministers to my soul like nothing else can...

Oh, and one more-the song "How Great Is Our God" off of Chris Tomlin's CD "Arriving" is just amazing...such simple words, but what a powerful message!!

Still praying for the Shaub's and Griffith's...

Katherine said...

Wow Becky-thanks for sharing your heart with us-and I am sorry for your loss. I love "Here In This Place"-it speaks volumes and it just cries out to God.

Sometimes I find worship expresses things that I cannot and it is amazing when I enter into that throne room and I feel like I have nothing left to give...He does provide and touches my soul, my heart, something deep within me that I didn't know was there, and for the moment-I find strength and peace.

May our God provide you with strength, peace, and the hope of a new day...

ann said...

What a great two days of blog topics and comments. Today's (contemporary praise songs), however, does make me homesick. I moved to Japan 6 months ago, and surprisingly enough there is somewhat of a dirth of contemporary praise songs here. :) Is there any way that the Zoe Group could think about putting their songs online for purchase and downloading? Thanks to all of you for bringing back memories of great and inspirational songs.

JD said...

For Contemplation: Above All

For Celebration: I Belong to Jesus

More than Enough has become a great song in my heart as well.

Jana said...

"Help Us Our God" - first heard it led by Jeff Berry at Grace in Abilene. I remember singing this song soon after the Columbine shootings...and meaning every word of it!