Friday, October 13, 2006

It's been 15 years today since I lost my father. 15 years. So many memories from that day are still very fresh. I remember believing that God would heal my dad and being convinced of it until the very last moment. I remember the disappointment and my first encounter with "a road marked with suffering". I remember how it felt to be standing over him rubbing his feet as he took his last breath. I remember the silence of that room afterwards. I remember this profound realization as a 21 year old that what was left of him was truly a vessel...and yet, it was so very difficult to let go of the physical vessel. The arms that carried me for so many years. The fingers that scratched my back more than a million times. Those big goofy ears. That smile that lit up a room. The laugh that was so contagious. The feet that I desperately tried to put into Cole Haan shoes but usually ended up in velcro sneakers of some sort. The hands that looked just like mine do now. That unmistakable voice and the way he called me "Bran". That incredible sense of humor...

Today kind of snuck up on me. I was caught off guard this morning by my reaction. I knew it was coming this week, but the memories seem fresh today.

One thing that will help...I am about to head out to a video shoot. Operation Andrew, this organization in Middle Tennessee that promotes racial and denominational reconciliation, is doing a special story on my friendship with Victor Wynn at the Temple Church. Vic and I have done lots of stuff together---the Gaylord Arena Nashville worship service, the Ryman Auditorium Thanksgiving thing, we've been in each others' churches and his group has joined us a couple of times for special Christmas concerts here. We're good friends. Thing is...it always makes me feel kind of weird that we have sometimes been the poster children for racial harmony. (This isn't the first time) I mean, we talk usually weekly and when I call him I'm not really thinking...hmmmm, I should call my African American friend from a different denomination. You know? Vic and I are like brothers. It's not hard to be in his world and life. I have more in common with him than I would half of the white guys leading worship in Nashville. It just seems funny and a little sad sometimes that it's such a surprise to people that we're such good friends and that we love combining our ministries. Whatever the case...we're shooting this video today which will be used in marketing, etc and will be shown at the big annual OA banquet. There are well over 100 churches in the area that are a part of Operation Andrew. I hope, in some weird way, that our friendship can bless people.

It would be cool if my dad was here and I could take him over there with me. This seems a great way to celebrate him today.

6 comments:

Craig said...

Your dad is one of the main reasns I am in education. What a blessing he was.

julie said...

Brandon, I never met your dad but I have heard "Sam stories" from you and your mom and I love him after hearing those stories. He would love standing next to you at this time in your life. He would love being a part of his grandchildren's lives. I know that he hates that you suffer from his loss.
Much love and peace sent your way today.

Kelley said...

Thanks for introducing your dad to those us who didn't know him.
Death is a real jolt to our faith isn't it. I find that it is either the spark that puts people in motion or the explosion that finishes them. Or sometimes both.
Isn't it funny how some people look at racial diverse friendships as odd and something to marvel at while those of us who have a wide range of friends just look at them as .....friends.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.
Funny thing though, I am red and white and really white and mixed together is just came out really really white. hehehe

Stephen Bailey said...

15 years is hard to believe. Hold your little Sam close tonight and thank God for your Dad's legacy. Much love.

Kelley said...

Strange, Justin.....
Political correctness can change what is a perfectly wonderful little song about loving everyone into something heard in "different shades".
As for me, I'll just keep on singing, "Red and yellow, black and white" cause I know what I mean.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about your dad. That really, really sucks. You are in my prayers today.